Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

ono

Me, I don't think the average person should or would be attracted to a Tarantino film.  While I enjoyed Kill Bill, it lacked heart.  Pulp Fiction was a masterpiece, Jackie Brown was a fine wine, so mature.  And I would hope, in an ideal society, that it's Jackie Brown that people would be drawn to.  I think it's his most accomplished work, come to think of it.  Though Pulp Fiction is his best overall, Jackie Brown is so much more mature, leisurely, and thought out, and that really speaks volumes about what Tarantino is capable of, once he gets the need to show off out of his system.

As for PTA, well, yes, everyone should love his films.  It pisses me off that pop culture has turned the majority of films into tired rehashes and lame sitcoms.  PTA is where it's at if you want to get an accurate depiction of the human condition, and realistic, heartwarming (or heartrending) drama.  But I think those days will be over soon, as PTA is an artist, and my guess (or hope, really) is he'll digress further and further away from these normal narratives and start giving us stuff that is really unique.  You think frogs falling from the sky, broken harmoniums, and random truck crashes were weird?  You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Banky

i would like to see this

or this

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

Weak2ndAct

Well, finally got around to a second viewing tonite.  It was good to have some distance after my initial KB overload (like reading the script beforehand, seeing oodles of clips, and building it up in my head).  I truly, deeply loved it this time.  Even more that I first did.  Old gripes vanished, don't have any new ones.

Though, I did have one thought... how pimp would it have been during the last line if the camera craned up to Bill's face?  I mean, the last line's such an 'oh shit!', I think I would have had a nervous breakdown if they did the reveal then.  Oh well, hoping it's done right in Vol. 2.

modage

what happened to the tarantino thread?  kill bill just came out a little over a month ago and its been so inactive over here.  arent there still ripples from pdl going on in the pta forum?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02what happened to the tarantino thread?  kill bill just came out a little over a month ago and its been so inactive over here.  arent there still ripples from pdl going on in the pta forum?
hardly.
Kill Bill came over a little over a month ago but it was taken out of theatres a few weeks ago. The discussions in the Tarantino thread have probably tired some people out. I know I'm one of them. I'm sure it'll juice up again once the specs for the DVD are out, or something new/original is brought up.

Fernando

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: themodernage02what happened to the tarantino thread?  kill bill just came out a little over a month ago and its been so inactive over here.  arent there still ripples from pdl going on in the pta forum?
hardly.
Kill Bill came over a little over a month ago but it was taken out of theatres a few weeks ago. The discussions in the Tarantino thread have probably tired some people out. I know I'm one of them. I'm sure it'll juice up again once the specs for the DVD are out, or something new/original is brought up.

Next friday KB will finally be release in Mexico (don't know about Southamerica, Europe, Australia), and although I already saw it, I can't wait to see it again.

Sure some people that haven't seen it yet will comment on this one.

SHAFTR

Interesting comparison.

PTA's Punch-Drunk Love and QT's Kill Bill.  Both are their versions of Saturday Night movies.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

Well, I've had an interesting history with Kill Bill already. I went from really loving it to then posting a negative review and forced to defend it because of malicious responces andthen to argue all the points of the review to death and now basically enjoying it as action film fare, but a complete failure for a Quentin Tarantino film. Cheers!

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWell, I've had an interesting history with Kill Bill already. I went from really loving it to then posting a negative review and forced to defend it because of malicious responces andthen to argue all the points of the review to death and now basically enjoying it as action film fare, but a complete failure for a Quentin Tarantino film. Cheers!

How many times have you seen it?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWell, I've had an interesting history with Kill Bill already. I went from really loving it to then posting a negative review and forced to defend it because of malicious responces andthen to argue all the points of the review to death and now basically enjoying it as action film fare, but a complete failure for a Quentin Tarantino film. Cheers!

Once. Does that discredit my opinion? If so, how?

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: SHAFTR

Once. Does that discredit my opinion? If so, how?

It does discredit your opinion a little bit.  After one viewing, you went from loving > negative > enjoying as a failure.  Your opinion of the film has obviously changed after 0 subsequent viewings so I think it's only fair that you need to see it again so that you can have your position solidified.   There is a chance that either a) false memory or b) things that you have heard/read afterwards has changed your opinion.

modage

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetbut a complete failure for a Quentin Tarantino film. Cheers!

who sets the standard for what a Tarantino film should be.  you?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetbut a complete failure for a Quentin Tarantino film. Cheers!

Well, GT, by that token, PDL was a complete failure for a PTA movie.

We must allow artists to change directions when they see fit.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.