4. The Streets- "A Grand Don't Come For Free"
5. Iron & Wine- "Our Endless Numbered Days"
6. Modest Mouse- "Good News For People Who Love Bad News"
7. RJD2- "Since We Last Spoke"
8. Air- "Talkie Walkie"
9. Franz Ferdinand- "Franz Ferdinand"
10. Bjork- "Medulla"
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Sleuth

I forgot all about

Dungen - Ta Det Lugnt

so yeah, that's in there, in my top 11.
I like to hug dogs

smash

I just finished my top 15... after long deliberation it is here - http://www.asymm.net

SoNowThen

I won't count Ryan Adams' Love Is Hell, cos the EPs were out last year...

1. The Libertines - The Libertines
2. Let's Bottle Bohemia - The Thrills
3. Up All Night - Razorlight
4. Aha Shake Heartbreak - Kings of Leon
5. A Ghost Is Born - Wilco
6. Origin Vol.1 - Soundtrack of our Lives
7. Heroes to Zeros - Beta Band
8. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
9. Winning Days - The Vines
10. Love And Light - Proud Mary

...good year for rock
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

the best music release of the year for me was actually a 45 by Richard Swift. you will hear about him next year. i believe his old record he just released got reviewed in Spin
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6825&highlight=richard+swift

but i liked Wilco, Cake, Brian Wilson, Talking Heads, Jeff Buckley (grace legacy edition), sufjan stevens, franz ferdinand (actually just got this), starflyer 59, i heart huckabees and eternal sunshine soundtracks, elliott smith, ryan adams, iron and wine, bjork, and.............

am i the only one that liked Around the Sun by REM?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

john

Quote from: bigideasand.............

am i the only one that liked Around the Sun by REM?

No, man...I thoroughly dug that album...but welcome to my world. Every record by them since Monster I felt like I've been the only one not on the "I USED to like REM" bandwagon.

Glad to see someone putting David Garza's Stange Mess of Flowers....the sheer volume of it is an entire list of ten best albums.

Can't really put From a Basement on the Hill on my list....it just seems too compromised....and the fact that Elliott Smiths step father is profiting from it is just unsettling. Still, there are some great songs on it...

Not many mentions of old 97s Drag it Up...that was a good one.

The rest of my list looks a lot like everyone elses: Modest Mouse, Wilco, Brian Wilson, Franz Ferdinand, Tom Waits, Interpol...and so on and so forth.

AC Newman, sonic youth, the new Morrissey album (most of it).

Both of Jon Brions brilliantly beautiful scores this year. Although they just make me want him to follow Meaningless up with another proper album even more.

although, also on that list...seeing the Pixies live....better then any album I got.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

NEON MERCURY

kayne west///the college dropout

scissor sisters [but the floyd cover is ghey]

prince///musicology

medeski, martin, and wood///end of the world party

brian wilson///smile

mark lanegan///bubblegum

tom waits///real gone

eagles of death metal///peace, love, and death metal

wilco///a ghost is born

modest mouse///good news for people who love bad news