Locations from PTA's films

Started by ksmc, July 20, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

ksmc

Hey guys, I plan to be visiting the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area in the coming weeks, and I was hoping--if any of you know--if you guys could tell me some of the locations that PTA has used in his films. I would love to check out some of the sites. Thanks for any help.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

©brad

hmm. well to be honest i wouldn't imagine the locations would be all that exciting to see in person, if u think about it most of his films take place in hallways, parking lots, warehouses, and kitchens. but hey, by all means, if u have the time/means to see them, rock on. ask mac, he lives in l.a. and has probably visited atleast one or two of the locations, but u probably will have to be more specific as to which ones u really want to see.

personally, after seeing lord of the rings i really want to go out to new zealand. any of u aussies been there before?

Duck Sauce

MacGuffin

*Eckhart's Auto Body Shop from "PDL" is on 10101 Canoga Avenue in Chatsworth.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

The apartment building in Magnolia is called The Bryson (a friend used to live there, I'm very familiar with it).  It is on the corner of Wilshire and Rampart.  It's a few blocks east of Vermont Avenue.
Music is your best entertainment value.

soixante

Another fun fact about  The Bryson -- much of Barfly, the 1987 film with Mickey Rourke, was filmed there.
Music is your best entertainment value.

thedog

Visiting the donut shop from Boogie Nights is an electrifying experience, like visiting a crime scene. Even though they changed the counter around a little. It's crazy. The people in there must have thought I was nuts, what with me looking around and everything.

Interesting fact: The gas station in Magnolia which JCR and WHM hide under during the frog sequence is located on the corner of Sherman Way and Reseda Blvd. The donut shop ("Miss Donuts") is on Sherman Way about two blocks east of Reseda Blvd. Hence, the donut shop and gas station are about two blocks away from eachother.

P.S. Eckhart's Auto Body shop is about a thousand blocks away from both of these locations, if anyone is wondering about the "Reseda" name.

boombanglarrabee

Quote from: MacGuffin*Eckhart's Auto Body Shop from "PDL" is on 10101 Canoga Avenue in Reseda.

It's actually considered Chatsworth, not Reseda.

Teen Wolf

The Smiling Peanut location from Magnolia (where many of William Macy's scenes were shot) is located at 12516 Magnolia Blvd. in North Hollywood and is called the Fox Fire Room.

Pozer

Quote from: thedogVisiting the donut shop from Boogie Nights is an electrifying experience, like visiting a crime scene. Even though they changed the counter around a little. It's crazy. The people in there must have thought I was nuts, what with me looking around and everything.

Interesting fact: The gas station in Magnolia which JCR and WHM hide under during the frog sequence is located on the corner of Sherman Way and Reseda Blvd. The donut shop ("Miss Donuts") is on Sherman Way about two blocks east of Reseda Blvd. Hence, the donut shop and gas station are about two blocks away from eachother.

and so is the opening of Boogie Nights with the Reseda sign and Maurices club. also, across from Miss Donuts is the parking lot where Dirk gets beat by the surfers (I think it's a Bank of America or maybe Washington Mutual) right across from that Catholic Church with the virgin Mary that you can see in the b.g. of the scene.

I met Paul at a Q&A at Cal State Northridge which is just a couple blocks from these locations. Cal State Northridge is referenced as CSUN in Boogie Nights which was in Footloose with Kevin Bacon!

TheVoiceOfNick

Its really funny, because I actually live about 2 or 3 miles from all of these places... The opening scene in Boogie Nights used to be called the Reseda Country Club... they used to hold concerts and wrestling shows there... now its called "Iglesia Cristiana"... some latin bible thumpers took it over... grrrr! Anyways, the street Sherman Way is littered with spots to see... even the street itself... the view outside the limo in boogie nights is Sherman Way.

I actually went to 10101 Canoga and shot some DV footage of myself being Adam Sandler.... until these two big guys came out and said "vallase de aqui! llamo la policia!"... hrm... i haven't been back since.

Nick

Lance

yeah PTA totally ripped off short cuts. love magnolia, but was very smiliar to short cuts

Pubrick

Quote from: Lanceyeah PTA totally ripped off short cuts. love magnolia, but was very smiliar to short cuts
under the paving stones.

Alethia

jokerspath

Quote from: Lanceyeah PTA totally ripped off short cuts. love magnolia, but was very smiliar to short cuts

I have a friend who puts Magnolia down with Grand Canyon...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT