2013 Xixax Awards CAMPAIGN THREAD

Started by polkablues, March 03, 2013, 09:08:17 PM

polkablues

Get your Weinstein on!  If you have a movie you love, a director you admire, or an actress you overrate because of physical attractiveness, this is the place to convince everyone else to vote for them, or at least remind everyone they exist. 

Wherever possible, use the main nominations thread only for questions about the awards process itself, and any campaigning/discussion/debate of the actual movies in this thread. 

Side note: to make our awards process as authentic as possible, I will be offering vote counting irregularities in exchange for cash money.*

And when in doubt, remember to vote PREMIUM RUSH in any and all categories.**

*Just kidding.  OR AM I?

**NOT KIDDING.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

maybe other people also like these things?

music --

trailer --

dvd release --

acting --

poster --

sorry if that's a big post. thought i'd do it all at once and be done

©brad

Love the poster. What do you like so much about that Laurence Anyways trailer? I think the movie looks really good but as trailers go it seems run-of-the-mill.

I'd like to ask the board to consider not nominating Argo for anything. The last thing that movie needs is another award.

picolas

BEST FILM
DIRECTOR
MALE PERFORMANCE
SCREENPLAY
CINEMATOGRAPHY

DON'T FORGET THIS HAPPENED:

FRAN KRANZ, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS

THE WILL F'S, TIM AND ERIC'S BILLION DOLLAR MOVIE

jenkins

Quote from: ©brad on March 05, 2013, 01:33:11 PM
Love the poster. What do you like so much about that Laurence Anyways trailer? I think the movie looks really good but as trailers go it seems run-of-the-mill.
please link to the runofthemill trailers that are like this!! being serious

god, it's so great. the tempo, the energy, the emotion, passion. "i love you. but i gotta love you the way i am." the moderat song! not sure if it helps to have seen heartbeats. i don't know, from my pov, i still get chills when i watch it. irl i'm fortunate to know other people who also freak out on it. i dunno

wilder

I also dig that trailer. These noms are sort of pointless in the year of a PT film...almost wish The Master was excluded so we could get a more interesting sample of what's out there.

©brad

I don't deny the trailer doesn't do all of those things but it also commits the cardinal trailer sin of giving away too much of the movie. I guess I'm just partial to trailers/teasers that also work as short films (a rare breed but the one for A Single Man is a good example) or ones that are more abstract and intrigue you without giving away plot points or emotional punchlines. 

Pubrick

dudes. as with any year a PTA film is released, we WILL be awarding second prize in every category the master doesn't win.

you can consider the runner up award a glimpse into an alternative universe where the second messiah has not yet arrived.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

Quote from: ©brad on March 05, 2013, 02:27:23 PM
I don't deny the trailer doesn't do all of those things but it also commits the cardinal trailer sin of giving away too much of the movie. I guess I'm just partial to trailers/teasers that also work as short films (a rare breed but the one for A Single Man is a good example) or ones that are more abstract and intrigue you without giving away plot points or emotional punchlines.
as far as you being partial to this and that, i'm the same way and know how that goes. i think it's good you have your own tastes and are searching for particulars of personal importance

i will say that laurence anyways is a beastly movie of 168 min, and that the movie isn't about the drama of his life so much as the strength of his personality and the focus of his convictions. i don't think it gives away too much to show that he's going to have to renegotiate relationships with the people closest to him, and that his job as a teacher is going to be challenged. probably if someone heard the movie's story they would assume those things, so i don't think it's giving away too much

Cloudy

I'm waiting for someone to campaign TDKR as worst of the year....oh...

Agreed with Picolas about HOLY MOTORS. Had Holy Motors as #2 in all of those. Amour up there as well

ElPandaRoyal

I'll take this opportunity to try and call your attention to some movies that I'm sure will go unnoticed anyway, but at least I'll feel good about trying to give them a chance.

Soooo, I know this is probably going to be in vain, but considering it was this year's Portugal entry for Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars, it should be available for Xixax Consideration. Blood of My Blood or, in portuguese, Sangue do Meu Sangue is a fantastic ensemble drama about a family living in a poor Lisbon slum directed by João Canijo and it should be considered in many categories, especially the acting ones (Rita Blanco, who has a small part in Amour is absolutely fantastic, but all the cast is worthy). If you get the chance, you should consider it very seriously. You can watch the trailer , but honestly I think it's very stupidly put together and you should just watch the movie instead. There's a 140min version and a longer 180min director's cut that goes deeper into some of the character's lives, but any version is good enough.

Also, you should consider any of these movies that came out in the US in 2012 if you haven't already:

- From Portugal, Tabu, directed by Miguel Gomes, a much more original, excentric and rich homage to silent movies than The Artist ever was, directed by Miguel Gomes. . It's slow, it's really weird, but it's being fairly acclaimed by many people  as one of the best movies of last year.

- From Austria, Michael, the first movie directed by Markus Schleinzer, a former casting director for Michael Haneke. It's reeeeally tough to watch, it's a very slow paced movie about one of the most disturbing themes you can think of, and I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach after watching it. If you think Haneke is cold and brutal, wait until you see this. You'll want to punch actor Michael Fuith in the face. .

- From Norway comes Oslo, August 31st, another slow paced movie about a tough subject. A man trying to overcome his drug addiction, a great performance from Anders Danielsen Lie in what's was probably 2012's most heartbreaking movie to me. .
Si

Alexandro

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on March 09, 2013, 06:56:54 AM

- From Portugal, Tabu, directed by Miguel Gomes, a much more original, excentric and rich homage to silent movies than The Artist ever was, directed by Miguel Gomes. . It's slow, it's really weird, but it's being fairly acclaimed by many people  as one of the best movies of last year.

v=YH4TwlZFyNc]Here is the trailer[/url].

I second Tabu and urge everyone to see it. It's easily a masterpiece and on of the best films I've seen in years. Surely puts The Artist to shame. This is actually a film that not only makes an hommage to silent cinema but comes up with a new way to use that language and tell a story with those tools. Beautiful black & white cinematography and sound design; by the end you are astonished of how much it accomplishes and at the same time how simple it feels. I am pretty sure that no matter what films end up nominated for best picture or director, Tabu should be there.

Also from Portugal, I remind everyone of the fantastic Mysteries of Lisbon, by the awesome Raoul Ruiz. Here's the trailer:

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Alexandro on March 09, 2013, 09:29:39 AMThis is actually a film that not only makes an hommage to silent cinema but comes up with a new way to use that language and tell a story with those tools.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I should have gone deeper about that aspect, because that's precisely what bothers me regarding all the acclaim The Artist had. Because that movie is absolutely nothing more than a cute homage, while Tabu is something totally different. It goes deeper and uses our perception of silent movies (there are a lot of references to Murnau) to try and create something new.
Si

jenkins

michael, oslo august 31, and mysteries of lisbon are streaming on netflix

tabu and blood of my blood might be tricky, not sure if they've even had their releases yet

glad to see them brought up

wilder

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on March 09, 2013, 06:56:54 AM
- From Austria, Michael, the first movie directed by Markus Schleinzer, a former casting director for Michael Haneke. It's reeeeally tough to watch, it's a very slow paced movie about one of the most disturbing themes you can think of, and I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach after watching it. If you think Haneke is cold and brutal, wait until you see this. You'll want to punch actor Michael Fuith in the face. .

Thirded.

Also, the HBO documentary 'Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God' is really great, possibly history-making, from the director of Taxi to the Dark Side...