Dogville

Started by Weak2ndAct, July 12, 2003, 04:39:50 AM

phil marlowe

if stellan is out then we know that this is a fucked up situation, i would've expected him to be the very last to leave...

so sad

SoNowThen

So I just came back from this.

Brilliant.

** Spoilers (perhaps?) **

I was wondering, as it began, if I would be able to take 3 hours of chalk marks and digital video. I'll admit, it took about 30 minutes for it to stop annoying me. But I was won over in the end. Stripping everything away to just the people was perfect. And I can't single out any one performance, cos they were all great. Every one, kids included. And that last scene between Kidman and Caan is just as good as anything I've ever seen in cinema.

It's a shame that she didn't commit to the other two movies, because I could've done without her (barring EWS), until now. Wonderful work, all around. Looking forward with much anticipation to Manderlay.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Fernando

MINOR SPOILERS

Quote from: SoNowThen

I was wondering, as it began, if I would be able to take 3 hours of chalk marks and digital video. I'll admit, it took about 30 minutes for it to stop annoying me. But I was won over in the end.

Quote from: Fernando
Saw it yesterday, and I have to admit that the first 15-20 minutes were almost unbearable to me, then the film just lifted off like a rockett

SoNowThen

hehehe, big thread, I couldn't get around to reading it all...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Fernando

Quote from: SoNowThenhehehe, big thread, I couldn't get around to reading it all...

Oh no, I wasn't complaining or something, just pointing out we did feel the same way at the beginning. Great minds think alike.  :-D

SoNowThen

:yabbse-thumbup:

Which leads me to ask, would this movie have been even better if it was shot on film? Has Von Trier said why he sticks with digital, even for something as huge as this?

samsong

Quote from: SoNowThen:yabbse-thumbup:

Which leads me to ask, would this movie have been even better if it was shot on film? Has Von Trier said why he sticks with digital, even for something as huge as this?

he likes being able to just shoot instead of having to worry about film stock, etc.  it's obvious from his films that he likes his freedom with the camera and it seems like video has provided him with just that... according to him, anyway.  he hand-operates the camera himself a lot because he likes being right there with the actors.  so i guess it just comes down to personal preference.  

had Dogville been shot on film i dont think he would've had the same artistic freedom as he did with video.  there are a suprising number of effects shots that go into the film... the overhead shots of the town had to be done with a rig of, well, A LOT of cameras that would focus on one part of the set and all those images were pieced together in the editing process.  having to do all of that on film would've been a pain in the ass (moreso than it was with video, anyway) not to mention EXPENSIVE AS HELL.  Sure he could change his vision around to suit film but in all honesty there isn't a thing wrong with Dogville... not to me, anyway.

bonanzataz

i LOVED the look of this movie. it would have been stupid on film.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

SiliasRuby

I just got back from it and "Oh...My...God!" I was blown away and since I didn't read this thread (because I didn't want any spoilers) all I knew going in was it was a Lars Von trier Film with Nicole kidman. I also think the beginning was a tiny bit slow but soon as it really kicked off, it didn't stop. So I was very much impressed.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

We get this here on friday. Finally.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sigur Rós

cine

This has been posted twice already, just so you know.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: CinephileThis has been posted twice already, just so you know.

Sorry, didn't read the thread first. It was on the news in Denmark yesterday.

I know this has been posted thrice, but this is the most informative article so far.

Reilly drops out over dead donkey
Staff and agencies
Thursday April 29, 2004

A happy, living donkey

Actor John C Reilly has reportedly quit Lars Von Trier's Manderlay in protest over the killing of a donkey. Entertainment Weekly reports that the Chicago star walked off the film's set in Trollhatten, Sweden last month. He has since been replaced by Slovenian actor Zelijko Ivanek.
According to the swirl of rumours emanating from the shoot, 38 year-old Reilly was outraged over a scene that involved the slaughter of a donkey for food. But executive producer Peter Aalbaek Jensen insists that the donkey was old and sick and that the killing was entirely humane.

Speaking from the Zentropa production office in Denmark, Aalbaek told the Ritzau news bureau: "As it was explained to me from Sweden, everything went by the book and the entire process was monitored by a veterinarian. We were very conscientious about that, because we didn't want 70,000 American animal rights groups on our back." That said, he added wryly, "We could probably kill six children for a film without anyone raising a fuss." As yet, there are no reports of children being murdered on the set of Manderlay.

Reilly's exit marks the second major loss to the cast of Von Trier's film. Nicole Kidman was originally committed to star in the movie, following up her turn in the director's previous film Dogville, but bailed out of the project last summer. A tale of racism in the segregated south, Manderlay is the second part in Von Trier's controversial trilogy of films about America.
context, context, context.

cine

I think a few more articles about Reilly leaving the film and I think Xixax.com will legally be forced to shut down.