QUENTINS TOP 10 OF ALL TIME

Started by modage, June 08, 2003, 11:17:14 PM

pete

I remember people on this board loving that movie.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Dragon or Knight and Day?  I don't think anyone here bothered to see Knight and Day.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

via Vulture:

"Notably not making the cut is Sofia Coppola's Somewhere, which was awarded the top prize at this year's Venice Film Festival by a jury headed up by Tarantino.

At the time, the Italian press speculated that favoritism had been in play, given that Tarantino and Coppola are friends and exes. Tarantino denied this, saying, "I wasn't going to let anything like that affect me at all ... I was just going to literally respond to the film. ... [Somewhere] enchanted us from the first. Being her friend didn't affect me or make me sway the jury in any way. We kept coming back to it, as one of us said, because 'it's a great fucking movie,' all right?" So either despite being a "great fucking movie," Somewhere wasn't as great as the twenty movies on his list; or it was never actually that great and Tarantino was playing favorites; or it was never that great, but Tarantino still thought it was better than the other movies at Venice, so he wasn't playing favorites; or he just forgot to include it on his list. "
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Or it could have just been because Somewhere sucked. Which means Tarantino probably just forgot to put it on his list. At number 1.

And I saw Knight and Day and enjoyed it for what it is, but no way it belongs anywhere near a best of the year list.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

He was clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel.  A barrel which he didn't find room to include Inception or Black Swan in.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

A better headline for the list would be "THE 20 MOVIES QUENTIN TARANTINO SAW LAST YEAR".
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

Quote from: Reelist on January 03, 2011, 11:01:09 AM
and I'm glad Big ideas liked Repo Man too, and judging by his list this year, who gives a fuck what influenced him? That movie stands on its own as a classic without celebrity endorsements.

I don't care if Quentin or anyone endorses it, it's just that there are multiple Tarantino elements in that film where it's very hard to believe he never saw it - unless they were influenced by mutual older films? If not for the age or anything that ties it to 1984, I'm sure you could convince a lot of people that it was a Tarantino film in one way or another.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reel

please keep his name away from it before you ruin the experience for me

tpfkabi

Quote from: Reelist on January 03, 2011, 04:27:25 PM
please keep his name away from it before you ruin the experience for me

you can't contain me

Reel

i understand with the trunk thing, but what else is going on that you're talking about?

tpfkabi

Quote from: Reelist on January 04, 2011, 11:12:27 AM
i understand with the trunk thing, but what else is going on that you're talking about?

that, the general tone of the picture, the shoot out, the two criminals sipping on their drink straws, musical choices. that's all i can think of off the top of my head without watching it again.

from brief reading something like the trunk goes back to an earlier film though.

i don't see how it could taint your opinion of the film, it came out before QT, so it could only taint anything QT.

Pas

Why the fuck are you talking about repo man in this thread? Why even bring it up? This is not a chat room, man. Try to concentrate please, we are laughing at QT here, not pondering about the influence of repo man on him.

Where the hell is P anyway.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Pas on January 04, 2011, 08:20:12 PM
Why the fuck are you talking about repo man in this thread? Why even bring it up? This is not a chat room, man. Try to concentrate please, we are laughing at QT here, not pondering about the influence of repo man on him.

Where the hell is P anyway.

-Because this is a thread about QT's favorite films, which likely would thereby influence him.
-Because I just watched it and then this thread was magically reinvigorated.
-Any other questions?

If I may, I have one:
Why is the Sofie/QT Twitter thread already gone?

modage

Quentin Tarantino Explains — and Regrets — Leaving Somewhere Off His Top 20 List
Source: Vulture

Quentin Tarantino's list of top twenty films of 2010 was greeted with much ado, not so much for the films that were on it (the list was topped by Toy Story 3 and The Social Network) as for a conspicuous omission: Despite raving about Sofia Coppola's Somewhere and handing her the Golden Lion at the Venice International Film Festival as president of the jury, that film was nowhere to be seen on Tarantino's list. So what happened? Since the September festival, did he decide that Knight and Day (No. 12) and Robin Hood (No. 18) were actually better than Somewhere? Vulture contacted him in California, and he stressed that his list gave the wrong impression. "I'm a little embarrassed by it, actually," Tarantino admitted. "Because it was never meant to be a dig against Somewhere, or Sofia. I simply didn't consider any of the films I'd seen in Venice for the list."

He says he avoided the Venice films because, "The world knows how I feel about those films already ... I put them in a separate box — I was on official duty at that time, not seeing the films theatrically, independently." In retrospect, he regrets not including Somewhere on his list. "Now I wish I'd put it on there — I didn't think anyone would pay attention," Tarantino admitted. "If I'd known it was going to get out, I'd have put it in my top ten." Tarantino declined to say which film on his current list would be dropped in favor of the Coppola pic — but surely the makers of Jackass 3-D (No. 20) are happy he went with his instincts.

Reel

let's face it- he would only rave about one of her films if he was trying to get in her pants, and he's jealous of Nolan and Aronofsky