A Ghost Story

Started by Reel, December 01, 2016, 09:23:54 PM

Reel

The title of David Lowery's secret summer project with Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara has officially been announced!! on his Instagram

We have all been speculating whether it was a prequel to 'Saints' and the title along with David's labeling it as a "weird" venture make me think we're in for something especially different. My fingers are crossed that "weird" means "scary"

Jeremy Blackman

Well, I for one hope that weird means it's like Upstream Color! Pretty please.

matt35mm

I'm going to Sundance for a couple of days and am aiming to see this movie. Maybe I'll even get to meet this David Lowery fellow!

Ghostboy

I hope you get to see it there Matt!

It's definitely weird. A different brand of weird from UPSTREAM COLOR (and I feel comfortable saying it's not nearly as masterful as that movie is) but weird all the same. It's going to frustrate and/or annoy a lot of people.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Ghostboy on December 18, 2016, 10:43:57 PMIt's going to frustrate and/or annoy a lot of people.

My body is ready.

matt35mm

Quote from: Ghostboy on December 18, 2016, 10:43:57 PM
I hope you get to see it there Matt!

It's definitely weird. A different brand of weird from UPSTREAM COLOR (and I feel comfortable saying it's not nearly as masterful as that movie is) but weird all the same. It's going to frustrate and/or annoy a lot of people.

U know I like that shit tho

Tictacbk

matt35mm

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/sundance-casey-afflecks-a-ghost-story-sells-to-a24-exclusive-1201955134/

Sundance: Casey Affleck's 'A Ghost Story' Sells to A24 (EXCLUSIVE)

With less than two weeks until the launch of Sundance 2017, another movie has already sold. A24 has scooped up worldwide distribution rights to David Lowery's "A Ghost Story," Variety has learned.

The spooky drama reunites Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara, who starred in Lowery's "Ain't Them Bodies Saints," which debuted at Sundance in 2013. "A Ghost Story" will premiere as part of the festival's Next section. A24 had such confidence in the film, they bought it sight unseen, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

The movie is produced by Adam Donaghey, Toby Halbrooks, James M. Johnston and Liz Franke. Lowery, who previously directed Disney's 2016 remake of "Pete's Dragon," also wrote the script.

Just a year ago, Casey Affleck went to Sundance with "Manchester by the Sea," the Kenneth Lonergan drama that sold to Amazon Studios for $10 million. Since then, that indie has grossed more than $30 million at the U.S. box office, as one of this year's major Oscar contenders, which is expected to earn Affleck a best actor nomination.

"A Ghost Story" is one of several of this year's Sundance movies that have sold before the festival even began, as distributors are trying to avoid all-night bidding wars with new deep-pocketed players. That's an early sign this year's festival could be a robust market. As Variety exclusively reported, Sony Pictures Classics bought world rights for the love story "Call Me By Your Name" for roughly $6 million. And Netflix has scooped up the documentary "Casting JonBenet," about the 1996 murder of 6-year-old beauty pageant contestant JonBenet Ramsey.

WME Global Entertainment handled the deal for "A Ghost Story."

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: matt35mm on January 08, 2017, 03:41:07 PM"A Ghost Story" is one of several of this year's Sundance movies that have sold before the festival even began, as distributors are trying to avoid all-night bidding wars with new deep-pocketed players. That's an early sign this year's festival could be a robust market.

This seems like a hopeful sign for movies in general, right? Or am I being naive?

polkablues

I think Netflix and Amazon hitting the market hard in the past couple years has had a huge positive effect. The days of the multiplex monopoly are waning, and there's space for lower-budget, original midmarket films again. This is a huge opportunity for quality cinema to be commercially viable again.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

For those who don't follow the Instagram, First still image and a few tidbits on the tone of the film!

Reel

I knew I spoke too soon saying that was the first image! I hadn't checked the blog where there is a much spookier still and detailed rundown on what this is/how it came to be.

Quote from: Ghostboy
Our joke pitch for the project was Beetlejuice as remade by Apichatpong Werathesakul.

polkablues

Curious if Ghostboy has seen I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House yet. I'm getting the sense his movie might have a similar tone and vibe to that one, though I imagine his film is probably a good bit odder.

jenkins

polka that's an adorably casual way to mention obscure shit, i think the method was because you really don't know if Ghostboy has seen that movie, I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, which movie i'd certainly never heard of, and having read its wiki i can guess what is meant by potential differences and similarities, and this whole post comes from me wanting to quote this part

QuoteApril Wolfe of The Village Voice described it as "the most atmospherically faithful adaptation ever of a Shirley Jackson book that never existed"

polkablues

It was bought by Netflix and currently available to watch there. Made by Oz Perkins (son of Anthony), who's kind of a big up-and-comer right now between that and his earlier, yet to be released film The Blackcoat's Daughter. He's a master of atmosphere, but a bit rough narratively. They're both gorgeous movies with great performances, though.