Gregory Peck R.I.P

Started by MacGuffin, June 12, 2003, 01:00:40 PM

MacGuffin

Gregory Peck Dies At 87
Oscar-Winner Died Overnight

LOS ANGELES (AP) Gregory Peck, the lanky, handsome movie star whose long career included such classics as "Roman Holiday," "Spellbound" and his Academy Award-winner, "To Kill a Mockingbird," has died, a spokesman said Thursday. He was 87.

Peck died overnight, Monroe Friedman told The Associated Press.

Peck's craggy good looks, lanky grace and measured speech contributed to his screen image as the decent, courageous man of action. From his film debut in 1944 with "Days of Glory," he was never less than a star. He was nominated for the Oscar five times, and his range of roles was astonishing.

He portrayed a priest in "Keys of the Kingdom," combat heroes in "Twelve O'Clock High" and "Pork Chop Hill," Westerners in "Yellow Sky" and "The Gunfighter," a romantic in "Roman Holiday." His commanding presence suited him for legendary characters: King David in "David and Bathsheba," sea captains in "Captain Horatio Hornblower" and "Moby Dick," F. Scott Fitzgerald in "Beloved Infidel," the war leader "MacArthur," and Abraham Lincoln in the TV miniseries "The Blue and the Grey."

Peck's rare attempts at unsympathetic roles usually failed. He played the renegade son in the Western "Duel in the Son" and the infamous Nazi doctor Josef Mengele in "The Boys from Brazil."

Offscreen as well as on, Peck conveyed a quiet dignity. He had one amicable divorce, and scandal never touched him. He served as president of the Motion Picture Academy and was active in the Motion Picture and Television Fund, American Cancer Society, National Endowment for the Arts and other causes.

"I'm not a do-gooder," he insisted after learning of the Academy's Jean Hersholt humanitarian award in 1968. "It embarrassed me to be classified as a humanitarian. I simply take part in activities that I believe in."

:yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

when he was in To Kill A Mockingbird, he ruined the book for me because my imagination was no longer able to create the perfect Finnegus, he was it. Sad day indeed.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

You mean Atticus??

Anyway, to bad about Peck. Good performer.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetwhen he was in To Kill A Mockingbird, he ruined the book for me because my imagination was no longer able to create the perfect Finnegus,
man u don't know what ur talking about these days.

Quote from: MacGuffin:yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry:
oh man, totally.
under the paving stones.

modage

aww, thats terrible.  he was just in that moby dick movie 5 years ago too.  he looked good. :cry:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

Pedro

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Sad news

Ghostboy

I think Finnegus is a strange backwards amalgamation of the character's full name, Atticus Finch.

Gregory Peck was so great. Hearing this news this morning made me think that perhaps I'd watch To Kill A Mockingbird tonight. Then I remembered some lame fellow I used to work with stole it (along with my first copy of Magnolia).

xerxes

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

first we find out about Kubrick , and now this, and yet mesh walks the earth

:: points at god and makes like apollo creed in rocky three ::  Whats a matta wit You man !!!!!!!!!!!

goodbye Old gringo Ju will be missed Mang :: puts on a sombrero and takes a swig of tequila::

bonanzataz

it's weird, i was JUST watching the omen about 2 weeks ago. i actually think it's the only peck movie i've seen. i must've seen it about a billion times but not in a while, so i took the old vhs out of retirement last week to watch it. sucks.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sigur Rós

He was 87! Old people die!

Cecil

Quote from: Sigur RósOld people die!

explain this theory of yours

bonanzataz

just cuz old people die doesn't mean you can't feel sad when they're gone. even i see the sadness in death.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

if only the top two threads were reversed.   then it would truly be a just and fair world.

JENNIFER LOPEZ R.I.P.

GREGORY PECK
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.