New DVDs???

Started by Keener, September 10, 2003, 07:33:57 PM

A Matter Of Chance

I'm glad about Barry LYndon!

picolas

Quote from: Fernando on July 25, 2007, 08:06:40 PM
WTF is with the artwork of ACO not having the 'A'?  :nono:
on the last release there's no 'A' on the side either. whoever is responsible for the cases doesn't see the A in the poster. or just doesn't know the title.

i'm really excited about the ultra slim possibility of deleted scenes.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: picolas on July 25, 2007, 08:27:41 PM
on the last release there's no 'A' on the side either. whoever is responsible for the cases doesn't see the A in the poster. or just doesn't know the title.

I think he's supposed to be inside the 'A'?

picolas

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance on July 25, 2007, 08:39:25 PM
Quote from: picolas on July 25, 2007, 08:27:41 PM

I think he's supposed to be inside the 'A'?
yes. but on the side it's just "Clockwork Orange". and the A is pretty oddly placed on the front too. enough to make you think they don't see it.

ps. I love the new/old mischevious SHiNiNG font and wish they hadn't changed 2001.

Gold Trumpet

Here's a funny story. Yesterday I sold my nice OOP Kubrick box set for $90. I was very happy considering I knew this was coming, but the person I sold it to was a woman who was buying it for her son who had to sell his years ago to make rent. She said he was devastated it went OOP afterwords so the family has been going nuts to find him a new copy. My box set was suppose to be a nice present for him this Christmas.

Of course I couldn't bear this story. I just sent her a message telling her about the new edition coming and to send the box set back to me and I'd refund her completely.

And you know what sucks worst? Two days ago my car broke down and the tow and repairs are coming to $500 total. With the sale of my Kubrick set I was $100 short and figured I could get a loan from a friend. Now I'm going to be closer to $200 short. That will be a lot harder to find.

Fuck.

last days of gerry the elephant

...So what do you say Xixax, can we set up a fund-raiser to help our friend GT?

Gold Trumpet

...So what do you say Xixax, can we set up a fund-raiser to help our friend GT?

Haha, thanks, but I wouldn't if I was XIXAX. I haven't donated a dime to this site.

Ravi

Burbank, Calif. August 6, 2007 – On October 23, Warner Home Video will launch the first in their new series featuring influential films from some of history's greatest directors. Warner Home Video Director's Series: Stanley Kubrick is a new six-film, 10-disc widescreen and newly-remastered collection that includes Special Editions of 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket Deluxe Edition, along with the full-length documentary, A Life in Pictures.

2001: A Space Odyssey has been newly remastered; A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket, also remastered, debut in their original widescreen theatrical aspect ratios. All releases have been created in collaboration with, and approved by, the estate of Stanley Kubrick. The collection sells for $79.92 SRP on DVD. Single discs will be available at various prices (see below for details). The films are also available on HD and BD as singles ($28.99 SRP).

The films in the Warner Home Video Director's Series: Stanley Kubrick also represented landmarks for such stars as Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Jack Nicholson, Malcolm McDowell, Vincent D'Onofrio, Matthew Modine and others. Enhanced with hours of insightful and in-depth special features these Special Editions include commentaries, documentaries, rare interviews with Stanley Kubrick and special new featurettes that offer a rare look into the mind of the master filmmaker. The 10 Disc set also includes the bonus documentary A Life in Pictures, narrated by Tom Cruise, which details Kubrick's early life, at work and at home, with candid commentary from collaborators, colleagues and family.

The Eyes Wide Shut Special Edition includes both the Rated and Unrated versions, along with the all-new featurette "Lost Kubrick: The Films That Never Were." Separate from this Collection, other Kubrick titles available from WHV include Barry Lyndon and Lolita.

About the Films

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Stanley Kubrick's dazzling, Academy AwardÒ-winning achievement (Special Visual Effects) is an allegorical puzzle on the evolution of man and a compelling drama of man vs. machine. Featuring a stunning meld of music and motion, the film was also Oscar® nominated for Best Director and Best Screenplay. Kubrick (who co-wrote the screenplay with Arthur C. Clarke) first visits the prehistoric age-ancestry past, then leaps millennia (via one of the most mind-blowing jump cuts ever) into colonized space, and ultimately whisks astronaut Bowman (Keir Dullea) into uncharted space, perhaps even into immortality.

DVD Special Features:

Disc One

· Commentary by Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood

· Theatrical trailer

Disc Two

· Channel 4 documentary: 2001: The Making of a Myth

· Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001

· Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001

· 2001: A Space Odyssey - A Look Behind the Future

· 2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork

· Look: Stanley Kubrick!

· Audio-only interview with Stanley Kubrick

· Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Stomping, whopping, stealing, singing, tap-dancing, violating. Derby-topped hooligan Alex (Malcolm McDowell) has a good time – at the tragic expense of others. His journey from amoral punk to brainwashed proper citizen and back again forms the dynamic arc of Kubrick's future-shock vision of Anthony Burgess' novel. Controversial when first released, the film garnered three Academy Award nominations – Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay. Its power still entices, shocks and mesmerizes today.

DVD Special Features:

Disc One

· Commentary by Malcolm McDowell and historian Nick Redman

· Theatrical trailer

Disc Two

· Channel 4 documentary: Still Tickin': The Return of Clockwork Orange

· New featurette: Great Bolshy Yarblockos! Making A Clockwork Orange

· Career profile: O Lucky Malcolm!

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Kubrick's daring and controversial last film is a bracing psychosexual journey through a haunting dreamscape, a riveting suspense tale and a career milestone for stars Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. Cruise plays a doctor who plunges into an erotic foray that threatens his marriage – and may ensnare him in a murder mystery – after his wife's (Kidman) admission of sexual longings. As the story sweeps from doubt and fear to self-discovery and reconciliation, Kubrick orchestrates it with masterful flourishes. His graceful tracking shots, rich colors and startling images are some of the bravura traits that show Kubrick as a filmmaker for the ages.

DVD Special Features:

Disc One

· Scene specific commentary by Sydney Pollack and historian Peter Loewenberg

· Theatrical trailer and TV spots

Disc Two

· Channel 4 documentary: The Last Movie: Stanley Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut

· Lost Kubrick: The Unfinished Films of Stanley Kubrick

· Kubrick's 1998 DGA D.W Griffith Award acceptance speech

· Interview gallery featuring Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, and Steven Spielberg

Full Metal Jacket (1987)

A superb ensemble falls in for Stanley Kubrick's brilliant saga about the Vietnam War and the dehumanizing process that turns people into trained killers. The scathing indictment of a film was nominated for an Academy Award® for Best Screenplay. Joker (Matthew Modine), Animal Mother (Adam Baldwin), Gomer (Vincent D'Onofrio), Eightball (Dorian Harewood) and Cowboy (Arliss Howard) are some of the Marine recruits experiencing boot-camp hell under the punishing command of the foul-mouthed Sergeant Hartman (R. Lee Ermy). The action is savage, the story unsparing, and the dialogue is spiked with scathing humor.

DVD Special Features:

· Commentary by Adam Baldwin, Vincent D'Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey and Jay Cocks

· New Featurette: Full Metal Jacket: Between Good and Evil

· Theatrical trailer

The Shining (1980)

From a script he co-adapted from the Stephen King novel, Kubrick melds vivid performances, menacing settings, dreamlike tracking shots and shock after shock into a milestone of the macabre. The Shining is the director's epic tale of a man in a snowbound hotel descending into murderous delusions. In a signature role, Jack Nicholson ("Heeeere's Johnny!") stars as Jack Torrance, who's come to the elegant, isolated Overlook Hotel as off-season caretaker with his wife (Shelley Duvall) and son (Danny Lloyd).

DVD Special Features:

Disc One

· Commentary by Garrett Brown and John Baxter

· Theatrical trailer

Disc Two

· Documentary The Making of the Shining, with optional commentary by Vivian Kubrick

· Three new featurettes: View from The Overlook: Crafting the Shining, The Visions of Stanley Kubrick, and Wendy Carlos, Composer

Stanley Kubrick – A Life in Pictures

Produced and directed by longtime Kubrick associate Jan Harlan, this full-length documentary includes footage and personal photographs made available by Christiane Kubrick, the director's wife of more than 42 years. The film paints a surprisingly accessible portrait of Kubrick, giving a strikingly different view of the man and what influenced him as a filmmaker. Among the long list of actors, friends and colleagues paying tribute are Woody Allen, Sir Arthur C. Clarke, Shelley Duvall, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Christiane Kubrick, Paul Mazursky, Malcolm McDowell, Matthew Modine, Jack Nicholson, Alan Parker, Sydney Pollack, Richard Schickel, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, Douglas Trumbull and Sir Peter Ustinov.

Barry Lyndon (1975)

Redmond Barry is a young, roguish Irishman who's determined, in any way, to make a life for himself as a wealthy nobleman. Enlisting in the British Army, fighting in the Seven Years War in Europe, Barry deserts from the British army, joins the Prussian army, gets promoted to the rank of a spy, then becomes pupil to a Chevalier and con artist/gambler. Barry then lies, dupes, duels and seduces his way up the social ladder and enters into a lustful but loveless marriage to a wealthy countess named Lady Lyndon, takes the name of Barry Lyndon, settles in England with wealth and power beyond his wildest dreams, then slowly falls

Lolita (1962)

Humbert Humbert, a divorced British professor of French literature, travels to small-town America for a teaching position. He allows himself to be swept into a relationship with Charlotte Haze, his widowed and sexually famished landlady, whom he marries in order that he might pursue the woman's 14-year-old flirtatious daughter, Lolita, with whom he has fallen hopelessly in love, but whose affections shall be thwarted by a devious trickster named Clare Quilty.

hedwig

most excited for the EWS and 2001 discs. they should've had Slavoj Zizek do a commentary track on EWS :!:

it'll be nice to have the DGA speech. it is a thing of beauty.

mogwai

yes, time to sell the old set.

MacGuffin

Why is there no love for Barry Lyndon and Lolita, Warner Bros?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

In a follow up to my Ebay problem, the woman contacted me and said she didn't want a refund after all. Good thing. I spent her money on my car repairs.

I'm interested in only a few extras on the next box set. A documentary about Kubrick's unfished films should be good, but the commentaries don't seem promising. Old actors tend to tell backstories about the filmmaking than anything else. Too bad I've heard most of those stories.

mogwai

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 03, 2007, 11:41:55 AM

exactly.
Strangelove has had special editions out the butt lately, and Sparticus is taken care of, but i don't see why they can't hold on to the rest for the time being and make a second box set and then a small release for the early, lesser desired stuff.

Killer's Kiss/The Killing/Paths/Lolita/Barry would make a great set in my opinion as well.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: bigideas on August 04, 2007, 03:49:12 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on August 03, 2007, 11:41:55 AM

exactly.
Strangelove has had special editions out the butt lately, and Sparticus is taken care of, but i don't see why they can't hold on to the rest for the time being and make a second box set and then a small release for the early, lesser desired stuff.

Killer's Kiss/The Killing/Paths/Lolita/Barry would make a great set in my opinion as well.
From dvdaficionado.com I saw that there is going to be a deluxed DVD of Barry Lyndon and Lolita released on the same day as the others (10/23) but I don't know the details....
here are the links that go to the preorders of BL and lolita...http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UJ48VI/dvdaficionado
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UJ48SQ/dvdaficionado
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection