Author Topic: History of Xixax?  (Read 377 times)

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +87
History of Xixax?
« on: October 04, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »
+1
I'm sorta new around here; most interested in the PTA forum.   I'm an old fucker, and a somewhat early adopter on the Whirled Wide Web (early 90s?)--so was surprised I'd never encountered Xixax before.

Can anyone relate a history of the site?  When / how / why was it formed?  Was it always film-related, etc, etc. 
"There's shadows in life, baby."

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1349
Re: History of Xixax?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
Long story short, we started on the forums at ptanderson.com. When that website was shut down, Michael Wilson started this forum and invited us over. More info here:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=2.0
"Hunger is the purest sin"

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:56:47 AM »
Long story short, we started on the forums at ptanderson.com. When that website was shut down, Michael Wilson started this forum and invited us over. More info here:

Ah HA!  That explains a lot.  I had no idea the site had a PTA-based Origin Story.   Glad I asked.  Kudos all around!

KJ

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +289
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:14:27 AM »
Curious question back: how did you found xixax, through cigs and red vines?

I haven't been around for that long compared to others members here, but it's rarely you see new members post anything. They mostly lurk around in the shadows. There's usually some activity around big news regarding a new PTA film or around it's release, though.

Also, don't forget to introduce yourself here!

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 06:23:03 PM »
+7
An excellent question.  I appreciate your interest! 

I think I may have first stumbled upon the site in my pre-PTA Admiration days. (This would have been many years ago.)  I couldn't tell you when or why at this point, though.  It might have been Kubrick related...   

By way of introduction:  In the last couple of years I've become quite fascinated with, and quite admiring of, PTA and his creative output.  Most particularly (but not exclusively) with Boogie Nights.  (More on that later.)  I'm a mod on Reddit for r/paulthomasanderson and r/BoogieNights (created the latter) if that serves as any kind of credential.  (Do Reddit and Xixax play nicely together? Or will that work against me here?  :ponder:)   

A big fan of the film for years, my regard for Boogie Nights reached some nerd level critical mass a couple of years ago:  I am actively working on a project about the making thereof.  It dazzles me on so many levels that I became fascinated with learning as much as I can about it's production.   It doesn't hurt that I grew up less than 5 miles from PTA's Studio City neighborhood and lived down the street from The Reseda Theater/Hot Traxx in the mid-70s when I was in college.  As many levels as that film works so well on, it's setting has special resonance for this Valley Boy. 

(Fun fact: I was interviewing someone who was connected with the film a few weeks ago.  It didn't really register at the time, but he had this website open on his lappie.)

So, needless to say, I hope I'll be welcome here.   And by all means, please visit r/BoogieNights (there's only 49 subscribers at this point!  Am I alone in my admiration??)   And, of course, if you know anyone that knows anyone that worked on the film--please let me know!  :salute:

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy