Dogville

Started by Weak2ndAct, July 12, 2003, 04:39:50 AM

shash

lars von trier's style's all the same for sure,
but the thing that bothers me is that even all female characters in his films have the SAME characteristic!!!
they're all innocent and naive to death, and they all do stupid things for the person they love, and at the end they got really bad result~

rustinglass

well, have you seen dogville? grace is much smarter than selma and bess.
Had you seen all of his films, you would know that lars' style isn't all the same for sure. You would know that his first trilogy was,visually, very different than his later work and had men for lead characters .had you seen medea, you would know that he has portrayed women as sadistic evil bitches. One thing that is constant through all his films are great dramatic endings that make me numb.
I don't understand what you mean by stupid things and bad results...one might say that they sacrifice themselves for the person they love and the result is that they save them.
you shouldn't be bothered by that
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

classical gas

Quote from: mutinycoIt's pretty well directed at America. That WAS his point. And considering he never leaves Denmark and only knows about America from the news and our movies, that's pretty close to a blind man claiming the sun is blue. Especially if he's trying to make the type of statement he's making -- ie: We're selfish and cruel toward the underclasses, overly violent, dog eat dog, our silly innocent small town American images...

I think when you get to the end credits and hear David Bowie's Young Americans playing over images of homeless and downtrodden, it's a very specific commentary. And while I primarily agree with what his intentions are, I don't think he understands America well enough to make such statements. So yes, it's his opinion, but eveybody's got one. What makes some better than others is the amount of fact and comprehension brought to it.

Also, on a much simpler level, I just didn't find the movie the least bit entertaining.

Seems like he understands us more than some Americans do.

Sorry, if I'm just re-heating past arguments...

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinNew poster here.

That's a very pretty poster.

I could do far worse than having that and the posters for Elephant and The Barbarian Invasions on my wall.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

what the fuck, man? where the fuck is this movie already. why is the american release date so far behind everybody else's? i'm just going to have to import the dvd from some country that already has it because that's how long it's been out.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

It does seem really odd to have such a long delay... but it'll get here eventually.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pedro

yeah...im in need of this movie.  my recent rewatching of dancer in the dark adds to that.

Ghostboy

I love that poster. And it's such a great scene, too!

Sorry, just wanted to rub that in.

rustinglass

christ, is she beautiful.......
I like how the other citizens are on this poster.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

rustinglass

-Emir Kusturica

modage

Quote from: rustinglasschrist, is she beautiful........

yeah, i had a hard time in cold mountain doing anything else but just stare at her everytime she was onscreen.  i think i hate von trier, so the only reason i might see this is for nicole.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

Quote from: themodernage02i think i hate von trier, so the only reason i might see this is for nicole.

why?

Pubrick

she was damn fine.

damn fine movie.

the whole thing is so cruel, and then sort of ultimately humane. bettany's character is funny and provides amusing commentary on the mind of the viewer. some obvious barry lyndon influence, this demands repeat viewing. i'm excited that von trier has focused so intensely on the human condition. and that he's found a way to be "nicer" to chicks. i hope the next one isn't hindered by the lack of a hot chick.

really piercing movie, it resonates more than anything else i saw all year.
under the paving stones.

just saw it, got it for xmas.  great.  
i'll have to digest it to throw some worthy opinions.
context, context, context.