AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS CHRISTOPHER NOLAN IS A GENIUS?

Started by Xeditor, January 18, 2003, 12:34:03 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: SHAFTRI would much, much, much rather see Nolan do the newest Batman rather than Aronofsky.  Batman, no matter what, should remain a blockbuster film.  
That's where you're wrong, friend.  Batman is dark and grim and the world that Batman: Year One takes place in is set up for someone with an edge like Aaronofsky has.  Batman isn't really supposed to be the silly action genre it's become.

SUPERMAN, now that's what will need to stay Blockbuster material.  (though it would be interesting to see it done otherwise)

Quote from: SHAFTR
I don't think Aronofsky has the ability to pull of a blockbuster film (something everyone can enjoy).

I think you're wrong.

SHAFTR

I agree that Batman is darker.  It still needs to be a film that everyone can love, a film for the masses.  It is fuckin' Batman.  Aronfsky films aren't necessarily accesible to everyone.  

I think Nolan could do better at making a dark Batman and making it so everyone can enjoy it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Duck Sauce

Quote from: SHAFTRI agree that Batman is darker.  It still needs to be a film that everyone can love, a film for the masses.  It is fuckin' Batman.  Aronfsky films aren't necessarily accesible to everyone.
Not to attack you, but I think that is a pretty ignorant thing to say considering he has only made two movies. Are you saying Aronofsky is not capable of making a movie that is accessible to everybody? Give him time before you make such strict judgments.

I think Nolan could do better at making a dark Batman and making it so everyone can enjoy it.

Why?

SHAFTR

Well, no matter what either of us say...we are both basing it off of 2 movies.

They are just opinions.  Aronofsky wouldn't even release Requiem of a Dream with an R rated cut.  I highly doubt a studio would give him full control of Batman.

Cecil

i cant believe i missed this, but anyway... i know im 4 pages late but whatever:

i agree with both bill and rk.

but bill, you dont have to be so harsh: there are different degrees of selling out.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: SHAFTRWell, no matter what either of us say...we are both basing it off of 2 movies.
I am not saying anything, what you say may or may not be true, only time will tell. I think it is unfair to label him as something after only 2 movies. Thats like Kubrick would have only been capable of doing documentaries... well kinda. I just want to know the reasoning behind these statements. Why do you think he isnt capable of doing something?

They are just opinions.  Aronofsky wouldn't even release Requiem of a Dream with an R rated cut.  I highly doubt a studio would give him full control of Batman.

True, but he made Requiem for a Dream to be what it was (unrated cut), its a totally different movie than what Batman would probably be, I think he would know that.

SHAFTR

I do think Batman by Aronofsky would be good...
I doubt that the mass would think that.

I think Batman should be a film that the masses love.  Think Batman during the summer of 89.  Batman should be an event.

I don't think Aronofsky could do that.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: SHAFTRI do think Batman by Aronofsky would be good...
I doubt that the mass would think that.
Thats what they said about Burton

I think Batman should be a film that the masses love.  Think Batman during the summer of 89.  Batman should be an event.

I don't think Aronofsky could do that.

Again, what makes you think that Aronofksy cant make mainstream movie? You say you dont think he can do that, well why not? All I want is reasoning and examples that support your opinion.

SHAFTR

I thought about the Tim Burton thing as well.   I agree, he did pull it off.

I don't think the short takes, massive editing...would bode well for a Batman film.

Duck Sauce

I don't think the short takes, massive editing...would bode well for a Batman film.

Assuming he uses them. Even still, if that is going to be his trademark, I think it would be cool for Batman.... might get old in every movie he does though. We most likely will never know (Aronofsky and Batman)

Derek

Quote from: Duck SauceThats what they said about Burton

Who said that about Burton? I really don't think that in 1989 people knew or cared about who was making Batman, the only eyebrow-raiser was the casting of Keaton as Batman. Slightly off-topic, why is it that a studio<cough, Warner Bros., cough>has to fuck-up franchises like Superman and Batman, and realizing that they suck in their current state, have to re-invent them? Why can't they learn and stick with quality in the first place? A producer should be put in place to keep a close watch and shepherd the franchises, like Albert Broccoli in the James Bond series. Not the best example, but still going strong after 20 films.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SHAFTRI think Batman should be a film that the masses love.

No one loved Batman & Robin.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: DerekI really don't think that in 1989 people knew or cared about who was making Batman

Why not?

Gold Trumpet

I remember hearing that Batman was a very buzzed about film back in 1989. From the casting of more known funny guy Michael Keaton yes, but also to who was directing the film in Tim Burton. I also remember the great scope of the set itself in England was much talked about as being something bigger than any super hero movie before it. I remember seeing an old ABC news special where they went to the set and talked of all the talk on what was going on with the movie and you had Tim Burton giving half answers but always shying away from the main points and kind of in awe of the set himself. And also, there were advertisements before the movie like mad, from Coca Cola to WB advertising with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, a bunch of different Batman merchandise. I think a lot of people were curious because as young as I was then, I remember everyone considered it the shit even upon release.

~rougerum

Derek

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: DerekI really don't think that in 1989 people knew or cared about who was making Batman

Why not?

Because there was no internet and a lot less widespread discussion about movies.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.