Round Midnight

Started by SoNowThen, October 21, 2003, 09:00:09 AM

SoNowThen

Just watched this beautiful, sad film last night. If any here are fans of jazz, I suggest you check this out (if you haven't already). I don't see many stories about 2 friends from different backgrounds that seem to have any authenticity anymore. If this film would've been made today, it would have tried to hammer home the race difference, and try to underline tensions that weren't there, but this flick just goes the classy way.

There's a scene (hopefully not to spoil anything), between the older jazzman and his best friend/fan young french guy, where the french guy has cried himself to sleep over the fact that the jazzman is a hopeless drunk. Feeling bad (more about putting his friend in a bad mood), the jazzman gets up early to make him breakfast. When he brings it to him, he says very gravely and softly "don't ever cry for me again". His young friend, exhasperated asks "what else can I do?". I dunno, something about that scene made the movie for me. It's at that point that the jazzman decides to make a go of being sober, and being that this is a movie, and that this happens at the 3/4 mark, you're pretty much sure of what it's gonna lead to at the end. So the tragedy and sadness of it just weighed down like crazy. Simply beautiful...

Also, Marty Scorsese makes a cameo in it which is quite interesting. Nobody makes fast-talking quite so natural as Marty.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

coffeebeetle

This sounds great!  I don't think Blocksuckster's going to have it though...:(

Nothing like a great jazz soundtrack though, don't you agree?  Like Badalamenti and Lynch....bliss!
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)