and she wore....Blue Velvet

Started by NEON MERCURY, December 02, 2003, 11:55:29 PM

camera buff

I love blue velvet. I think it's one of the best films of alll time. Definitely in my top 5. Anyone who doesn't like it just has no artistic vision. It's perfection lies in its little creative touches in the craftmanship. Oh god, it's so good.[/img]

Myxo

Quote from: camera buffI love blue velvet. I think it's one of the best films of alll time. Definitely in my top 5. Anyone who doesn't like it just has no artistic vision. It's perfection lies in its little creative touches in the craftmanship. Oh god, it's so good.[/img]

Make sure you clean up after yourself..

Pubrick

it's ur fault for telling him to fuck that shit.
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

upon recent viewing i caught something i had not noticed before.

when jeffrey is spraying dorothy vallen's apartment - there is a knock on the door - as she walks to the door she says "Grand Central Station" beneath her breath.

any insight as to what this is referring to within the text/subtext of the film?
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtiswhen jeffrey is spraying dorothy vallen's apartment - there is a knock on the door - as she walks to the door she says "Grand Central Station" beneath her breath.

any insight as to what this is referring to within the text/subtext of the film?

It's a joke. There's so much traffic coming to her door, she's basically saying, "What is this, Grand Central Station?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

Never would have thought that. It makes perfect sense though. Her delivery made my mind go other places. Things are sometimes more simple than they appear.
...your excuses are your own...

grumpus

From a blog I sometimes read:
---
I almost skipped out on the chance to see Blue Velvet projected at the ArcLight, but knew I'd kick myself if I did. So I hauled ass last night and... was totally disheartened. Not by the film (which remains as hypnotic and unsettling as ever) or the print (which, despite a warning from the AFI Programmer on hand, wasn't that bad), but by one of the most appalling audiences I've encountered. I understand that when you get a roomful of (supposed) fans of a cult film, things can get rowdy. I had no problem with (and joined in) the applause at nearly every single name in the main title sequence or the ovation at Frank Booth's beer critique, but the laughter at damn near everything was enraging.
A month ago, after a contentious screening at Cannes, A.O. Scott blogged about laughing at movies, specifically pointing out that when one laughs at a scene that isn't funny, it's not necessarily out of derision. ("Sometimes it is an involuntary response to a surprise, or a sudden tonal shift. Sometimes you laugh to dispel your nervous anticipation that something terrible is going to happen. ") All completely valid points and, to be fair, Blue Velvet is filled with sudden tonal shifts, uncomfortable moments, and scenes of unrelenting dread. But that's not what this audience seemed to be reacting to. There were inexplicable bursts of laughter at little moments (I'm not sure why the audience roared when Kyle MacLachlan grabs the keys to Isabella Rossellini's apartment) and at core moments that just don't deserve laughter. Near the end of the film, when the completely naked Rossellini is dumped, bruised and dazed, in front of MacLachlan and Laura Dern, I would accept nervous tittering. The gales of laughter that drowned out that scene (and the one that followed) went from merely annoying to offensive. I'm not quite sure what's so hi-larious about that kind of violence.
Whatever, I'm ranting and it's probably not all that interesting, but before switching subjects, am I fundamentally misreading the film? I don't think, however you read the film, the intensity of the laughter was justified. That said, am I missing something? Of course I can see that Lynch is often playing with imagery and circumstances that are both horrifying and darkly comic (uh, the scene leading up to and including "In Dreams," anyone?), but I don't really see it as a satire (as, say, Roger Ebert does or last night's pigfucking audience might've). Sure, Lynch is working with archetypes and conventions and his pop-cultural obsessions (Hardy Boys, Shadow of a Doubt, film noir, Roy Orbison, '50s nostalgia, etc.) but I don't think he's satirizing them. Fetishizing them? Obvs. Satirizing/mocking? Nope. (If you think I'm naively/woefully offbase, please tell me.)
------{end}-------

My thoughts are 1) I wish i could have seen Blue Velvet on the big screen
2) I can understand the writers frustation.  Audiences of a cult film are often overeager to assert their familiarity with the film through applause or laugher, often at inappropriate moments.  Reminds me of the Taxi Driver screening i just recently went to, in which the audience decided to both applaud and laugh at the killings of the final act.  

I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say here.  Blue Velvet is funny.  At times it's really funny.  But it's not Rocky Horror, although it is developing a similar sort of following among folks my age (mid 20's).   I wish that we could show our love of these flicks just by showing up, and silently loving the experience, and not have to audibly voice our approval of every single scene.  
I mean, can' t people just sit back and enjoy the fucking movie?  
Also, I, like the blogger, would be curious to see if you thought that the naked and battered I. Rossilini scene was funny.  Am I, and by default, he, missing out on something?

Weak2ndAct

I must admit, I'm somewhat guilty of the crime listed above-- but it's also my all-time favorite movie.  The first time I saw the film on the big screen was at college.  I got together with a bunch of friends and drank a shitload of PBR.  When Frank Booth came on screen, we cheered.  And at a couple other moments too.  Hey, it happens.  Midnight movies (or revivals of classics) draw out the hardcore fanatics, and you're more than likely to get that reaction every time.

Brazoliange

yes, but when they do it to a movie like Taxi Driver, Jaws, Blue Velvet, etc..... I want to cut their fucking heads off. Even Donnie Darko... sometimes I go see a movie to... ENJOY SEEING IT IN THEATER. Not to listen to every yuppie and his friends exclaim what huge nerds they are for the movie.
Long live the New Flesh

Weak2ndAct

it still beats having two old ladies in front of you talking through the whole movie.
context, context, context.

Finn

Quote from: cronopioit still beats having two old ladies in front of you talking through the whole movie.

yeah and complaining every time "fuck" is spoken on screen

that happened to me during "Mystic River". a couple of old ladies were sitting in front of me and moaned every time someone said it, which was about 70 times or so in that movie.

it also happened during "Closer". not only did a huge group of ladies sitting behind me express to the whole audience how shocked they were but they also made snoring noises to show how uninterested they were in the movie.

can't they just leave instead of letting the whole audience suffer?!?! stuck up conservative bastards!!!!!!!!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

when i went to see palindromes some jewish couple was speaking hebrew behind us and a guy that was next to me shouted "SHUT UP, NOW!!" and the whole room went quiet till the movie ended. i wish i had the guts to shout like that guy. his performance was inspiring.
context, context, context.

Brazoliange

Quote from: Weak2ndActYuppies?

sorry all.
Long live the New Flesh