Author Topic: Film Restoration and Preservation  (Read 12722 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1861
Re: Film Restoration and Preservation
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2018, 06:25:53 PM »
Jacques Rivette's The Nun a.k.a. La Religieuse (1966) has been restored in 4K. GREAT movie. UK blu-ray coming on September 10.

And the new restoration of Barbara Loden’s Wanda (1970) opens in NY July 20, with a national tour (and eventual Criterion release) to follow.

Wanda Trailer - Vimeo

wilder

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2018, 06:37:28 PM »
+1
Arbelos Films' 4K restoration trailer for Dennis Hooper's The Last Movie (1971)

The film, written by Rebel Without A Cause screenwriter Stewart Stern, stars Hopper as a stuntman on a movie crew making a Western in a remote Peruvian village. He meets a woman and after the movie wraps and he decides to stay with her, and is soon enlisted by the locals to make their own movie minus the understanding that the action isn’t real.

Opens at the Metrograph in NY August 3rd and plays at Los Angeles' Egyptian Theater on August 16th. The rest of the cities it's touring are listed here.

The plan is for Los Angeles-based Arbelos to mine the Cinelicious library it now reps to release both older and newer films. Also on its upcoming slate and Béla Tarr’s 1994 film Sátántangó.

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +199
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
Arbelos Films' 4K restoration trailer for Dennis Hooper's The Last Movie (1971)

The film, written by Rebel Without A Cause screenwriter Stewart Stern, stars Hopper as a stuntman on a movie crew making a Western in a remote Peruvian village. He meets a woman and after the movie wraps and he decides to stay with her, and is soon enlisted by the locals to make their own movie minus the understanding that the action isn’t real.

Opens at the Metrograph in NY August 3rd, also scheduled to play at Los Angeles' American Cinematheque at a later date.

Ah, this film.  I came of age in the 70s, devouring almost everything that came along in those halcyon days.  Even I skipped this one.  Has anyone here ever actually seen it? Is it as bad as legend has it? 
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +120
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2018, 02:21:19 PM »
+1
I saw it at BAM a year or two ago on 35 and really enjoyed it, but I do recall a small handful of meandering stretches which flirted with boredom... Still an overall pretty wild experience and totally worth checking out as, if nothing else, a unique cultural artifact which really encapsulates the time/environment in which it was made, not to mention the notoriously drug and booze-addled creative mind from which it sprang. This news excites me! Now if Criterion would just get to Out of the Blue already....
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

wilder

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:23 PM »
Speaking of...

Out of the Blue is getting a 4K restoration from Discovery Productions

Discovery Productions, Inc. (John Alan Simon and Elizabeth Karr) plans now to undertake a 4K digital restoration of this landmark film. - so that we can make it available to a whole new generation of cinema audiences.    Because Out Of The Blue exists only as a 35mm print, its audience has been limited to those who are fortunate enough to see it in a theatre like BFI, Cinemateque, Anthology Film Archives, The Roxie, Metrograph and other art house / indie cinemas.

As on the previous successful 35mm restoration, Robert Harris has been kind enough to offer his advice and expertise to us in this process - Robert is currently working with the Cinematheque on the much more difficult digital restoration of Abel Gance's Napoleon - and we are already benefiting from this learning curve.  Other of his restorations include Lawrence of Arabia and Rear Window.

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +120
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2018, 08:17:25 PM »
Commence joyful tearing out of hair!

I've long had a very poor DVD copy of it, but fortunately I got to see a 35 print at Anthology some time ago, and it's just one of the all-time great American films. Rips me apart.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy