High Flying Bird

Started by WorldForgot, February 09, 2019, 10:56:05 PM

WorldForgot

QuoteIn the midst of a pro basketball lockout, sports agent Ray Burke (André Holland) finds himself caught in the face-off between the league and the players. His career is on the line, but Ray is playing for higher stakes. With only 72 hours to pull off a daring plan, he outmaneuvers all the power-players as he uncovers a loophole that could change the game forever.

I'm not exactly a sports person, but its drama is evident during any match or heated armchair discussion. This script channels all that (trade picks, player-lore, maneuvering a league) and keeps it honed into an intimate personal-stakes lvl -- You're reminded all the time how young these players are, and how the opportunities to grow into their name can become its own burden. It reminded me of a Tony Kushner script, supercharged with Sodie'z touch.
And Zazie Beetz iz perfect <3

csage97

Hmmm, that actor on the left of the thumbnail was in the second season of American Vandal, a show which I really love.

wilberfan

I found this (as much of it as I watched) very Sorkinian--but without any emotional engagement from me whatsoever.  Almost feels like a stage play (no surprise, given the author).  Extremely talky...

pete

it's not great. it begins great, but resolves way too quickly.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

samsong

pretty good.  sodergergh's technique in this has that youthful exuberance of a student film which fizzles out.  WAY better looking than unsane but about the same tier in terms of overall quality.  his projects since the knick (RIP) really only register as mildly entertaining though the conviction of his style seems to grow in resolve.  i guess there are less tragic trajectories to have peaked with behind the candelabra and the knick in the back nine of one's career but he seemed to be evolving during that time, and the last four felt like he made them in his sleep.