why concentrate on US directors?

Started by (kelvin), May 03, 2003, 07:30:43 AM

(kelvin)

I want to ask, and I have mentioned this before, why only american directors get their own category? Are David Fincher or Cameron Crowe (and others) really more important filmmakers than, let's say, Fellini, Truffaut, Tarkovsky, Godard and Antonioni?

phil marlowe

everyone confuses the directorial forums with a ranking list. so to you; its not. the forums is based on the amount of debate possible.

(kelvin)

I see. But: how can you debate more about Crowe than about Fellini?

phil marlowe

we have a banner on a crowe fansite.

©brad

well, in all honesty, more people here are familiar with and have better access to Crowe's work rather than Fellini's. I think the main purpose of the director's forums is to let people know what each filmmaker is up to and to report news of upcoming projects, thanks to Mac. Save Kubrick, all the other directors who have forums are alive and working. i think we should keep the discussion on the dead guys in the general directors thread.

MacGuffin

Quote from: chriskelvinI want to ask, and I have mentioned this before, why only american directors get their own category? Are David Fincher or Cameron Crowe (and others) really more important filmmakers than, let's say, Fellini, Truffaut, Tarkovsky, Godard and Antonioni?

This is why:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1037

Look at the first sentences of the first two threads. Cinefile was surprised no one made a thread about Fellini and Ghostboy was surprired no one had responded. The thread doesn't go past two pages.

Antonioni's thread as mainly a discussion between you and Gold Trumpet.

Fellini's thread went a page and one post and was mainly about film recommendations.

And so on. So it's not about 'more important', like life, it's a popularity contest.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I say kill 2 to 3 director forums, like Wes Anderson, The Coen Brother, and Cameron Crowe and just regard all talk about them to the regular director thread. Even more maybe seeing the limited traffic they all get, besides PTA's. Then I say create a forum for foreign filmmakers specificially and promote the idea of more talk for filmmakers outside the US. What you would have is a good number of famous US directors still open for general director talk and a new area for foreign directors in hope it can spark some interest, and at least represent a portion of the people that visit this forum.

~rougerum

Ernie

Fincher and Lynch should definitely be taken off before any of the others are taken off...imo.

Duck Sauce

Yeah, we mos def have too many diretor sections...

Id like to add that the last one that should ever be taken off  is the PTA one. Remember our roots.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI say kill 2 to 3 director forums, like Wes Anderson, The Coen Brother, and Cameron Crowe

Quote from: Phil Marlowewe have a banner on a crowe fansite.

http://www.theuncool.com

(kelvin)

Alright, I understand. Nevertheless, I would argue that this board harbours enough cinephiles who know "foreign" filmmakers' works very well. Maybe the "popularity" of some categories could be explained by the simple fact that they are on the forum index, whereas others lead their forgotten lives somewhere in the shadows where they are easily overseen unless some people show real interest in  them.

rustinglass

I have to say that I agree with chris on this: It seems that most people here are familliar with one "foreign" director or another. Maybe you could do it by areasrather than just "foreigner": western european directors, scandinavian , eastern european, asian.....

What about ridley scott, he's pretty popular.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Duck Sauce

Quote from: rustinglassI

What about ridley scott, he's pretty popular.

lets not add foreign directors for the sake of adding foreign directors

Gold Trumpet

rustinglass, one step at a time. You need to start out with general foreign category first and see how it runs before even beginning to go into categories. That only comes with great popularity of general one.

And yes, JB, under advertising purposes, Cameron Crowe should remain indefinitely. Fincher, Lynch or Speilberg could go too.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFincher, Lynch or Speilberg could go too.

Spielberg and Fincher