What the hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Started by filmcritic, July 22, 2003, 03:34:31 PM

hedwig

i believe in everything. including aliens.

i don't think him believing in aliens is weird. i think the "ARE YOU REALLY SO ARROGANT" thing is a bit...odd.

however, in my opinion, cruise is forgiven for all recent weirdness=because of ray ferrier.

meatball

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: matt35mm
Quote from: Thrindle
Quote from: matt35mmHis behavior is only strange relative to everyone else in the world--but he's one of the few people who dares to just be himself and not give a damn what others think of him.  He's an individual, to be sure.
I've been working 60 hours a week (literally) so here's my late reply.

He stayed on top for so long because he had a carefully conformed image.  never kid yourself.  Doesn't care what other people think... righto buddy.
How could be possibly care what people think?  Have you SEEN his recent behavior?  He knows that most people would rather him tone it down, but he doesn't seem to care.  He's said he doesn't give a damn, and I think that's what his behavior shows.  Unless he wants to project the image of a man who doesn't give a damn... in which case I don't understand the motivation behind that, when it ultimately makes him less popular.
dude, ur giving him way too much credit.

it's one thing to be in love, say, when ur a teenager, where behaving like a crazy person (sporadically wrestling with oprah qualifies) is normal. but [to recap] the dude is 42, he's supposedly been 'in love' before, at least 3 times that we know of; has kept his cool for two decades, living a relatively private love life; and he DOES care what ppl think cos he's sued ppl for calling him gay. writing him off as "oh he's just in love" is being completely oblivious to the reality of the situation.

he thinks he's acting smooth. that's the disturbing part.

Never thought I'd see Thrindle and Pubrick "owning" together.

MacGuffin

Shields Rips Cruise's 'Ridiculous Rant'

Brooke Shields took aim at Tom Cruise's "Today" show diatribe against antidepressants, saying the drugs helped her survive feelings of hopelessness after the birth of her first child. In an op-ed piece published Friday in The New York Times, Shields criticized what she called Cruise's "ridiculous rant."

Cruise had criticized the actress for taking the drugs, and became particularly passionate about the issue in an interview on "Today" last week.

"You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do," Cruise told Matt Lauer.

He went on to say there was no such thing as chemical imbalances that need to be corrected with drugs, and that depression could be treated with exercise and vitamins.

"I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression," Shields wrote.

She added that Cruise's comments "are a disservice to mothers everywhere. To suggest that I was wrong to take drugs to deal with my depression, and that instead I should have taken vitamins and exercised shows an utter lack of understanding about postpartum depression and childbirth in general."

Shields said she considered swallowing a bottle of pills or jumping out the window at the lowest point of her depression following the birth of her daughter, Rowan Francis, in 2003. A doctor later attributed her feelings to a plunge in her estrogen and progesterone levels and prescribed the antidepressant Paxil.

"If any good can come of Mr. Cruise's ridiculous rant, let's hope that it gives much-needed attention to a serious disease," she wrote.

Shields described her post-childbirth experiences in the book "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression."

Cruise is a follower of Scientology, a religion that teaches that psychiatry is a destructive pseudo-science.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Sigur Rós

If Tom Cruise was an animal he would be a goat!

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Sigur Rós

Quote from: StefenWhat? No he wouldn't.

Yes he would Stefen. Stefen is that like a Swedish name?

mogwai

Quote from: Sigur
Quote from: StefenWhat? No he wouldn't.

Yes he would Stefen. Stefen is that like a Swedish name?
no, but stefan is. stefen kinda rhymes with chefen. svenska chefen.

Stefen

Stefen and Thor are the coolest names on the board. Everyone else has names like Jim, Rick, and Fran.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

can alexandro, fernando and i join you guys?
context, context, context.

Stefen

YES. What do you bring to the table besides cool names? We need to have an identity.

context, context, context.

Stefen

Muscle, good. Thor and I got the looks covered. But no more members. We need a name.