What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

polkablues

I think we all have that one movie, though, that we can't help but love more than the world finds acceptable.  For instance, P is obsessed with some imaginary Terrence Malick movie that he's convinced actually exists.  And I love Waking the Dead.  So we all have our crosses to bear.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

1. There Will Be Blood  (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
2. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
3. Dancer in the Dark (Lars von Trier, 2000)
4. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
5. Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)
6. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (Robert Altman, 1971)
7. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)
8. Der freie Wille (Matthias Glasner, 2006)
9. Se7en (David Fincher, 1995)
10. Paris Texas (Wim Wenders, 1986)

theyarelegion

lately

punch-drunk love
key largo
barry lyndon
goodfellas
the bicycle thief

Sleepless

Based off films I will rewatch over and over again, there are three (in no particular order) that I'd say are definitely solid "favorites" of mine:

There Will Be Blood
Jurassic Park
The Life And Death of Colonel Blimp

And, yes, I know it's another Spielberg, but: Raiders of the Lost Ark

These are my (guilty) favorites, remember - not necessarily my "best" films. That's a whole other list.

Used to be I'd include American Beauty on this list too, but although I have been wanting to rewatch it recently, it has been a few years. 25th Hour and Fight Club, too. Maybe some Pixars. Potentially Darjeeling Limited.

Can't think of others right now that I'd say were really favorites, although there are others I've rewatched numerous times also.

EDIT: In Bruges is close to being on the list too.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

squints

Quote from: theyarelegion on September 20, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
punch-drunk love

just watched this again last night. for like the 19th time. I'm convinced it is my favorite movie ever.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

Punch Drunk Love goes right at the top of my list.
Jackie Brown
The Shining
Sling Blade
Taxi Driver

theyarelegion

Quote from: squints on September 20, 2011, 10:30:10 AM
Quote from: theyarelegion on September 20, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
punch-drunk love

just watched this again last night. for like the 19th time. I'm convinced it is my favorite movie ever.

yep! lately i've been reaching for it again and again over pta's other movies...

Stefen

I used to watch PDL about once a year, but I'm saving my next experience for when it comes out on blu-ray. WHY ISN'T IT OUT ON BLU-RAY?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

72teeth

Quote from: squints on September 20, 2011, 02:13:40 PM
Quote from: Sleepless on September 20, 2011, 02:00:26 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 20, 2011, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: Reelist on September 20, 2011, 10:46:32 AMJackie Brown

I still think this is Tarantino's best film.

There's no question in my mind.

This is a given. He'll never come close to this again.

This is why i love xixax. Ive only ever heard gasps at the menton of this, but its completely true.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

ono

It's because he's so subdued.  He controls all his worst impulses and that's what makes it work.

O.

It was a balancing act. He showed directorial restraint with Jackie Brown, then directly afterwards, showed the exact opposite with Kill Bill.
superb

pete

jackie brown was good, but out of sight good. it's much more interesting to see the mess he made in kill bill, and while I don't champion the film, I really don't find much wrong with it, and I enjoy seeing where he takes me and I enjoy mostly how his films are just basically 8 or 9 really long scenes that build on themselves, mostly through talking. these are fun things that I enjoy seeing in a film, not every film, but it's cool when he comes out with one every three years.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton