Favorite War Films

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 15, 2003, 11:24:04 PM

SoNowThen

Nothing new here:

Redux
Full Metal Jacket
Thin Red Line
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenRedux
Full Metal Jacket
Thin Red Line
yep that's pretty much it.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

War Games
The War (with kev cost)
The War of the Roses

budgie

The Battle of Algiers.
Black Hawk Down.
MASH

Also The Dam Busters gripped me when I saw it.

Do love The Great Escape and The Dirty Dozen.

godardian

Thanks for remind of M*A*S*H*; though it still wouldn't make my personal top 3, it didn't even cross my mind, as Dr. Strangelove and Closely Watched Trains did...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

i don't like war films. i did like three kings and i also liked full metal jacket. but that's about it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

squints

a couple additions since 2003:

Downfall
A Very Long Engagment

I haven't seen too many WWI films and the french Engagment was absolutely great in more than a "war movie" sense and does anyone have any suggestions for any good foreign war movies? i'd love to see a japanese or russian WWII films but i don't know of any? my dad is a vietnam vet and he didn't appreciate apocolypse now or platoon but his favorite seems to be hamburger hill and the first half of full metal jacket...he also said mel gibson is a douche and we were soldiers is crap but i'm embarassed to say i enjoyed it (overall though he's not too keen on war movies in general)

i just saw Saints & Soldiers which is pretty good considering the budget they were working with but a mediocre movie overall

what i always find more fascinating, however, is the documentary footage from the WWII era. just the other day i saw on the history channel actual footage of Frau Goebbles's six childrens' corpses all lined up next to the charred remains of their mother and father plus there was footage of mrs. goebbles spooning medicine into her childrens' mouths...i doubt those chilling and disturbing images would have had the same effect had I NOT seen Downfall

also this is a pretty interesting book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0816044791/104-7972783-9700730?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

JG

I like a lot of war movies:  Downfall, Three Kings, Full Metal Jacket, Patton, Strangelove, Deer Hunter, Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan and I think Black Hawk Down is pretty underrated although it doesn't belong in a group with these movies. 

I don't like em cause they're war movies, just cause they're fine movies. 

SHAFTR

Bridge On The River Kwai
The Grand Illusion
Mash
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
Apocalypse Now
Paths of Glory

Dances with Wolves (perhaps it could count)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (same as above)
Lawrence of Arabia (...)
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Comte de Saint Germain

If only more people watched How I Won the War.
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

ono

Kinda hard when it's not on DVD or VHS in the US.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 04, 2005, 04:32:39 AM
Kinda hard when it's not on DVD or VHS in the US.

You can buy it used VHS pretty easily.

Alethia

Quote from: Comte de Saint Germain on December 04, 2005, 04:10:52 AM
If only more people watched How I Won the War.

great movie, tho i wouldnt list it

most of my choices have already been posted by others, with the very notable exception of THE BIG RED ONE: THE RECONSTRUCTION

Reinhold

Quote from: Cecil on June 16, 2003, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: children with angelsDoes Dr Strangelove count as a war film? If so: my vote goes there.

i dunno, id consider it more of a comedy, or satire.

mhmm.

if casablanca counts as a war film, then it gets my vote.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

squints

Korean film about the South's struggle against the North and 2 brothers who are mixed up in the whole mess...pretty amazing visually, great story, just as intense and invovling as anything i've seen from the WWII/Vietnam movies
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche