i started a film club

Started by JG, December 08, 2005, 08:18:07 PM

w/o horse

Fucking Herzog man.  It's your duty.

Also, split, right?
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

pete

try To Live.  not too old, but feels old, and it is a great and often overlooked movie.  I saw it in 7th grade and loved it, so I'm sure your peers can sit through it too.  It is probably the most soulful movie of the 20th century.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

context, context, context.

squints

We have a couple of clubs like that here in oklahoma (as weird as that sounds)...one is called unseen cinema that shows about 4 or 5 movies a semester and another group called the Claude Raines Appreciation Society (CRAS)...CRAS shows mostly obscure films that they praise because of their enormous camp value or other such reasons...(they played All American Murder..a film made in the 80s that just happens to feature Christopher Walken and was shot on our campus)..but the unseen cinema is great..I had already seen OLDBOY but that was the first one they showed this semester and seeing it on the big screen was fantastic...Unseen Cinema has also showed some greats like A Knife in the Water, Gun Crazy (AkA Deadly is the Female), Osama, Hyenas, and most recently Errol Morris's Gates of Heaven (which i enjoyed immensely)...both of the programs are great because i can't tell you all how ignorant most okies are when it comes to film (except of course for FilmStudent and RegularKarate)...and i'm happy to say i'm partially responsible for the playing of OLDBOY...next semester i suggested Downfall...hopefully they'll play it
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

camp value...kids need to chill out with the whole camp value craze.  I mean, the whole thing got old in the late 90s when UPS was making campy ads.  what's wrong with just liking a bad movie?  why do kids these days feel the need to be snide in order to show that they're having a good time in public? 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

squints

i'm not a member of CRAS..mostly cause the kids are pretentious douches
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

soixante

A good intro to Bergman is Wild Strawberries.  Persona is too complex to start with.

Bresson's Au Hazard Balthasar is good because it's mostly visual.

Godard's Weekend, or My Life to Live.

Battleship Potemkin.

Umberto D.

Rules of the Game.

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Shadows.
Music is your best entertainment value.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 08, 2005, 08:18:07 PM
So tonight I showed the 400 Blows at my school.  I started this club called film team, and the idea is to expose kids to great movies that they'd probably never see--mainly classic foreign movies.  400 blows was the first one we showed. next week is la strada (my personal favorite of fellini)

we projected the criterion version and it looked great.   kids that i would have never thought really liked it. 

good luck.......but please change the name....film team sounds so...well, you know :yabbse-grin:

The Perineum Falcon

I don't know if I'd choose to show Metropolis or not. Silent films have a bad name, really, among those who never watch them. When one says "silent film" they think of Vaudeville or over acting and silly speeded up film. Metropolis garnered a few laughs when shown in my Modern Art class, it's good for the sheer spectacle, but I think it has some of those issues I've mentioned.
I remember The Passion of Joan of Arc changed the way I thought of Silent films. It's beautiful and moving (especially with "Voices of Light") and has totally stood up over time.
And it's foreign. :wink:

Quote from: soixante on December 15, 2005, 02:49:05 AM
Rules of the Game.
Deffinitely. :yabbse-thumbup:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

soixante

I picked Wild Strawberries because that was the first Bergman film I ever saw.  I saw it when I was in high school, and I felt like I could basically grasp what was going on.  I saw Persona in my 20's, and I don't think I understood it at all.

Umberto D is good because it is rather simple -- an older man tries to find his dog.  It is really about the daily routine of an old man, and the isolation brought on by age.

Battleship Potemkin shows that the quick cutting style wasn't invented by MTV.

Ken Russell's Tommy would be good just for weirdness.  Nic Roeg's Performance is pretty out there, although it might be unsuitable for high school kids, what with all the nudity and drug use.  However, there is a great scene in which a Rolls Royce is coated with carbolic acid.
Music is your best entertainment value.

JG

Quote from: pyramid machine on December 15, 2005, 07:35:15 AM
Quote from: JimmyGator on December 08, 2005, 08:18:07 PM
So tonight I showed the 400 Blows at my school.  I started this club called film team, and the idea is to expose kids to great movies that they'd probably never see--mainly classic foreign movies.  400 blows was the first one we showed. next week is la strada (my personal favorite of fellini)

we projected the criterion version and it looked great.   kids that i would have never thought really liked it. 

good luck.......but please change the name....film team sounds so...well, you know :yabbse-grin:

Film team isn't my idea.  I had it just as foreign film club but the kid that helped me start thought it would be funny. 

Gamblour.

he has a horrible sense of humor. "the" is funny. make it "THE film team" and he'll pee his pants and explode from laughter.
WWPTAD?

Garam

Show an Alan Clarke film if you get the chance. Made in Britain, preferably.

Alethia

^^ definitly.....show as much cassavetes, herzog, clarke, peckinpah, godard, bresson, dreyer, fassbinder, chaplin, keaton, murnau, kazan, fuller, bergman etc that u can....