Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies?

Started by modage, June 14, 2003, 10:07:53 PM

ShanghaiOrange

1. Brazil
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Empire Strikes Back (which is fantasy so maybe ET instead)
4. Blade Runner
5. 12 Monkeys
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Back To The Future
8. Aliens
9. Dark City
10. Planet of the Apes (1968)[/i]
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Derek

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

I'm not sure if I'd put the original Solaris in my top ten at all. Both the original and remake seem to have qualities about them that are intriguing but never fully rewarding. The remake is able to lift much of the humanity from the novel but still never goes beyond that. Its an exercise in everything already seen from the first visually and narratively and the moments of revelation feel like a game of kissing the foot of another work instead. The original on the other hand, seems to act as 2001 but as if 2001 took place entirely on the space ship. 2001 has various locations and fills up the atmosphere with music to play to the emptiness in the movie in making it a more bearable experience. Solaris is meditative and atmospheric, but really on a very minor level when compared to 2001. With its story and approach on how it seemed more like a human drama, I just wish there would have been more advancements in the story and less minor moments of reflection by the main character for endless periods of time. It would have been a more rewarding film. I still like the original and really loved it when I first watched it, but my opinion is dwindling. its trying to be 2001 when it doesn't have the qualities to boot.

~rougerum

modage

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange
3. Empire Strikes Back (which is fantasy so maybe ET instead)

yeah i was struggling with whether or not the Star Wars trilogy even counts as sci-fi since theres not really any science involved i think they really do count as fantasy. i didnt list et either, because i thought that it was certainly in the fantasy realm.  same with back to the future.

Quote from: ebeaman
-codename:dragonfly
-punch drunk love

have you honestly not seen enough decent sci-fi flicks that you had to name these?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

EL__SCORCHO

Spaceballs is the best sci-fi movie ever!

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: ebeaman
-codename:dragonfly
-punch drunk love

have you honestly not seen enough decent sci-fi flicks that you had to name these?

Yea, I'm not really that big on sci-fi. I do love all the movies I listed a lot though and I'm open to recommendations. Most of it just doesn't do a whole lot for me, that's all. The only sci-fi I have yet to see that interests me the least bit is Tarkovsky's stuff and then Close Encounters like I said. And when I make any kind of "best of" list, I don't use decent movies I've seen to fill in the blanks...they don't fit.

Sprimetv

i have to agree.. Wrath of Khan should be in there somewhere.
public access is funniest when drunk

chainsmoking insomniac

Nobody mentioned Predator.  And yes, Space Balls is a fantastic sci-fi movie.  :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

Or Predator 2 for that matter.  One of my fave sequels (and I typically hate sequels.)

Quote from: punchdrunk23Sorry for all the posts folks.  Last one on this thread for awhile, promise (my brain's working in spurts today)....but the best sci-fi flick IMO has to be Close Encounters of the Third Kind!

edited by admin who encourage the use of the function instead of posting 3 times in 3 minutes in the same thread and also advises u to check the other thread where u have done this so that u may remember and prevent urself from doing it again.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Myxo

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. The Day The Earth Stood Still
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Solaris (Tarkovsky)
5. Blade Runner
6. Star Wars (ESB)
7. The Matrix
8. Princess Mononoke
9. Ghost In The Shell
10. Gatacca

Pubrick

the one good thing that has come out of this list crap is that whenever i can't get to sleep, there's no shortage of where to go for assistance.
under the paving stones.

Myxo

Quote from: Pthe one good thing that has come out of this list crap is that whenever i can't get to sleep, there's no shortage of where to go for assistance.

I usually don't read "crap" if I don't like it. You might try that sometime. It works great.

Pubrick

Quote from: halo_onI usually don't read "crap" if I don't like it. You might try that sometime. It works great.
u might try shutting up. thanksinadvance.
under the paving stones.

life_boy

My list wouldn't look much different then those that came before me.  I would have The Abyss on it, though.  I didn't see anyone mention that one yet.

Grand Epic

I'll post a top ten list later. Before I do, I just wanted to point ou that nobodt has mentioned the John Frankenheimer film Seconds with Rock Hudson in the lead role.