Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

after reading this  

i am reading this  
context, context, context.

Reinhold

left in the car. mom went to work.

starting:

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Reinhold

Books that i got for graduation:

A Clockwork Orange
Franny and Zooey
Catcher in the Rye
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Island
Digital MovieMaking
Making Movies

... i won't have much if any internet access in july, so i plan to read those this summer.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

life_boy

I just started:

A New Pot of Gold: Hollywood Under the Electronic Rainbow, 1980-1989
(History of the American Cinema, Vol. 10)

- Stephen Prince

Gamblour.

This book was pretty damn good, but the back cover is a little pompous for declaring him the wittiest voice since Mark Twain, it seems.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050701/ts_nm/saddam_novel_dc

Saddam's novel a bestseller despite ban
By Ibon Villelabeitia

AMMAN (Reuters) - Move over     Harry Potter. In Amman's downtown bazaars, the bestselling book these days is     Saddam Hussein's bootlegged novel "Get out of here, curse you!"

Banned by Jordan on the grounds the 186-page tale of an Arab tribesman who defeats foreign invaders could harm relations between Jordan and     Iraq, Saddam's latest novel has become so popular booksellers say they can't keep up with demand.

"We had copies but they sold out after the book was banned," the owner of a kiosk in a busy Amman street told Reuters.

"We are waiting for the book to be published again. Even if it is banned I will ask for copies outside Jordan," said the vendor, who like most of those interviewed asked for his name not to be published.

"I had it before the government banned it but after the ban more people came to look for it," said another vendor, whose shop stands in a narrow alley where old men dressed in white robes fingered beads and drank tea.

"It's a very popular book here."

Saddam, who faces war crimes charges, is a popular figure in some quarters in Jordan, where -- like the ousted dictator -- the large majority of people are Sunni Muslims. There is also a large exile Iraqi community living here.

Portraits of Saddam smiling like a benevolent father figure are sold in some shops in gritty downtown Amman, where most residents are of Palestinian descent, next to pictures of Jordan's King Abdullah, a close U.S. ally.

Images of daily bloodshed in neighboring Iraq and reports of abuses of detainees at U.S.-run prisons have whipped up anti-American sentiment in the kingdom, where some regard Saddam as an Arab nationalist leader, analysts said.

"There is a lot of unhappiness in Jordan about what is going on in Iraq," said Joost Hiltermann, of the International Crisis Group.

"The images of violence and of Saddam in his underpants have reinforced the notion that the U.S. war is illegal and that Americans are in Iraq to humiliate Arabs."

Government censors can axe books in Jordan, but the ban has played into the hands of Saddam, credited with writing other works including "Zabiba and the King" and "Men and a City."

"You can't ban books in Jordan anymore. We have satellite and Internet," said vendor Hassan Abu Ali. "If I find copies I will sell thousands."

Believed to have been penned before the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, the book tells the story of Salem, a noble Arab tribesman representing righteousness and Arab nationalism, who defeats his American and Jewish enemies.

The tale describes how Salem unites divided Arab tribes in Iraq to defeat Hisquel, a foreign intruder who represents evil.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkDress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

I'm reading this too.  Got to see David Sedaris in person a few weeks ago and got this book and Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules autographed.

Slick Shoes

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkDress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

I'm reading this too.  Got to see David Sedaris in person a few weeks ago and got this book and Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules autographed.
I just finished the latter. I really liked the story about the two middle-aged writer guys.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Kal

I just bought the book by Eric Chase Anderson "Chuck Dugan is AWOL". I'm going to start it tonight or tomorrow probably.

Also got "The Art of War", which is great to have and great to read every once in a while.

And I finished reading "Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders" which is a very good book aboutthe Stock Market, if anyone here is interested. My Dreamworks Animation stock is on the floor, and so is Pixar.

kotte

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
Finished it today.
It's the single worst reading-experience I've ever had. I hate having unfinished books on my shelf, the only reason I kept from from wiping a whore's ass with it.

It began with the Prologue. I thought, "Oh fuck, this can't be true." In 4 pages Mr. Coelho tells me all about what the book is about - Love, God, Faith - and how these two characters represent all of us. The subtext is simple: All he wants is to preach about God and Faith and Love but feel he needs a hollow story with razor thin characters to hide behind.

If you want to read this, read the prologue. Done!
...and you won't hate yourself more and more for every page you turn.

The Last Juror
Only fifty pages into this and I know I would hate this if I hadn't just read Piedra (thanks Paulo). Maybe this isn't bad, it could be the swedish translation. Now when I think about it, it is the translation. An exciting page-turning story written in fourth-grade swedish.

confessions of a mask by yukio mishima

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh

grand theft sparrow

Just finished Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park.  Now I'm onto re-reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Ultrahip

Whoa! Wher'd you get Lunar Park? I thought it wasn't out til September!