"Seven Months" - A New Short Film

Started by matt35mm, July 25, 2006, 03:54:36 AM

B.C. Long

Some questions.

What kind of camera did you use?
What did you use to edit ths?
And how did you get permission/access to some of your shooting locations? Is it as simple as asking the owner of the establishment or having to get a filming license for each place?

This is definitely one of the better shorts I've seen and watching really inspires me to get off my ass and film something. I have an JVC HD7 sitting in my room and I still haven't tried filming anything substantial.

matt35mm

Quote from: B.C. Long on July 07, 2007, 01:18:14 AM
Some questions.

What kind of camera did you use?
What did you use to edit ths?
And how did you get permission/access to some of your shooting locations? Is it as simple as asking the owner of the establishment or having to get a filming license for each place?

This is definitely one of the better shorts I've seen and watching really inspires me to get off my ass and film something. I have an JVC HD7 sitting in my room and I still haven't tried filming anything substantial.

I'm glad that this has inspired you to do something.  Please please please go do it!

We used a Canon GL-2 with an anamorphic lens, and the final cut was Magic Bulletted for that particular look.  I don't know what a JVC HD7 is, but it sounds better than what I've got, so make some good use of it!

We edited this in Adobe Premiere, though I don't feel that the particular program makes much of a difference.  I've edited with Final Cut Pro and the end result is the same, since I only need it for in points and out points and fading audio, although Final Cut has better audio controls.  I use Adobe After Effects for any image control I want to do.

Yup, just ask.  Usually it's best to ask beforehand, as it differs from place to place.  We called one diner that didn't want us to shoot there, and then the other diner was very accomodating.  For shooting on the bus, we had to contact the bus station and this one was the most bureaucratic of them all, but we finally got the permission.  The bowling alley and cafe were places we just walked into and asked on that day.

Thanks for the interest, and I hope you'll make a movie and post it on here soon!

B.C. Long

One more question.

How did you find your actors? And do you have any suggestions for finding actors that will be in your shit for free? haha.

xerxes

We mainly used craigslist for the actors, but I believe we also had some posted fliers around town. I think a lot of actors out there are willing to be in short films for free, we just decided to pay them because we thought it fair, and we were asking a lot of their time.

The Sheriff

i liked the first half, the pacing was great, but after that i wished that something more exciting happened. not a drastic event, but to change the tone of the film a bit more.
id fuck ayn rand

ElPandaRoyal

I just saw it and thought it was pretty damn good. The shots were amazing, as was the lead actress - very very good, which is quite remarkable considering that in every short I've made, couldn't fins any actors, so I had to use friends, or friends of friends, so the end result was poor, acting wise.

I really liked the bus scene with Belle & Sebastien, and also the bit when they were on the couch, and she turns the TV off. That girl didn't have to say anything to be damn convincing.

I liked most of it, and I'm not really a huge fan of short movies, for the exact same reasons polkablues mentioned. This was all about mood, and it turned out great.
Si

matt35mm

Oh I put this on Vimeo a long time ago and forgot to ever link it here:

http://www.vimeo.com/1608933

I hope those who haven't checked it out will do so, because xerxes and I are pretty proud of it!