Californication (on Showtime)

Started by Kal, September 16, 2007, 03:48:40 PM

Kal

Anybody seen this??? Its hilarious... Duchovny is great on it.

Pubrick

i've heard conflicting reports.

girls tell me it's excessively vulgar and completely ridicuolous. dudes tell me it's alrite.

all i know is i've now seen madeline zima naked.
under the paving stones.

©brad

it's really great. and yeah there's a lot of sex in it, but it's no more vulgar than any other show on hbo/showtime. i don't find it ridiculous at all.

check it out.

Redlum

This just started here and I was surprised by how good it is. This might sound stupid but it's the only show I've seen recently thats come close to having the edge and honesty of Six Feet Under. This is only based on the first two episodes but I'm excited by Duchovny's character and where the writers take him.

This show also makes me realise that TV is short and that I shouldn't bother with Entourage next season.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cine

k so i watched the whole season and this is a really entertaining show. why there isn't tons of chatter on it, i'll never know. the writing is so fucking sharp and duchovny is great in the role as a washed up genius writer.

Pubrick

i hav yet to see a whole episode, i want to talk about a scene i just caught in the season finale. NO spoilers, it's a fairly standard stand-alone scene:

duchovny is at a convenience store with a girl who needs tampons, he's in a hurry. there is only one pack left and this old broad grabs them. he starts arguing with her and she keeps saying "why the fuck do you want tampons?" then her husband gets involved, he also thinks duchovny is a freak cos he wants tampons. (MEANWHILE THE GIRL IS RIGHT NEXT TO HIM - I MEAN RIGHT THERE) things get heated and then as the husband/broad walk away duchovny steals it from the broad's basket and throws it to his "daughter" who has now moved towards the exit. duchovny is getting beaten up by the husband and FINALLY the girl says they were for her.

the broad is then nice to the girl, who apparently she hadn't noticed until THAT VERY MOMENT, the husband apologises to duchovny for choking him. uh... UHHHHHHHHHH---- hilarious right? NO. fucking STUPID. don't make me have to explain why that scene is completely and utterly devoid of any humour, wit, or anything other than TOTAL SHIT. it's something that a student would write. it's lazy, idiotic, makes absolutely no sense. it's unbelievable. maybe my standards are just too high, or maybe i've got something against bad writing.. this kind of thing makes me too angry to bother with this show anymore.

yeah i know it's just individual scenes, but every time i've tried to watch it's been as poorly written as that. how much slack can you cut a show in its infancy? weeds had some equally bad moments too. at least i acknowledged them when i reviewed it.

no one's watching this and it's still overrated.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: Pubrick on November 12, 2007, 06:13:18 AM
it's lazy, idiotic, makes absolutely no sense. it's unbelievable. maybe my standards are just too high, or maybe i've got something against bad writing.. this kind of thing makes me too angry to bother with this show anymore.

yeah the scene was stupid. it's surprising b/c the episode was scribed by the creator who has written some real gems over the course of the season. this one wtf scene aside, this show still has some of the best writing you'll currently find on tv, and i would highly recommend you give it another chance.

jenji kohan, the creator of weeds, talked about how even as the creator/head writer/exec producer of a show, you still only have so much control, and she openly admits to certain scenes that she thought did not work. that being said, you really have to watch season 2 (which I still owe you) b/c I think all the issues you had w/ season one are rectified in how it all evolves in season 2 and beyond.

Kal

pubrick it took you longer to write all that than what would be to actually watch a full episode and then comment. you cant be so sure of yourself after only watching one stupid scene.

you are right about the scene by the way, but remember this is america and i have seen people so stupid like the woman in the store who want their fucking tampons so bad they cant even see the girl standing next to him.

watch a few episodes and then you'll see...

modage

Quote from: kal on November 12, 2007, 11:22:56 AM
watch a few episodes and then you'll see...
...lots of naked people.

but david duchovny is cool too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

pubrick it took you longer to write all that than what would be to actually watch a full episode and then comment.

actually no.

you are right about the scene by the way, but remember this is america and i have seen people so stupid like the woman in the store who want their fucking tampons so bad they cant even see the girl standing next to him.

the scene was stupid not only because of that, but because duchovny himself could have saved himself the trouble/beating (and the whole scene) if he had told the woman what was blatantly obvious. if we're sposed to believe that he didn't say anything just to save the girl some embarrassment, then surely the alternative of having a FIGHT in a store and causing a huge scene was much more embarrassing to go through (and to watch).

i guess i did have to explain it after all.

i'll watch more episodes cos i do think cbrad and redlum hav good taste.
under the paving stones.

Kal

Stefen

I seem to have the complete opposite taste of Kal, so I'm not even going to give this piece of shit show a chance.

No offense Kal. You can bash whatever I like and have been hyped for the last few months (Radiohead, CMBB) I won't mind.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

I'm done arguing with you or Pubrick or anyone else. Everyone can be happy watching whatever the fuck they like.

Stefen

haha chill out. No need to get hurt. It's just a joke.

If you want people to watch something, you need to say something like "This show is worthless. The humor just isn't funny to me"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

I dont gain anything from you watching it... so why would I care?

The people that request my opinion usually know how valuable it is... if you dont like it or need it, then you dont need to listen.

I dont get hurt. You know, after reading some stuff at the IMDb boards, I love you guys more than ever.