Author Topic: Phantom Thread - Awards ticker  (Read 3805 times)

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +61
Re: Phantom Thread - Awards ticker
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 06:59:56 PM »
+1
Such a ridiculous snub. DDL doesn't need another trophy. Nor does Meryl Streep - she was good and all in The Post, but let's get real: Vicky Krieps is one of the great cinematic finds of this century and ahhh fuck the Oscars.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

Fuzzy Dunlop

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 07:39:17 PM »
+1
Such a ridiculous snub. DDL doesn't need another trophy. Nor does Meryl Streep - she was good and all in The Post, but let's get real: Vicky Krieps is one of the great cinematic finds of this century and ahhh fuck the Oscars.

I mean, I get it, she's amazing in the film, but she's been getting snubbed pretty consistently all season so its not surprising at all. Phantom Thread did a hell of a lot better than I was expecting so I don't think its a moment to complain. Best Picture and Director noms? That's fantastic fucking news.

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
It is, I guess I just don't believe it's going to win in any category (maaaaaybe costumes and score but it feels like a long shot) so my excitement isn't properly pitched.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

wilder

• Respect: +1815
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 07:49:02 PM »
+1
Also not surprised, but nominating DDL and Manville over Krieps feels like a misunderstanding of the movie on the part of the Academy, even though they recognized it in other prominent categories. Like they didn’t see the same thing. The writing omission and Tichenor’s exclusion also speak to that. Given that the Academy members nominating are supposed be people who most closely understand the craft they’re deciding on (editors nominating editors etc.), it’s just bizarre.

The “loudest” thing always seems to get the most attention (see also, the 'Sound' category: did any other film nominated communicate story with sound like Phantom Thread? Fuck no). No other movie nominated this year had as tricky a balance of tone and information flow as it, either, or was doing as much that was new. Tichenor deserves a medal for his work on it, let alone a golden statue. It doesn't matter if it gets awards or not, but when it's nominated for a specific few in lieu of others, it's weird.

Fuzzy Dunlop

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
+4
Also not surprised, but nominating DDL and Manville over Krieps feels like a misunderstanding of the movie on the part of the Academy

...which is pretty much par for the course for the Academy, though I'll say the competition in the Best Actress category was tougher this year than in the other two. Streep got her auto-nom, Margot Robbie is having an it girl moment, and the other three are leads in the front-running films. Vicky is still breaking out and will be there in a few years if she keeps picking the right roles.

Overall though, none of this shit matters beyond getting the next project funded. Actual Oscars are bullshit, but they are business. And after the virtual shut-out of Inherent Vice (and its financial underperformance), its a relief to see Paul/Phantom Thread get so much love for two very practical reasons:

1. Focus will have to continue pushing the film for the next few months, with a longer stretch of theatrical exhibition and a bigger, wider promotional push, meaning more people will see it and it will make more money, with the added bonuses of more PTA interviews and more chances for us to see it in theaters.

2. Because of the above, studios will be more likely to gamble money on his next project. And its all about that next project.

wilder

• Respect: +1815
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »
the other three are leads in the front-running films

Overall though, none of this shit matters beyond getting the next project funded. Actual Oscars are bullshit, but they are business. And its all about that next project.

Sigh. You're right. Politics.

Mogambo

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 04:38:11 AM »
Bro I know this is a pointless thing to discuss but what if the boy PTA gets best director and best picture at the Oscars? I'd be so happy, but I hope the mainstream wokeboy public doesn't start shitting on him because it's a white male director making a film with white characters. Oscars definitely got it right last time imo. Moonlight was the best film I saw last year.

Lady Bird - Another "oh this happened to me too" teen drama movie with OK acting but I hate it for some reason. People are so.. milquetoast. It's just a romanticisation of a girl's teen years and it has a gay character for no reason.

The Shape Of Water - Cinematography is good but the political themes make it difficult for me to digest.

The Post - Spotlight part 2. Fuck this movie and fuck Meryl Streep playing herself in every movie.

Dunkirk - I'd be OK if this wins tbh. I liked it and the fact that Nolan didn't shoehorn in a love story or cheap drama makes it cooler. 2nd best "cinema" experience of the year. Hans might win best score, although Jonny should for PT.

Call Me By Your Name - It's pretty good. Not Best anything good though, to be honest. Chalamet was great but GO or DDL should win best actor.

Darkest Hour - Fuck no. Everything about this film was tacky to me. Doesn't deserve any awards but I guess it's overdue for Oldman at this point. meh.

Get Out - Well made. Might win original screenplay.

BR49 - Should win best cinematography. Denis should have gotten a best director nom. Also the best "cinema" experience I've had all year.

3 Billboards - Pretty good movie. Kinda annoying that the main character was a dick to everyone and they abandoned a rape/murder victim thing halfway and gave the racist cop a redemption arc but Sam was great. Hope this doesn't win anything but I didn't dislike it.

I Tonya - meh. Margot Robbie was good.

Roman J Israel - shite.

All The Money In The World - meh. What if the Oscars gave Plummer the Oscar to piss Kevin "diddle me this" Spacey off LMAO

Boss Baby - pinnacle of cinema but will probably get snubbed smh.

Thoughts?

d

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 06:30:41 AM »
+3
Since around The Master I've kept asking myself: am I delusional? To me PTA is in a different league than any other contemporary director. Is it a matter of personal preference? With the last few movies he created fairly unique genere for himself - twisted drama with fucked-up characters and wicked humor. Maybe that plus his masterful craftsmanship simply is 100% what I expect from cinema?

But it seems so wrong that he is even compared to surely talented and probably nice people like Gerwig and Peele. Some of the above are good movies. I really liked CMBYN. Get Out, Lady Bird were both ok. Hated Dunkirk. Enjoyed but was annoyed at the same time with Billboards. None of them however is nowhere near as ambitious, intelligent, unique and well-made as Phantom Thread. Is there any other director nowadays who at least tries to make something truly unique or moving or at least impressive? Refn? von Trier? I respect Fincher for his skills but not sure I can call him true artist. Guadagnino is promising. Villeneuve is ok but overrated. Sorrentino? Bennett Miller is really good but not PTA-level good. Maybe the mistake I make is that I'm expecting others to make PTA movies?

I enjoy other movies but it's a bummer that for a few years now new PTA movie is the best movie I've seen since the previous PTA movie.

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 08:01:39 AM »
+2
Since around The Master I've kept asking myself: am I delusional? To me PTA is in a different league than any other contemporary director. Is it a matter of personal preference? With the last few movies he created fairly unique genere for himself - twisted drama with fucked-up characters and wicked humor. Maybe that plus his masterful craftsmanship simply is 100% what I expect from cinema?

But it seems so wrong that he is even compared to surely talented and probably nice people like Gerwig and Peele. Some of the above are good movies. I really liked CMBYN. Get Out, Lady Bird were both ok. Hated Dunkirk. Enjoyed but was annoyed at the same time with Billboards. None of them however is nowhere near as ambitious, intelligent, unique and well-made as Phantom Thread. Is there any other director nowadays who at least tries to make something truly unique or moving or at least impressive? Refn? von Trier? I respect Fincher for his skills but not sure I can call him true artist. Guadagnino is promising. Villeneuve is ok but overrated. Sorrentino? Bennett Miller is really good but not PTA-level good. Maybe the mistake I make is that I'm expecting others to make PTA movies?

I enjoy other movies but it's a bummer that for a few years now new PTA movie is the best movie I've seen since the previous PTA movie.

Look. Hazanavicius won when Malick was nominated for Tree of Life. The Oscars are a narrative that matters in a way since, I guess, PTA being one of the best out there would be more "known" if he had won one Oscars...maybe...? It doesn't change the fact that he's clearly the better director of that list (well, I think Dunkirk is great and you can at least see that the craft and ambition are on a high level) but I realize more and more that he is in the shadows. I mean, Phantom Thread is once again a big flop. People are taking pictures of them alone in theaters before the movie. After the nominations, the movie got an expansion, playing in more movie theaters, and yet it's still doing -36% by week...I don't want to say that nobody cares. The releases are an event of some kind for those who follow him, or for critics or the small bubble of "Film Twitter" (whatever that is...), but it does feel like a parallel  universe. He's a big name and...kind of invisible...? It's a weird position to be in, indeed.

But he's still has access to the budgets he needs. Even if sometimes it's as if The Beatles were The Beatles, made their album, the same, but had 25% of the public they had; so you scream with ten people in an empty arena...

It's getting sadder, though. He's a prestige card for studios, but if that prestige is getting thinner and thinner in the "real world", well...

The Oscars show how forgotten he can be in the "culture". But they also gave best picture to Spotlight. And yet, they're another kind of "prestige". A business prestige, yes—but that's an important one when you want to make movies...
I'm so many people.

d

• The Call to Adventure
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »
PTA being one of the best out there would be more "known" if he had won one Oscars...maybe...?

Well, my point is he is currently not just "one of the best" but easily the best by a large large margin. Would I really want him to win awards and be better known? I don't know. It surely will be fun to see him on stage in March but you are obviously right - what matters is that he gets the budgets. And surely I don't care if he is more famous or not. Box office? He himself seems to care about that. I guess it is al least to some extent because he would like the people who pay for his movies to make money rather than lose. It's also perfectly understandable he feels more comfortable then as well.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +765
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »
+1

Welcome to Xixax. This is our curse.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Mogambo

• The Call to Adventure
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2018, 08:45:24 AM »
This is very true. I liked Birdman and Whiplash, as far as recent mainstream movies are concerned, but Lucy got to both those filmmakers, and they made LaLazzz and Revendicaprioscar. Fincher's recent output has been very bad too. Tarantino has been jerking off to his own films for a decade now. Scorsese and Spielberg are...meh (looking forward to Irishman though). Wes Anderson's still got it. Villeneuve's movies are ones I find myself looking forward to. Nolan is doing well. PTA's got this shit on lock though. Someone on here mentioned PTA's got another one ready to go after Phantom Thread, which makes me happy.

Bennett Miller is such an enigma to me. We know nothing about the guy, but he's made 3 10/10 movies back to back (Capote, Moneyball, Foxcatcher). He fascinates me so much.

Lewton

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »
+1
To me PTA is in a different league than any other contemporary director.

While I tend to look forward to his work more than anyone else's, I would never make this claim because there's no way that no other artist is achieving similar levels of greatness. I mean, this isn't only a hunch. It's borne out by my own viewing experiences. There are many unusual and great movies out there! There aren't really other truly PTA-esque movies, sure, but no one is perfectly matching Spielberg's standard, either. Those are both great filmmakers partly because their achievements can't be precisely emulated by others and their work often refuses to be forgotten in a good way. But there are many others who are also great in different, and sometimes similar, ways...

None of them however is nowhere near as ambitious, intelligent, unique and well-made as Phantom Thread. Is there any other director nowadays who at least tries to make something truly unique or moving or at least impressive?

Based on what I've seen: James Gray, Terrence Malick, Luca Guadagnino, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Ruben Östlund, Lynne Ramsay, David Lynch, Sean Baker, and (potentially) David Robert Mitchell, among others.

Based on what I've heard: Claire Denis and Yorgos Lanthimos, among others.

Including experiencing older classics for the first time and everything? Not that you even need to go back that far to find uniquely compelling stuff. Again, while the arrival of a new PTA movie is a major event for me on a personal level -- his writing and visuals are my favourite -- I'm still similarly floored by other movies.

Mogambo

• The Call to Adventure
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:05 AM »
Nolan after Phantom Thread wins 6 Oscars.

d

• The Call to Adventure
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 02:21:22 AM »
+1

The Chalamet speech also there. The way he reads it from a piece of paper pretending the jokes are spontaneous makes it look even more weird than the quotes but also cool somehow. I mean Chalamet obviously, not PTA who is super-cool.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy