David Lynch's commercials

Started by MacGuffin, January 20, 2003, 01:46:01 PM

MacGuffin

David Lynch Gucci Ad

Gucci's spring/summer 2008 show in Milan got off to suitably impressive start yesterday as the house screened the world-premiere of its first ever television ad, which promotes its new fragrance, Gucci by Gucci. Hollywood director David Lynch - famed for his surrealist take on narrative thanks to films such as Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet - shot the film on location at the Musee National des Arts D'Afrique et D'Oceanie in Paris. It stars top models Raquel Zimmerman, Natasha Poly and Freja Beha Erichsen, dressed in stunning Gucci gowns, to a soundtrack of Blondie's iconic hit Heart of Glass. "I wanted our first television advertising campaign to have that whimsical touch from a visionary film director such as David Lynch," says creative director Frida Giannini, who took a hands-on role in all aspects of development of the new fragrance - her first for the house. "I wanted him to capture the total essence of Gucci - and I'm thrilled with the result." The ad will run in Europe from late October, as will an accompanying print campaign.

Commercial:

Behind The Scenes:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

too thin.

seriously, some bones gyrating and dancing badly, that's the whole idea? david lynch should hang out with 50 cent cos he's laughing straight to the bank with this shit.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

at first i thought it was a commercial for cocaine. i'm sure lynch didn't use handheld cam for the overhead shot of the city life. unless someone scotched taped him under a helicopter.

ElPandaRoyal

Now this was too cool for school, but Pubrick is right. Damn, that's THIN!
Si

©brad

it felt like an SNL skit.

retarded.

Fernando

Yeah, way too thin, it makes want to put them on an in & out burger diet, why does the fashion ppl still think those bone girls are beautiful?  :yabbse-undecided:

I liked the  behind the scenes, hope it was a nice pay day for DL.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

squints

that's my favorite part of the special features on Inland Empire
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

NEON MERCURY

not sure where to put this biut here is  a moby song...which is okay...but the video was directed by lynch...which is cool

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/04/14/moby-shot-in-the-back-of-the-head-by-david-lynch/

MacGuffin

David Lynch to Direct the Latest Lush Christian Dior Ad
Source: Cinematical

The marriage between the fashion and film worlds is nothing new. Whether it be casual fashion -- like the Tarsem Singh directed ads for Levi's -- or the latest high-drama ads for Christian Dior, directors have been putting an elaborate spin on our styles for quite some time. Dior's decadent ad campaign boasting their latest collection is laced with a little classic Hollywood and a little rock and roll. The four-chapter short film series is directed by Olivier Dahan, Annie Leibovitz and David Lynch with French actress Marion Cotillard starring as Lady Noire, Lady Rouge and Lady Bleu respectively -- with a fourth mystery lady arriving soon.

Dahan and Cotillard reunite after La Vie en Rose for Lady Noire, which takes a cue from its name and dips into film noir for a brooding and beguiling adventure. Photographer Leibovitz directs Cotillard in Lady Rouge, which uses a posh but old school theater and an apartment I'd kill for as the backdrop of a music video-style extravaganza. Cotillard performs the very catchy Eyes of Mars to narrate the story, with back up from Franz Ferdinand -- all while wearing super skinny black suits and looking gorgeous.

David Lynch is on tap for the upcoming third film, set to debut on the Lady Dior website on May 15. The Blue Velvet director will be following Lady Bleu in a Shanghai-inspired story. The 12-minute film was shot in the Chinese city last December and as designer John Galliano explains it, "Marion is reciting a poem that he [Lynch] wrote, and was inspired by the Pearl Tower itself. The words and building fuse in the picture he paints on-screen." I'm sure it will be nothing short of amazing.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Watch This: David Lynch's Dior Ad
Source: Cinematical

Remember the recent news that David Lynch helmed a short film for Christian Dior's current ad campaign? Following in the footsteps of Olivier Dahan and Annie Leibovitz, the filmmaker wrote a poem about Shanghai and morphed it into this brief, bag-centric tale where Marion Cotillard visits the city for the first time and has a strange encounter with a man, a hand bag, and a blue flower. The film has now hit Dior's website, and you can check it out after the jump.

Lady Bleu is classic Lynch thriving in deep reds and rich blues, with an eerie vibrating score (it sounds like classic Angelo Badalamenti, but it's Lynch with Dean Hurley), strange characters, and timelessness resulting from a mixture of old and new. Of course, without the omg look at this bag! focus, the film would be even better, as even Lynch can't make the product placement look like anything other than product placement. In fact, it almost seems as if Lynch envisioned the film with just a flower, but then threw the bag in there when Dior came a-calling.

What's most interesting, however, is how the film embodies Lynch's style without delving into the terror usually present in his art. It is, for sure, eerie and subtly thrilling, but it doesn't fall into darkness, shrieks, and mayhem. One has to wonder if the filmmaker's commitment to transcendental meditation has finally made its way into his art. While Lynch often raves about how TM is a dive into bliss, his art rarely features such, well, bliss. Save for the sweetness of The Straight Story, there's always darkness and emotional turmoil. This film takes that darkness and gives it a sweet result.

Do you think it will continue in his future work, or did Dior just want Lynch without the terror?

http://www.ladydior.com/

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

well that was a nice 16min nap.

i feel refshed and alert now that i've woken up after that forced siesta.

thanks again, post-Mully dave.
under the paving stones.

I Love a Magician

should've been done move in the style of straight story

for petes sake