favorite eddie murphy moment?

Started by pete, August 27, 2003, 03:11:36 PM

Find Your Magali

Cripes, Richard Matheson must be cringing at that one. Nothing like taking powerful sci-fi and turning it into a family comedy.

What's next? Jack Black in "I Am Legend"?

Kal

The Distinguished Gentelmen... what a great movie... I watch it over again and man I laugh like crazy

bonanzataz

his mama named him cassius clay, i'll call him cassius clay!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ProgWRX

coming to america... i can watch that movie over and over and over and over and over...

i really dont know what happened to him  :oops:  although his voicework in Shrek was  8)
-Carlos

godardian

I guess his Mr. Rogers thing on SNL is my favorite- possibly only- Eddie Murphy moment. I liked Bowfinger. I think he's much too highly regarded, generally.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: gwaighostbusters
You were gonna credit Ernie Hudson's role to Eddie, weren't you? Poor Ernie, guy gets so little recognition, now they're taking away old roles from him that he already did!
um, eddie was in fact offered the gig to do ghostbusters but he passed (!)

...and so you list it as one of the greatest Murphy moments??
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Eddie Murphy to Return as Axel Foley?
Source: Moviehole

Moviehole reports that Eddie Murphy won't be back for Dr. Dolittle 3, as it's going straight-to-video, but he might still return as Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop 4:

Fox has decided to go ahead and make "Doctor Dolittle 3" a straight-to-video title, which – and not surprisingly, it'd do nothing for Murphy's fledging career - hasn't fared well with Eddie Murphy's camp. Now they're on the hunt for a new Vet who can talk to the animals, hoping he'll be quite happy to continue the franchise, indefinitely on a direct to black box basis.

"Kids are the way to go apparently, and the direct to video market is proving to be just as worthwhile as theatrical releases when it comes to sequels like this," we're informed.

The $71 million dollar "Dolittle" remake consequently made $63,382,444 on home video.

Fox are reportedly looking at a number of recognizable, near-name actors to headline the second sequel.

Meantime, Murphy's "busy at work on the Daddy Day Care sequel, Daddy Day Camp" with the studio. Then, according to the scooper, Axel Foley might be making a comeback. "Jason Richman's draft for "Beverly Hills Cop 4" has also been met favourably, and that's likely to be on Murphy’s slate for later this year".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

GoneSavage

His best moment is one where he didn't utter a word - in Coming To America when Randolph and Mortimer are explaining the stock business to him and they talk about peanut butter and say in a voice you'd use for children "Just like you'd use in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich".  Just then Eddie goes from looking up at them to looking straight at the camera, with an all too-telling look on his face.  His expression is pure brilliance.  

I miss the old Eddie.

MacGuffin, the man of all the answers, do you have any write-ups concerning a proper release of Delirious on DVD?

soixante

48 Hours, the very first time Eddie Murphy appears on screen, singing along to "Roxanne" by the Police on his Walkman.  What an entrance, for a character, a movie, a career.

Beverly Hills Cop was replete with Murphy moments, it is nearly impossible to chronicle them all.

And then, going three-for-three (batting 1.000, with 48 Hours, Trading Place and Beverly Hills Cop, never mind the cameo appearance in Best Defense), and then, and then...fucking Golden Child.  What was he thinking?  And then...the inevitable Beverly Hills Cop 2, directed not by Martin Brest but by Tony Scott, who has never displayed anything but a leaden touch with comedy.  And the hits just kept on...stopping.  For every Bowfinger, there are a dozen Harlem Nights.

So Murphy Moments became painful, not pleasant.  Indicative of his increased star stature but diminished charm was the opening credits of Harlem Nights...Eddie Murphy Productions Presents Eddie Murphy in a Film by Eddie Murphy...etc.

OK, even so, there are his first three movies to consider, films that continue to give pleasure after two decades.  I judge him by this best, not worst, work.  Even so-called geniuses like Robin Williams and Billy Crystal can't match Eddie's opening troika of classics.  The guy continues to be a huge star after 20+ years.  Where did he go right?
Music is your best entertainment value.

Pas

I liked that bit in Beverly Hills Cop (one or two, I don't recall) where he pretends to the chief that he's some kind of fortune teller or something. I didn't get SNL back when he was in it  :cry:

MacGuffin

Eddie Murphy in New Romeo and Juliet Comedy
Source: Variety

Eddie Murphy will star in an as-yet-untitled comedy at DreamWorks described as "Romeo and Juliet" told from the point of view of the lovers' parents, reports Variety.

The film was written by Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield, who worked with Murphy back in the 1970s on Saturday Night Life. They made their name on a string of Murphy films - both "Nutty Professor" films, Boomerang and Coming to America.

Next up for Murphy is Daddy Day Camp, the sequel to Revolution's Daddy Day Care.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

shinwa

Quote from: GoneSavageHis best moment is one where he didn't utter a word - in Coming To America when Randolph and Mortimer are explaining the stock business to him and they talk about peanut butter and say in a voice you'd use for children "Just like you'd use in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich".  Just then Eddie goes from looking up at them to looking straight at the camera, with an all too-telling look on his face.  His expression is pure brilliance.  

I miss the old Eddie.

I agree with this news. I was gonna say the exact same thing.
Run until you puke blood.
Practice until you piss blood.
- Ping Pong

coffeebeetle

"Unce...tice...tee times, a bayyyydy!"

or something like that
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Thrindle

"And then the big brown shark came"

Oh how I love potty humor...
Classic.

Ravi

I love his Bill Cosby impression from Raw.  The whole show is great.