Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: Kellen on September 06, 2013, 10:42:00 PM
22:19

Quote from: Pubrick on September 06, 2013, 11:25:43 PM
Came for the shoutout, stayed for the rest of the interview.

DGG is a cool dude, he's so laid back, I guess his films really do reflect who he is. He's just a good guy, good director, probly won't be a classic hero for the ages like PTA or Malick etc, George Washington kinda mislead people to set those expectations. He has a lot of nice things to say about a lot of directors especially in the last few mins of that interview he goes on like a shoutout spree, shoutout shootout?

Good guy David Gordon Green, GGDGG.

Ps. For those who won't be watching the video, what he actually says about PTA is that everyone should be making shorter and cheaper movies under 90mins long, unless you're a PTA like genius who can pace a film in such a way that you don't get itchy butt halfway through. That's right, DGG gets an itchy butt if a movie runs too long.

Cure for itchy butt: PTA.

I know it's not a DGG thread, BUT watching this made me realize that I love reading/watching/listening to his interviews because he doesn't just repeat the same stories or soundbites, which is typical of anyone being interviewed many times about the same thing (not that I blame anyone for that... in some ways I like it, as long as it's not robotic, because hearing the same story a lot of times but phrased slightly differently each time is sort of captivating to me).

DGG is really good at engaging in the moment with the person in front of him, and he's a really chatty guy, and he'll just chat. He doesn't seem to come too prepared, and he'll toss a curveball answer without missing a beat. I think this is reflected in most of his movies, and is probably at the core of why his movies (even his not-so-great ones) feel genuine. They're all made by this fast-talking giant kid who wants to zig rather than zag, even in his interviews, but never in a way that makes you feel like he's just fucking with you. I once talked with him one-on-one after a Q&A and had such a strange mix of ease and intimidation all at once. I live with one of his high school buddies now.

admin edit: added context

Just Withnail

Quote from: Xavier DolanYeah and you admit that and want to make something people will see.
Yes, I'm not into the whole fuck Hollywood field. I worship it and I have so much fun those films. I'm not going to stick to one genre or one film my entire life. This something that I hope in ten years, when I'll be dead, people will say about me, that I did make different things. That's what I admire about Paul Thomas Anderson, that he can do Boogie Nights and then Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love—which is basically, staged and choreographed from the first second to the last and every shot in there is pure. It's everything.

He claimed it was his take on the conventional romantic comedy.
Well what happened on set, Paul? I think whatever his initial goal was, the result is really, really a masterpiece. He's so versatile, that's what impressive, it's his ability to do that movie and then There Will Be Blood.

wilder

Roman Polanski, risking arrest, gives a master class at Poland's Gydnia Film Festival
via The Dissolve

At age 80, Roman Polanski is still technically a fugitive from justice, making his appearance yesterday and today at Poland's Gydnia Film Festival something of a surprise. Polanski was last in the country two years ago for a friend's funeral and a rare recent Vanity Fair profile noted that his inability to move around for fear of extradition relating to still-open charges regarding his 1977 rape of then-13-year-old Samantha Geimer was somewhat exaggerated: "in February 2009, for example, Polanski's lawyers announced in open court that he would be filming in Germany (from where he was extraditable); Polanski had also shot The Pianist there in 2001, had owned a house in Spain for 20 years, served as a judge at the Venice Film Festival, and spent most of 1985 filming in Tunisia."

The rape has re-entered the news cycle once again due to Geimer's memoir The Girl: A Life In The Shadow Of Roman Polanski, which comes out next Tuesday. The director was arrested four years ago at the Zurich Film Festival and was subsequently kept under house arrest until American authorities failed in their extradition efforts. Presumably in an effort to maximize his security, only film students were allowed to attend his master class, and today's screening of his latest movie Venus In Furs was invitation-only with a high security level. Though barred from attending the master class, The Hollywood Reporter's Nick Holdsworth spoke with one of the attending students, who said Polanski spoke in Polish throughout and named There Will Be Blood and Suicide Room (a grim-sounding 2011 Polish drama about an Internet-fixated teen lad that didn't make many waves outside the country) as two of his favorite recent films.

Polanski's attendance is something of a coup for the festival's artistic director Michal Chacinski, who was appointed three years ago (as Holdsworth also reported) "on a radical brief to transform an event many agreed had become stale." Chacinski's first action was to cut the main competition slate from 24 to 12 films, part of an initiative to make it clear that simply being a Polish film wasn't enough to make the competition cut. "I'm still angry," one anonymous Polish director said. "But I respect that Chacinski has a set of criteria and concepts and decided my film should not be in competition." With Chacinski's contract up for renewal next month, Polanski's attention-getting appearance presumably makes his reappointment more likely.

Mel

Nicolas Cage told he would love to work with Paul Thomas Anderson
via Metronews

Avec quels cinéastes aimeriez-vous travailler ?
Paul Thomas Anderson est remarquable. J'ai adoré The Master. Sinon en France, Gaspar Noé ! Il a puissamment réinventé la narration avec Irréversible. C'est un super film même s'il est difficile à voir.

English translation:

With which filmmakers would you like to work?
Paul Thomas Anderson is remarkable. I loved The Master. Otherwise in France, Gaspar Noe! He powerfully reinvented the narration with Irreversible. This is a great movie even if it is difficult to watch.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Lottery

I support this. He probably could have slotted in somewhere in Inherent Vice.

Reel

Laura Dern on WTF

Marc Maron: "That explosion that your parents were involved in that you grew up in was the most defining era of American movies."

Laura Dern: "Let's be clear, there was another parent in the house. Paul Thomas Anderson is the only person I've talked to about this, because he also lived in the Valley at the same time, and at the same school for a couple years. There was my Mother, there was my Father, both working actors- GONE. Who was my babysitter? Z CHANNEL. And there weren't restrictions, buddy. So I was 11 years old watching A Clockwork Orange."

...I need to watch the Z Channel doc again.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Laura Dern
Who was my babysitter? Z CHANNEL. And there weren't restrictions, buddy. So I was 11 years old watching A Clockwork Orange."

My film interest has sort of a similar origin story. I absolutely hated cheese when I was younger. I couldn't stand it, and in Norway we have this brown cheese that would make me belch just by smelling it. In the first few years of school, when school only lasted four hours, everyone would go to these after school programs until their parents were off work in the afternoon. I have a vivid recollection of being force-fed this brown cheese one day and refusing to contiune going there. Which led to me having plenty of hours at home alone in front of the TV and with the scandinavian channel Filmnet as my companion. They didn't really have any restrictions about what they would air in the daytime.

I'll be the first to admit that being force-fed in the after school program sounds sort of fishy and something I've made up, but my parents don't seem to remember the real reason I stopped going, so I'm going with this one. My hate of cheese made me love film, and now I love cheese too (except that brown one, which I still can't get myself to try).

DocSportello

Couldn't choose whether to put this in the Bret Easton Ellis thread or here but I figured that this was a shout out from such a megastar that it deserved to be here...plus Easton Ellis annoys me so I really didn't want to give his thread a bump.

Anyway Ellis has a brand spankin new podcast on which he just had Kanye West and within the first 2 minutes Kanye shouts out PTA by saying that the only movie in recent memory that he obsessed over to the point of watching it 30-40 times was There Will Be Blood. Here's the link if you wanna hear it from the man himself, but that's all he says about it so it's up to you.

http://podcastone.com/Bret-Easton-Ellis-Podcast

Edit: I said it was within the first 2 minutes but it was actually at around the 4:20 mark because, go figure, Ellis wouldn't shut up long enough for Kanye to answer the question he was trying to ask. Also, its the debut episode of the podcast that is the Kanye one.

Reel

Thanks, that's awesome. I'm gonna stop everything I'm doing and listen to that...I'm not really doing anything, but I'm gonna stop it so I can let those douche's voices permeate my eardrums and get oh so much sadistic pleasure from it.

Cloudy

*Deleted bc I realized it was a dumb thing to say.

martinthewarrior

It feels bizarre that a fan of Anderson, a director who has spent a career bending over backwards in order to avoid judgment of his characters, would be bummed that "someone like kanye" would enjoy the same film as him. Seems like a kind of gross way to think about movies and people.

Reel

http://podcastone.com/Bret-Easton-Ellis-Podcast

listen to Kanye when Bret interjects at 23:45. He sounds like a serial killer outside a woman's window watching her undress.

DocSportello

Quote from: Reelist on November 19, 2013, 08:07:02 AM

listen to Kanye when Bret interjects at 23:45. He sounds like a serial killer outside a woman's window watching her undress.

I'm in class on a phone so I can't check what part of the conversation that is, but I bet it's when Ellis takes over the bootleg topic because I noticed the same thing. He sounded like Beavis and/or Butthead to me. Heavy mouth-breathing n' shit.

modage

The Rat, still talking about PTA, 15 years later...

"Look, Scorsese and Spielberg will reference the same movies, like "Peeping Tom" by Michael Powell, because they're the same age basically. So if you ask Paul Thomas Anderson, even if we're completely different filmmakers, all of his favorite movies are my favorite movies. It just is. So it's because we grew up in that era. The '70s, to us, was the end all. We saw the movies of the '50s and '60s but they didn't mean as much."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kellen

It used to be kinda funny but now it's just embarrassing.