Paul Simon

Started by aclockworkjj, May 31, 2003, 02:38:50 PM

aclockworkjj

That's what I am listening to this very moment.....Rhythm of the Saints....

SoNowThen

Good on you. Obvious Child is one of my all-time favorite songs. I think Paul Simon is a god of music. Lyrics just as good as Dylan, melodies better than probably anyone I've ever heard. It's always been my dream to write a multi-character love story using a soundtrack comprised entirely of Paul Simon songs.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

I love Simon & Garfunkel. Simon alone... spotty. Really liked parts of Graceland though. He's as good as Dylan, in my book. But then again, that's not saying as much as one might assume...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

he pretty much called janine garofolo a douche bag, in that snl book

so he is good

and i for one can tell you that driving across the 59th Street Bridge does in fact make you feel Kinda groovy

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThenIt's always been my dream to write a multi-character love story using a soundtrack comprised entirely of Paul Simon songs.

I kinda always wanted to try and throw The Sound of Silence into a movie as well....

aclockworkjj

Any of you LA folks seeing any of these shows....

was suppose to see them last friday, got postponed till this Sun.  Might try and see them tomorrow night too.  

Staples tonight.

61 years old....the chance is slip, slidin' away.

SoNowThen

Dammit, I really wanted to go. They didn't even come close to my town.  :(

Anyway, enjoy!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: aclockworkjjAny of you LA folks seeing any of these shows....

was suppose to see them last friday, got postponed till this Sun.  Might try and see them tomorrow night too.  

Staples tonight.

61 years old....the chance is slip, slidin' away.

My best friend and his wife saw Simon and Garfunkel last night at Staples...  I actually saw Paul Simon live about a year or two ago in San Diego when Brian Wilson opened for him... I actually went for Brian Wilson, and didn't care much for Paul Simon, though I really loved the music he played that night...

Sigur Rós

The Graceland album is the soundtrack of my childhood my father used to play it all the time. So naturally I'm a huge Paul Simon fan.

SoNowThen

Quote from: SigurThe Graceland album is the soundtrack of my childhood my father used to play it all the time. So naturally I'm a huge Paul Simon fan.

:yabbse-thumbup:

!!!!

coffeebeetle

Yeah, Graceland was a phenomenal album.  But overall I like Simon and Garfunkel.  Just some amazing chemistry there.

But for musicians I grew up on, there's no beating:

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Redlum

Quote from: coffeebeetle

Grew up with his Greatest hits album too. That and Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club band, and ELO - out of the blue. Vinyl. The bulk of my teenage years were Simon and Garfunkel but I'm not sure about Paul Simon on his own. Any tracks you can recommend?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SoNowThen

You Can Call Me Al
The Obvious Child
Hurricane Eye
Trailways Bus
Slip Slidin' Away
Hearts And Bones
Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard
God Bless The Absentee
Gone At Last
Loves Me Like A Rock

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Slick Shoes

VoiceOfNick--

I went to that same concert -- Brian Wilson and Paul Simon!! Except I saw them in Santa Barbara. My friend and I (both early twenties) were practically the youngest people there. The rest were my parents age. I was heavily into Brian Wilson at the time. Matter of fact, still am. I think he is a genius. And Paul Simon is one of my favorite musicians of all time.