What the hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Started by filmcritic, July 22, 2003, 03:34:31 PM

Gold Trumpet

my favorite performance by him is in Rain Man.

~rougerum

TheVoiceOfNick

Ok, has anyone seen "A Few Good Men"? That's one of my all time favorites, and I think both Tom and Jack were at their best in this... it shows Tom could play subtle characters that have issues to deal with...

Coincidentally, that movie is a favorite for beginning or ending my 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon bit...

Nick

filmcritic

Yeah, I liked that one too. It's not one of my favorites and I think it's a little overrated, but Cruise was excellent in that film.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

MacGuffin

Tom Cruise Returning to the Skies in The Few
Source: Variety

Tom Cruise, who became a global star in Top Gun wants to return to the skies. He's up for playing Billy Fiske, the first American pilot killed fighting the Germans in World War II, in The Few for Paramount Pictures.

Michael Mann will direct, and John Logan, who wrote the upcoming Cruise-starrer The Last Samurai, is in talks to write the script, based on a book proposal by Alex Kershaw. Variety describes the story:

Fiske, an Olympic athlete and fighter pilot who was half-American and half-British, led a small group of American pilots who broke U.S. neutrality rules in the early days of WWII to fight with the British against the Nazis.

In 1940, expert German fighters had decimated the Royal Air Force to the point that there weren't enough pilots left to fly the Spitfire planes sitting idly in hangars. Unable to rouse the U.S. into action, a desperate Winston Churchill hatched a covert effort to recruit civilian American pilots to join the RAF. Risking prison sentences in the then-neutral U.S., a ragtag bunch of pilots answered the call.

Mann and Cruise are about to work together on Collateral.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Sounds ok, but more importantly I'm eager to see Mann with that kind of budget.  

Great talent flowing through millions of dollars.  Let's hope they give him final cut, too.

Vile5

his best work in my opinion is his Frank TJ Mackey, i know almost every character he made has something of himself, but that's not a crime for an actor, the actor's job is makes believe viewres that he/she is not acting, and Tom Cruise made that in Magnolia, and very very well (i don't know why he didn't win the oscar that year)
and i think he's a good actor but sometimes he wants to be just a star, as in Vanila Sky or MI, MI:2, or Days of Thunder etc... i just hope he'd decided being an actor in his next movie...
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Duck Sauce

Collateral

i dont care if they have been posted

picolas

Quote from: Duck Sauce
this movie must be set in the future, where every car has a giant fridge nailed to the front in order to save time.

Duck Sauce

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck Sauceyeah, how you like that macguffin

How do you like mod-age beat you to it a while ago?
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1945&start=30
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Duck Sauceyeah, how you like that macguffin

How do you like mod-age beat you to it a while ago?
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1945&start=30

bud did he have the cab with the commercial refrigirator on the hood?

meatball

I can't wait to see Last Samurai and Collateral. Has Tom Cruise ever had a slump? It seems like he's always been on top of his game ever since he got into acting.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: meatballI can't wait to see Last Samurai and Collateral. Has Tom Cruise ever had a slump? It seems like he's always been on top of his game ever since he got into acting.

He did that Ron Howard movie with Nicole Kidman...
Si

Alethia

but we dont have to talk about that.........

the first movie he ever did was love story, was it not?  i think it was, lemme check........

EDIT: nope, my bad....ENDLESS LOVE....i was close

Fernando

TOM CRUISE at The Actors Studio
Premieres Sunday, January 11 at 8/7 PM

'Also in January, Tom Cruise, one of America's most well loved actors, joins James Lipton on Inside the Actors Studio. Cruise, who began his teenage years studying to be a priest, soon found another calling – acting. From his film debut with a small part in Endless Love, it took him only two short years to land the starring role in Risky Business, a role for which he earned a Golden Globe nomination. Cruise's subsequent films include Top Gun, Born on the Fourth of July, A Few Good Men, Jerry Maguire, and Mission Impossible. His performances have earned him three Oscar nominations and three Golden Globe wins. Cruise can be seen most recently in the film The Last Samurai.'

Am I the only one who finds odd that they don't mention EWS or Magnolia?
I just hope James 'please tell me how you felt when you received the academy award' Lipton doesn't skip any of those.