The Big Bounce

Started by ono, January 27, 2004, 07:12:08 PM

ono

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315824/

Starts Friday.  Stars Owen Wilson and Charlie Sheen, among others.  Only reason I'm posting this is one of my local arthouse, for some inexplicable reason, is showing this.  Anyone heard anything?  I didn't see any thread anywhere, but I could've overlooked it.

modage

it's a studio release coming out in january so it's going to suck.  also, Elmore Leonard apparently doesnt care for it either...

[Leonard] didn't have anything too positive to say about the latest movie version of his novel "The Big Bounce"- remember it was made into a movie in 1969 with Ryan O'Neal in the lead... He said they changed the story around and it lacked his writing style & dialog.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

...this will suck like epic-like....i'm talking riddick level....

but ..you guys want to knnow  why....?......well its all about the cast.......when you through in owen wilsonnn...and that sassy lady in the leads ....you loose the coolness..of out ofsight and jackie brown and get shorty......annd your left with a life less ordinary kind of vibe...and that sucks.......that skateboarding scene is phucking cheese.....(all it needed was an original song by natalie imbruglia and it woul dhave been complete)......but as i said beffore its all about the casting...and this one is miscasted bigtime......  :roll: ...owen wilsonn......?????...right off the bat ..i'm thinking its a cheesy romeanntic comedy....and watered down leonard.....

Fishbulb

I've seen it. It's not very good. Owen raises a few chuckles by delivering his (lackluster) lines in his typical Owen-esque way, but the story is very, very slight. The movie's only about 89 minutes long too. Basically a bunch of scenes are slapped together and then at the hour and a half mark, everything comes to an abrupt, unsatisfying conclusion. Lots of footage of Hawaii is used between scenes. Sara Foster may have a nice enough body (although personally my tastes run more to the Ginnifer Goodwin type), but she sucks as an actress. She can't deliver lines for crap.
Charlie Sheen and Vinnie Jones are wasted. Gary Sinise is in the movie for about 5 minutes total.

So...yeah. January release. Can't wait for February already.

modage

Quote from: FishbulbSo...yeah. January release. Can't wait for February already.
yep, thats January.  unfortunately February isnt going to be much better.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

That Sara Foster bird looks smmmmmmmmmokin'
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pozer

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: FishbulbSo...yeah. January release. Can't wait for February already.
yep, thats January.  unfortunately February isnt going to be much better.

sucks.
Do you guys find yourselves seeing movies twice because of this? I've seen 21 Grams and Big Fish for the second time this month because of the Janurary shenanigans.

Ravi

Quote from: poserismssucks.
Do you guys find yourselves seeing movies twice because of this? I've seen 21 Grams and Big Fish for the second time this month because of the Janurary shenanigans.

No, but I have started cutting myself.

Chest Rockwell

Once we get to March all will be good. Eternal Sunshine in March, then Kill Bill vol. 2 in April.

The only thing keeping me going now is re-releases of Lost in Translation, Mystic River, etc., and at also the new release of Girl with a Pearl Earring this week, which was great!

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Sorry, but after 'Gigli', people should A) Stop trying to copy the Barry Sonnefeld style turning Elmore Leonard works into happy-go-lucky modern gangsters on the beach movies and B) Avoid making a movie people might compare to it just after seeing a trailer. I know it's no shitty wannabe movie, but it's probably close to crappy, right?
Time to move on in the world of Hip, Hollywood.