Lynch's short films

Started by Pastor Parsley, November 06, 2003, 11:51:32 AM

Pozer

^way i saw it too. thx for sharing this. i cant recall a more beautiful short.

Pas

fuckin great. I think everything after the car crash is a dream of what would've happen in his life hadn't he died there, thus the relation to the theme.

Or it's the life that flashes in his mind before dying as Stefen said I think, also good theory

Also : is that Pauly Shore punching him?

Stefen

I just think the car crash was a traumatic event that left a lasting impression on his life. The same way the guy punching him did. The womanizing and boozing it up was all part of growing up. After the car crash is when he was entering adulthood. Maybe it helped usher in his transition out of adolescence. I don't think he died there. He seemed to live a long and happy life, but it just started going too fast the older he got, which is how life happens anyways.

The fact that a 42 second short film can conjure up all these different emotions and thoughts is truly a testament to it's power. We could all be right. I don't think there's any wrong way to look at it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

David Lynch's Complete 1993 HBO Miniseries 'Hotel Room' available on youtube.

Sleepless

Watch David Lynch Interrogate a Monkey in His New Netflix Short Film

Titled "What Did Jack Do?", the 17-minute film is Netflix's gift to Lynch fans on his 74th birthday.

David Lynch's gift to his fans, on his 74th birthday today, is a peculiar and hilarious 17-minute short film titled "What Did Jack Do?", which debuted on Netflix with a very enticing one-sentence synopsis: "In a locked down train station, a homicide detective conducts an interview with a tormented monkey."

Shot in grainy black-and-white, reminiscent of classic movies of yesteryear, and Lynch's own 1977 feature film debut, "Eraserhead," the short film features Lynch playing a detective, interrogating the "Jack" in the title about a murder investigation, in the typical darkened, windowless interrogation room. The twist? Jack is a suited small monkey that actually speaks.

As you'd expect from Lynch, it's quite bizarre and unsettling, but also very funny, whether intentional or not.

It's an oddity of a film that Netflix categorizes as a crime drama, but it really can't be adequately put into words, and is best experienced in non-synopsis form. On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, it will easily be one of the strangest things that viewers at home for the holiday can watch today.

The monkey's voice is credited as "Jack Cruz," but it's unclear exactly who is really behind it. There's also a waitress who appears for a few seconds, played by Emily Stofle.

"What Did Jack Do?" will demand multiple viewings, whether to make sense of it, or just to marvel in its surrealism. (The story may or may not also involve a chicken named Toototabon. Classic Lynch.)

In 2019, Lynch received an Academy Honorary Award, which represented his very first Oscar win, despite a storied resume.

His last major project was the "Twin Peaks" revival series, which was released in 2017 to much critical acclaim. The series consisted of 18 episodes, and concluded in September 2017 with a two-part finale. There has been speculation as to whether there will be another season of "Twin Peaks." Although Lynch has not denied the possibility of another season, he has said if it were to happen, it would be a fourth season that will not air before 2021.

In the meantime, "What Did Jack Do?" is available to stream on Netflix right now.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drenk

Fun fact: Netdlix didn't pay a cent for this short. It's from 2016. But being on Netflix makes you a Netflix product.
Ascension.

Sleepless

That was fun.

Hey, if Lynch is getting paid, I'm fine as that presumably means he'll make new stuff.

I was assuming this was maybe something to do with those rumors of Lynch taking meetings at Netflix from a while back. Apparently not. Anyone got any update on that? Last I heard it might have something to do with Antelope Don't Run No More.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

This is one of the funniest things Lynch has ever made.

Drenk

That's an animation film from 2015 set to the music of Marek Zebrowski.
Ascension.

Sleepless

I'm more interested in the fact that David Lynch theatre is a new YouTube channel he set up initially to do his daily weather reports. I mean, it's cool that he's sharing old shorts and stuff on there, but I'm pretty sure the goal is we're all inducted into his meditation cult by the end of it.

jenkins

i like how i won't have to sign up for anything to see an unreleased Lynch short

jenkins

it's depressively charming