PTA is not very food

Started by cinemascope, August 27, 2003, 01:09:42 PM

cinemascope

This SoNowThen guy seems like he gets the point, even if he doesn't realize it.  Also I love Jacques Demy, I don't want people to think I don't believe in naive love stories, other than that feel free to think what ever you like about myself, some anonomys "prick"/Andy Worhal enthusiast who just wants to see how much attention he can create and how it evolves.  Who here thinks Ron Sheldon is a genious.  I do, much more than PTA ever will, dead serious about that.
"But...Some people call me...the Street Fighter"-Sonny Chiba (Street Fighters Last Revenge)

BackUpOffMeFoo

Quote from: cinemascopethis guy is fucking the man.

Damn!!! I am also fucking the man. Looks like the man is a two timing bastard.
Serious?

cine

Quote from: cinemascopeWho here thinks Ron Sheldon is a genious.  I do, much more than PTA ever will, dead serious about that.

Ok, so here's the thing. Now you're just fucking around. Really. Post somewhere else about something else instead of coming here to blatantly trash PTA just to piss people off. Do it. Post something different somewhere else. I dare you.

by the way, is it just me or does this guy's.. tone.. seem a little different? i'm pretty sure he's just somebody from around here...

Pozer

or somebody that used to be around here

cine

Hey, one or the other. He just seems to be fooling around with what he says. It's like pointlessly toying with us. I think the thread should be deleted entirely but it took up a lot of people's time...

finlayr

all of this...nonsense...aside....eh....PTA is pretty damn great though...

I mean, c'mon, he's made four of the best films ever made.  A true artist..
Filmmaker

Gold Trumpet

First, this thread was criticism against PTA. Then a general bad reaction to the guy for being so blanketing in his assault. Then the guy demanding for "actual argument. Actual Argument. Guy debating only minor criticisms of his post. More criticism of how everyone is just bashing the guy. The guy revelling in his new fame for bashing PTA and posting off that. Other minor stuff.

I looked for merit in what the guy said, I really did. I can identify with his position. Its just that when he seemed to get some meaty replies, he backed off completely and only replied like he could see half the posts. I, personally, saw so many holes in his arguments that are so general they could be attributed to problems of directors he says PTA is minor when compared to. Nothing really summed up a full thought out opinion on why PTA, himself, is a poor director.

~rougerum

Pozer

aclockworkjj

admins...permission to ruin this thread?...as you all know I can...

Pozer

aclockworkjj

Quote from: poseryeah....fuck um
the admins?...no dude, that's gross.  They are all dudes...I tell ya thou, if I had to pick...a goatsed fat guy in his mid 30's.  :wink:

budgie

Quote from: MacGuffin
Without character development, there would be no story in character driven screenplays/movies. For the characters' 'arc' should drive the story. They have to learn a lesson, or have a change of heart, something that will take us along on their journey (look to Truffaut movies for this example too - Jules and Jim, 400 Blows, etc.). And because we will know what they seek, we, as the audience, will feel for them if they reach their goal, or not achieve it in the end. It's because we have invested our feelings and emotions that we empathize with them. And, in the end, isn't that what makes great cinema?

That's what has made 'great' Classical Hollywood cinema, but what about films that aren't out to hook you into that kind of identification? That are 'great' on an aesthetic, cinematic level? I would say that Punch-Drunk Love is great because of its style, not because of the characters, who really are rather thinly drawn. The emotional engagement works in a way that is not at all similar to what you describe. I think cinemascope, serious or not, might have been trying to suggest that stylistically PTA's movies are nothing special, but he would be wrong about PDL. The whole reason it's difficult is because it doesn't do what you are saying and people are therefore clueless when it comes to reading it.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: budgieI would say that Punch-Drunk Love is great because of its style, not because of the characters, who really are rather thinly drawn.

I'm pretty sure I agree with that. But is Barry really thinly drawn, or is he just alien? I think his character is actually thick (though not consistent), and only easy to identify with in strange undefinable ways.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Jeremy Blackmanand only easy to identify with in strange undefinable ways.
yes,...I dunno if being thin (or thick) is a bad thing though.  I know myself, found at least something about Barry which holds true of me.  And I don't think I am the only one either.  Developing him in a thin incosistant way helps him to be more identifiable.  He is very vulnerable, as we all can be.  That I think is easy to identify with...and that's not necessarly a bad thing either.

cine

I don't know how Barry could be thinly drawn. I've seen all of Sandler's work and usually his characters do the same things. This time around it was moving. Sandler had more layers in PDL. It's hard to identify with a guy who has 7 abusive sisters, when you think about it... not many of us know what thats really like but we can imagine that its shit. When he spontaneously breaks things, I felt that worked because of his pent up rage. I know people like that. That can just snap to release anger and such (not that they've smashed my windows in or tried to destroy my bathroom). I felt Egan had a lot more depth here compared to his other pictures, but even aside from his other work, I found it wasn't thinly drawn at all.