What the hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Started by filmcritic, July 22, 2003, 03:34:31 PM

Ravi

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
That's the cover to a really weird Harlequin romance novel.

Alethia

why the hell is ET like six feet tall in that picture?

72teeth

Actually, Spielberg is only 2'6" in that picture.....
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Weird. Oh

I guess Mr. Mapother finally tamed that pussy.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

MacGuffin

Travolta and Preston Suggest a "Silent Birth" to Katie

Scientology couple John Travolta and Kelly Preston are urging Katie Holmes to have a 'silent birth' when she delivers fiance Tom Cruise's baby next year and follow the church's strict doctrines. Scientologists believe children should be brought into the world without any fuss and be allowed to quietly get used to their surroundings. That means no music, no chatting and no expressions of pain from the mother. Preston explains, "It's just because everything in moments of pain is really recorded and you want to have that (the birth) peaceful and clear of sort of suggestions or different words that can then affect them (babies) in their future."

Holmes Dumps Publicist for Cruise's Sister

Pregnant actress Katie Holmes has fired her publicist Leslie Sloane-Zelnick after nine years together, and has hired her fiance Tom Cruise's sister as her new spokesperson. The Batman Begins star and Cruise announced her pregnancy last week, which comes only six months after the couple began dating. Since Holmes began her controversial relationship with Cruise, she has parted ways with her management company, agents and now Sloane-Zelnick. Holmes will now be represented by Cruise's sister and fellow Scientologist Lee Anne DeVette, who became the actor's spokesperson last year after he left his longtime publicist Pat Kingsley. Sloane-Zelnick tells the New York Daily News, "We were with her for nine years. We wish her the best. She has chosen to work with her future sister-in-law. We wish her well, and congratulate her on her happy news."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

I hope, when he gets killed, his murderers make him die silently.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

"One of us! One of us! Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble, one of us! One of us!"
My house, my rules, my coffee

Thrindle

Quote from: GamblourI hope, when he gets killed, his murderers make him die silently.
Exactly.

I understand the concept of a quiet room, warm lighting, etc... I'm sure going from the womb to a room of fleurescent lighting and noise is hectic, but NO EXPRESSIONS OF PAIN?!  Fuck off.  Life is pain you assholes, teach 'em young.
Classic.

ono

Quote from: Free Form WeirdoI guess Mr. Mapother finally tamed that pussy.
Cunt.   :roll:

Pas

Quote from: Thrindle
Exactly.

I understand the concept of a quiet room, warm lighting, etc... I'm sure going from the womb to a room of fleurescent lighting and noise is hectic, but NO EXPRESSIONS OF PAIN?!  Fuck off.  Life is pain you assholes, teach 'em young.

Exactly. I've been fighting this idea for years. It's a loving parent's duty to beat a little bit his children. Like not to much so he doesn't have visible bruises. You can use a phone book to cover the marks. Or beat him under the feet that's an old loving parent's trick. Life is pain you assholes, teach 'em young.

MacGuffin

Cruise Control Shifts Gears

Tom Cruise is "restructuring."

Hollywood's leading leading man has dumped sister Lee Anne De Vette as his publicist and enlisted power publicity firm Rogers & Cowan.

The moves come in the wake of Cruise's endless summer in which he talked up War of the Worlds, vitamins and exercise, and Katie Holmes--not necessarily in that order.

In the tradition of Hollywood divorces, the Rogers & Cowan-for-De Vette swap was announced on Friday. And in the tradition of press releases about Hollywood divorces, the statement accentuated the positive.

Technically, the release wasn't about De Vette's dumping. Rather, it was about her being tapped to "exclusively oversee the day to day operations of Tom Cruise's philanthropic activities."

Cruise, 43, praised De Vette for having done a "wonderful job" as his personal publicist. De Vette, for her part, was "thrilled" with her new duties. There was no mention of Cruise and De Vette choosing to remain friends, but it was understood they would remain siblings.

As part of Cruise's staff "restructuring," as the statement put it, Rogers & Cowan also will handle publicity for the star's production shingle, Cruise-Wagner Productions. The company's upcoming projects include Mission: Impossible 3, due out next summer.

Rogers & Cowan, PR home to stars such as John Travolta, said on Monday it was not representing Holmes. Cruise's with-child fiancée recently ditched her own longtime publicist, Leslie Sloane, for De Vette.

De Vette succeeded Pat Kingsley as Cruise's publicist last year. Under Kingsley, Cruise cemented his status as the world's top movie star. With De Vette, Cruise enjoyed his biggest box-office hit ever (War of the Worlds) and suffered his worst publicity ever.

A recent report by Genius Insight, a New York-based marketing and research firm, found that Cruise's likeability sunk among 13- to 49-year-olds as the actor jumped on Oprah Winfrey's couch to declare his love for Holmes, took Matt Lauer to task for being "glib," prescribed vitamins and exercise for Brooke Shields and other women coping with postpartum depression, and generally became an outspoken advocate for Scientology. Per the study, Cruise went from the 11th most liked celebrity in the spring, to the 197th most liked celebrity in the summer. Worse, he joined David Spade, Pauly Shore and Tom Green as one of the five most polarizing stars. (Ashton Kutcher rounded out the group.)

To Ann Gabriel, a public relations expert who testified at Michael Jackson's molestation trial about the PR debacle the singer faced in the wake of the 2003 Martin Bashir documentary, Living with Michael Jackson, Cruise's summer was a 15 on the PR Disaster Scale of 1-10, with 10 supposedly being the most disastrous. (On the stand, she said Jackson's Bashir problem rated a 25.)

"I think it was off the scale," Gabriel said of Cruise. "I think if he's truly happy with his life there were probably some ways he could have better chosen to portray his newfound happiness."

Gabriel, who briefly worked for Jackson in 2003, said Cruise and the pop star are similar in that both lost touch with the public.

"I'm sure Michael didn't perceive his actions would be scrutinized the way they were or possibly misinterpreted," Gabriel said. "And I don't believe Tom Cruise believed his comments about postpartum depression would be as scrutinized."

Cruise's publicity firm shakeup is a sign to Gabriel, for one, that "he understands that he may have overstepped some of those boundaries."

In short, maybe next time sit on the couch.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Cruise receives Stanley Kubrick Excellence in Film Award from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.

Paparazzi were swarming and helicopters hovering in anticipation. Imagine the disappointment as word spread that Hollywood's most openly adoring couple would not do the red carpet.
The media was left without a single shot when Tom and Katie snuck in the back entrance of the Beverly Hilton without a single liplock or gush about true love. A coincidence? Not by a long shot. Consider this the first evidence that all things Cruise are changing since the superstar replaced his sis, Lee Anne DeVette, as his PR adviser with the legendary Paul Bloch.

Tom was on hand to accept the Stanley Kubrick Excellence in Film Award from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts — an honor you don't take lightly. Press was not welcome inside the dinner — no TV cameras allowed — but of course, the Wolf wangled an invite to join Tom and Katie and about a thousand well-wishers. So you won't be seeing close-up details about TomKat's first public appearance since the PR switcheroo anywhere else.

Here's how it went down: Unlike past events, Tom and Katie stopped for only one photo op — and it was a private gesture of respect: backstage with fellow honoree Elizabeth Taylor, still confined to a wheelchair. Then a flurry of excitement as the pair walked to their table seated with Paula Wagner (Cruise's long-time filmmaking partner) and his long-time agent Rick Nicita. While he was always ready to flash that famous smile, the man was noticeably keeping his emotions more private in public.

Let's be clear, I know that my friend Paul Bloch — whose clients include majorly famous faces like Bruce Willis and David Beckham — didn't send Tom to obedience training. But I'm sure he was hired to restore luster to the star's image and downplay some embarrassing PDA. Could this mean a lower profile for Tom's commitment to Scientology? Who knows, but I'm betting you'll be seeing a lot less of Cruise in the public eye.

Bloch understands polite but firm control of the media for his famous clients. Magazines can't run pictures they don't have or play with quotes when there are none. The mystique that has surrounded Tom, his distance from personal revelations, is just what he needs to keep him on that pedestal as the biggest movie star in the world.

That's exactly what BAFTA was recognizing. Tom's speech was impressive — elegant and heartfelt: "I take this particular award with my eyes wide open to its responsibility." But the biggest surprise was that he didn't acknowledge Katie from the stage.

She looked proud anyway as her man got a standing ovation.

Link.
http://movies.go.com/jeannewolf?columnid=745006

MacGuffin

Cruise Keeps Eye on Fetus

Tom Cruise has already claimed to know the history of psychiatry. Now he's working on getting acquainted with OB/GYN.

The couch-jumping thesp has acquired a sonogram machine with which to personally track the progress of the fetus currently incased in his fiancee Katie Holmes' womb.

Cruise revealed the purchase during an interview with Barbara Walters taped Oct. 30 for the veteran newswoman's upcoming special, Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2005, scheduled to air Tuesday on ABC.

"I bought a sonogram machine," Cruise told Walters. "I am going to donate it to a hospital when we are done."

Somewhat startled, Walters replied, "Wait, you are going to do your own sonogram?"

"Yes," Cruise replied, chuckling.

Sonogram machines, which use ultrasound waves to monitor a baby's development, can cost anywhere from $15,000 to $200,000. No word on how much Cruise shelled out to purchase his own.

Cruise told Walters he did not yet know the sex of his first genetic offspring.

"Barbara, I would tell you," he said. "I would say, 'I know if it's a boy or a girl, and I'm not telling you.' "

"So what do you see?" Walters asked. "A little baby," the actor replied.

Fascinating, indeed.

The War of the Worlds star also told Walters that he and Holmes would wait to get married until after their child's birth, though it's unclear exactly when that blessed event may occur.

"We are going to get married next summer or early fall," he told Walters. "We don't have a date set yet."

The affianced duo recently departed for Shanghai, where they'll spend a couple of weeks while Cruise films scenes for Mission: Impossible 3.

According to the Shanghai Daily's Website, Cruise and Holmes have been taking in the local sights, including the Chenghuang Temple, a resort featuring old-style architecture, as well as dining heartily on Sichuan cuisine.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

new publicist not off to such a great start.  seems crazier than ever.  just look at that headline.  :doh:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 07, 2005, 11:01:35 PM
Cruise Control Shifts Gears

Tom Cruise is "restructuring."

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 23, 2005, 02:16:11 PM
Cruise Keeps Eye on Fetus

"just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in"