The Wolverine

Started by MacGuffin, October 06, 2010, 01:06:27 PM

Gold Trumpet

It's a little sad because I wanted to see Aronofsky make the Wolverine a fun and terrifying character again, but I'm also not a fan of the trend of major style filmmakers taking two year breaks from doing ambitious films to make super hero movies. Darren Aronofsky is riding high off Black Swan and had the chance to do more kinds of his films. If he does Robocop and shrinks the budget to make the filming logistics rationale, I think that would be awesome.

In some way, Steven Soderbergh would be perfect to find something like this since his career is waning enough for him to threaten retirement (sounds more like Che sadness), but these films need more style oriented filmmakers like Aronofsky. For what he does, he is one of the better and more interesting choices. Whoever the replacement is, it will be a step down.

pete

yeah there's no way this is not a business decision.
I can't believe anyone would buy his "I need to spend time with family" line.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

Quote from: Pas on March 17, 2011, 04:37:51 PM
Did I miss the old news of the split with Weisz or we didn't know that?

stefers and i covered it lil while back

Quote from: Pozer on December 01, 2010, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: Stefen on December 01, 2010, 05:05:45 PM
Quote from: modage on December 01, 2010, 04:15:10 PM
Rachel Weisz demanded $100 protein bars that craft services provided exclusively to the Oscar-winning actress during her four days on set.

haha fer real? pretty high demands from an actress who's proven to be box office poison. I can see why she's married to a dude who wears a scarf in the summertime.

at least his fuzzy garment soaks up his tears cos him and B.O.P. are done.

Quote from: Stefen on December 01, 2010, 07:01:25 PM
^Oh, psh, like I know. I wear a wife beater to work.

Any other Hollywood romances, breakups/shakeups you want to get us up to date on, Us Weekly?  :love:  :boxing:

:yabbse-cool:

Quote from: Pozer on December 01, 2010, 08:59:20 PM
you nerds all xixax on the toilet i catch up on hot gossip

Gold Trumpet

Duncan Jones is now front runner to helm this. I don't think a better choice on the fly could have been made.

MacGuffin

Fox Chooses James Mangold For 'The Wolverine'
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox's and star Hugh Jackman's choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests among directors for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I'm told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I'd heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O'Connor and Brooklyn's Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua. I've heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line. Mangold's repped by WME and Management 360.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

the very best thing about that guy's filmography is Heavy, which was his first from 1995, but that doesn't make me think he'll be any good at directing this. Bleh....this coulda been awesome.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Jessica Biel to Play Viper in 'The Wolverine'
Actress is latest to join the Fox superhero pic starred by Hugh Jackman.
Source: THR

Jessica Biel is in negotiations to play Viper in 20th Century Fox's The Wolverine.

Biel will play a friend-turned-foe of the titular Marvel mutant, played by Hugh Jackman.

Biel joins a cast that already includes at Will Yun Lee, Brian Tee, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Rila Fukushima and Tao Okamoto.

James Mangold is directing the film, which begins shooting next month in Sydney. Fox will release the pic July 26, 2013.

Biel is no stranger to the comicbook genre. The actress, who was once in talks to play Wonder Woman for Warner Bros., has appeared in Blade: Trinity.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Seeing as Jessica Biel only acts in terrible movies, this does not portend well for the film.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pozer

ol scarfs woulda better cast the role, eh polks ...

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Lottery

I like the ninja at the bottom who's looking directly at us, he looks like a nice guy.

matt35mm

Lottery

I actually like the idea behind it.

polkablues

Wolverines be wolverining.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

I'm looking at it on a different monitor now and would like to retract my previous dismissive wanking motion; looks more like a comic book cover to me now, which suits it all right.