Zhang Yimou

Started by Bud_Clay, April 24, 2003, 03:14:54 PM

Bud_Clay

"The Road Home" with one of the cutest girls ever to hit the screen has caught my attention with this director. Not only that but it was just the most perfect script and kind of story for a movie about a terribly cute girl. Just great.... uhh but on the other hand i saw "Qiu Ju".. An entire film devoted to a woman's stubborness over a single event. I can't say I enjoyed it at all.. it felt as if it was a bit ridiculous to devote a single occurance to the entire film. there was only so much accumulation in the entire film.. but I dont know if that's the case because "12 angry men" & "dog day afternoon" are just so fucking great.. something about "qiu ju" to me just felt like it was going nowhere. the ending was one of the better parts however.

BUT Yimou has a new film coming out...entitled: "Happy Times"

"A beautifully heart-wrenching movie. Zhao, a middle-aged laid-off factory worker, longs for a wife; in the hopes of marrying a pushy divorcée, he agrees to pay for an expensive wedding. To raise money, he turns a derelict bus into a place for couples to rendezvous, and brags to his fiancee about how he manages the Happy Times Hotel. When the divorcée insists that Zhao give Ying, her blind stepdaughter, a job at the hotel as a masseuse, he convinces his friends to help him concoct a fake massage parlor where the girl can work. Happy Times begins as a delightful light comedy, but as the relationship between Zhao and Ying grows, this deceptively simple movie flows effortlessly back and forth from sweetness to sorrow, culminating in a devastatingly moving ending. --Bret Fetzer"

Expectations are high.

xerxes

raise the red lantern was quite good... i enjoy his work

Bud_Clay

Quote from: xerxesraise the red lantern was quite good... i enjoy his work

that's the next yimou film i gotta see! absolutely...its been on my lists for some time now.

rustinglass

I only saw one of his films, "Shanghai Triad" and I thought it was excellent, I'm really looking forward to seeing "Hero".
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

Zhang Yimou starts shooting Coen brothers remake
Source: AP

HONG KONG - Zhang Yimou has started shooting a remake of the Coen brothers' debut "Blood Simple," the Chinese director's first film since designing the opening and closing ceremonies of last year's Beijing Olympics, a publicist said Tuesday.

Filming on the Chinese-language film "San Qiang Pai An Jing Qi" — which roughly translates as "The Stunning Case of the Three Gun Shots" — kicked off on June 9, Ping Xue, a publicist at Zhang's Beijing New Picture Film Co., told The Associated Press in a phone interview from Beijing.

The thriller-comedy, which will be released this year, stars Chinese actor Sun Honglei, comedian Xiao Shenyang and actress Yan Ni, Ping said.

She declined to reveal the plot of the film, but "Blood Simple" is about a Texas bar owner who hires a private detective to kill his wife and her lover. The 1984 movie starring Frances McDormand won the Grand Jury Prize for best film at the United States Film Festival — the predecessor to the Sundance Film Festival — helping establish Joel and Ethan Coen's reputations.

The brothers went on to make a string of successful films including "Fargo," "The Big Lebowski," "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and "No Country for Old Men," which won Oscars for best picture and best director.

The "Blood Simple" remake also marks Zhang's first movie since the 2006 imperial court drama "Curse of the Golden Flower," starring Chow Yun-fat and Gong Li. After that film, Zhang took a break to focus on the Beijing Olympics ceremonies.

Zhang's stunning opening ceremony — which featured a retired Chinese gymnast who seemingly ran around the rim of the stadium while suspended by wires before lighting the Olympic cauldron — won a Peabody Award for excellence in electronic media.

The Chinese director is also scheduled to direct a gala celebrating the 60th anniversary of communist China on Oct. 1.

Zhang's credits also include "Raise the Red Lantern," "Red Sorghum," "To Live," "Ju Dou," "Hero" and the "House of Flying Daggers."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

wow this sounds...interesting? this is probably the only time a remake hasn't turned my stomach.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Apparently it got picked up by Sony Pictures Classic. Don't all his films?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Zhang Yimou remakes the Coen brothers' 'Blood Simple'
The result is the lush, slapstick 'A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop.' The film highlights the rise of Chinese cinema.
By Chris Lee, Los Angeles Times

In the autumn of 2008, China's best-known filmmaker, Zhang Yimou, found himself at a career crossroads.

The multiple Oscar nominee had spent the previous two years away from movies, orchestrating the opening and closing ceremonies for Beijing's Olympics, an eye-popping $300-million extravaganza of pyrotechnics and synchronized acrobatics that wowed a global TV audience. And after a fabled three-decade career delivering such critically hailed films as "Raise the Red Lantern" and "Hero" (the most internationally successful Chinese film export to date), Zhang could greenlight almost any project he wanted, enjoying a Robert Pattinson-like media ubiquity and James Cameron level of box-office clout. Problem was, without any original movie material in development, Zhang didn't know what to do next.

Then inspiration struck: a remake! "I wanted to do something to relate my humor," Zhang said by phone from Beijing. "Something light."

Paradoxically, the filmmaker's first thought was to tackle a "cold and distant" American movie he had seen at the Cannes Film Festival nearly a quarter century earlier. A film he had seen without even comprehending any of the dialogue absent Chinese subtitles. A work that had left a "deep impression" on Zhang: Joel and Ethan Coen's mordant 1984 thriller "Blood Simple."

Cut to the present day with Zhang's visually lush, slapstick caper "A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop" reaching American theaters Friday in limited release. The $12-million film premiered at the Berlin Film Festival last year and was a hit upon release in China, raking in $38 million; here it has already gotten critical props from watchdogs at Variety, Indiewire and Slash Film. Moreover, the Sony Pictures Classics-distributed movie's journey to the screen speaks volumes about Zhang's prestige as a filmmaker — he's the only person the Coens have ever given their remake blessing — and it highlights a certain coming of age for Chinese cinema.

"Very, very few Chinese films are remakes," Zhang explained through a translator. "That has to do with financial considerations. International copyrights cost a lot of money. As for my own adaptation, when I told my producers what I wanted to do, they said, 'Forget that. It's way too expensive!'"

Just don't lump "A Woman, a Gun" in with recent by-the-numbers Hollywood movie reboots such as "The A-Team" or "Fame." Where "Blood Simple" follows a contemporary Texas saloon owner's strangled effort to put out a hit on his wife and her lover for their adulterous affair, the flavor of Zhang's movie is as piquantly Chinese as Hoisin sauce.

The film situates "Blood Simple's" double-crosses and misunderstandings, grand mal scheming and thievery, in desolate Gansu province, somewhere between the Great Wall of China and the Silk Road, during the late Ming dynasty of the 17th century. The original film's perfidious private eye ( M. Emmet Walsh), oily gin-joint owner ( Dan Hedaya) and his wife (played by Frances McDormand) have been respectively reincarnated as a granite-faced local constable with a gigantic sword, a curmudgeonly restaurateur and a shrill adulteress with a gymnastic talent for making hand-pulled noodles.

As well, where "Blood Simple" exists almost as a formal exercise in the cinematic usage of darkness, shadows and light, color fairly explodes from the screen in "A Woman, a Gun." And with several of China's most beloved comedians in prominent roles, it is also shot through with a goofy brand of Peking Opera-inspired comedy that has proved somewhat baffling to many non-Chinese viewers.

According to Zhang, 59, he chose to set "A Woman, a Gun" in pre-modern China in an effort to side step government censorship that has prevented several of his greatest films from being seen in his homeland. "By changing it into a traditional Chinese background, I could attain more freedom," the filmmaker said. "The further back you go, the fewer political taboos there are and the better off you are in terms of political sensitivities."

Although the film is set at a time when guns were a recent invention — the wife's purchase of a three-barreled pistol from a Silk Road trader is crucial to the plot — "A Woman, a Gun's" action adheres closely to its source material. The noodle shop owner pays the policeman to bump off his missus and the feckless cook with whom she is cheating. Manipulations build upon misunderstandings and coverups beget ever greater crimes until the bodies start piling up en route to a bloody climax.

It represents a departure for Zhang, whose films have generally fallen into two categories. There are his gritty epics, such as "Ju Dou" and "To Live" from his early filmography, that showcase China's struggles with war, poverty and political malfeasance (and have been consequently banned in the director's homeland for "subversive" content). And then there are his more recent martial arts thrillers, such as "House of Flying Daggers" or "Hero" — films that critics complain implicitly glorify the Chinese state and have won Zhang favoritism with the political elite while also saddling him with a reputation as a kind of Leni Reifenstahl for China's authoritarian regime.

"As he shifted to the martial arts epics, Zhang was criticized as selling out to the Chinese government and pandering to what officials wanted," said Michael Berry, associate professor of Contemporary Chinese Cultural Studies at UC Santa Barbara, who extensively interviewed the director for his book "Speaking in Images: Interviews With Contemporary Chinese Filmmakers." "He's always rejected those criticisms, though. It's a natural evolution. People tend to be rebellious when they're young and after a while, they become the establishment."

Winning over the Coens

As polarizing a figure as he is in his homeland, Zhang's international acclaim allowed him certain opportunities when it came to acquiring the international copyrights to a well-regarded Western movie. The Beijing native has been nominated for best foreign film Oscars three times (for "Ju Dou" in 1990, "Raise the Red Lantern" in 1991 and "Hero" in 2003) and won a Grand Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival in 1994 for "To Live.

The filmmaker's longtime producer Bill Wong was enlisted to negotiate with the Oscar-winning filmmaker siblings for "Blood Simple," their debut feature and the movie that set the cinematic boilerplate of midnight-black humor, brutality and blazing intelligence that have become the Coens' hallmarks. They eventually agreed to pay a copyright fee and ironed out a profit participation deal that the producer declined to detail but that he described as "very fair." (Deep in post-production on their next film, a remake of the 1969 John Wayne western "True Grit," the Coen brothers were unavailable to be interviewed for this story.)

"'Blood Simple' is not from a studio. It was produced and is owned by the Coen brothers themselves," Wong said. "When a property is attached to a studio, you have to go through a lot to acquire rights. But because the Coens controlled the rights, the process was very efficient."

Although Zhang and Joel and Ethan Coen have never met, as Zhang tells it, the brothers said: "We won't do this for any other director but we're willing to do it for you."

Turns out, "Blood Simple" wasn't necessarily Zhang's first choice for adaptation. "He wanted to do 'No Country for Old Men,'" Wong said. "I said, 'It's too recent. It won Oscars, it involves too many parties and would take forever to clear the rights.' But Yimou is a big admirer of the Coen brothers. We looked into [remaking] 'Fargo,' all of them."

The movie went into production last year in northwestern China, at a time of explosive growth for Chinese cinema, with an average of three new movie theaters opening in the country every day. During the country's tumultuous Cultural Revolution, filming a remake of a Western film would have been impossible on political grounds. But as a result of China's economic boom, there has been a spate of Chinese movies drafting off the popularity of earlier American fare; a recent mainstream film billed itself as "the Chinese 'Bridges of Madison County'" while a period drama set during the siege of Nanjing was marketed as "the Chinese ' Schindler's List.'" Not to mention Chinese-American co-productions, which include reboots of American fare such as "High School Musical: China" and an adaptation of "What Women Want," which just recently wrapped production in Beijing.

"A new cultural space has opened up," UC Santa Barbara's Berry said. "China's film industry is entering a new phase. Now it's both ideologically and financially possible for filmmakers to purchase the rights to remake British or American films."

Zhang, who is finishing post-production on his next feature, "Under the Hawthorn Tree," a love story set during the Cultural Revolution, says the Coens saw an early cut of "A Woman, a Gun" last year and gave it their approval.

"They thought it was fun and interesting the way we took their contemporary film, added Chinese flavor and set it in the past," the director said. "They never imagined their film could be expressed in this manner."

According to Wong, the adaptation may have unintentionally opened the door to a kind of cross-cultural movie exchange program. "They sent a note of congratulations to Zhang," Wong said. "They told him that they are going to make a remake of 'Raise the Red Lantern.'"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

China just had a huge Guy Ritchie-esque, Coen Bros-esque epic called "Silver Medalist" or "Crazy Racer", a sports cum gangster cum action film that's full of dark twists and macabre slapstick.  This seems like Zhang Yimou once again trying to direct his way back to relevance by remaking the Coens.  This dude's savvy I tells ya.

I really hope you guys could catch Silver Medalist one day.  It really is a funny movie.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

shadow, bitches

laughing to the bank cos i seen it, slapping your ass bc you at avengers and oh lawd, if it's only funny to me it's still funny

i'm trolling you with kisses

Something Spanish

Quote from: jenkins on May 08, 2019, 02:53:15 AM
shadow, bitches

laughing to the bank cos i seen it, slapping your ass bc you at avengers and oh lawd, if it's only funny to me it's still funny

i'm trolling you with kisses

jenkins