what criterion should i buy

Started by Tommy Both, February 21, 2003, 06:47:49 PM

tpfkabi

does anyone have the Contempt DVD? i got to see a print a few months ago at VAnderbuilt? i think, of course some of it was scratched to heck. some of the shots are so beautiful. the story somewhat odd, but i want to see it again nonetheless.

anywho, comments/concerns?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

took me a while to think of my favorites, but here they are:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Bunuel)
High and Low (Kurosawa)
The Third Man (Reed)
Cries and Whispers (Bergman)
L'Avventura (Antonoini)
8 1/2 (Fellini)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer)
Do The Right Thing (Lee)

~rougerum

Tommy Both

I ordered Fear and Loathing Las Vegas and Down By Law 'couple of days ago.. I guess I just wanted these two badly at the time and now I am definitely dying to see the treatment of Jarmusch's fine ass piece of work... And I also bought the Sex,Lies and Videotape disc, also 'cause it was cheap, but mostly for the reason that I never even seen it and just wanted to have it in the collection - is the commentary any good?? -
(btw, watched the Usual Suspects with commentary last night. Those two boys Chris McQuarrie and Bryan Singer were pretty funny alright, of course not as good as Benicio 'from the bullzzz' himself..)

Ghostboy

The 'sex, lies' commentary is good; it's a conversation between Soderbergh and Neil LaBute.

I pretty much love and reccomend the same Criterion Discs as everyone else. But why is everyone forgetting to mention Criterion's finest release --Armageddon?

BTW, anyone who hasn't seen any Powell films -- particularly Peeping Tom and The Red Shoes -- would do well to pick them up.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: GhostboyBTW, anyone who hasn't seen any Powell films -- particularly Peeping Tom and The Red Shoes -- would do well to pick them up.
I saw "Black Narcissus" & was very unimpressed.. However "The Red Shoes" & "Peeping Tom" have been catching my eye.

Rudie Obias

next month i get my $30 allowance from borders.  i will be getting a $30 gift card from borders every month as long as i work there full-time.  which means i'm buying a lot of criterion dvds!!!!  i don't know where to start....
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

life_boy

Quote from: rudiecorexxx on May 04, 2006, 03:34:01 AM
next month i get my $30 allowance from borders.  i will be getting a $30 gift card from borders every month as long as i work there full-time.  which means i'm buying a lot of criterion dvds!!!!  i don't know where to start....

#1:

squints

Quote from: life_boy on May 04, 2006, 10:46:02 AM
Quote from: rudiecorexxx on May 04, 2006, 03:34:01 AM

#1:

and $12,000 later you could pick up this
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Rudie Obias

no i think i'm gonna start with DAZED & CONFUSED.  i don't wanna go in order cause that seems lame to me.  i'd rather start with favorites and move into the unknown.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

samsong

tpfkabi

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

tpfkabi

deep discount dvd had one a couple of months ago on almost all Criterion and i splurged, so i'm going to chill for now. if you can get on their mailing list they will e-mail you all the specials. not sure if you have to buy something first or not.

Jefferson

8 1/2
salseman
bicycle thieves
rashomon
high and low
seven samurai
the virgin spring
wild strawberries
winter light
shoot the piano player
cleo from 5 to 7
jules and jim
la haine
rebecca
divorce italian style

there are way more, those are just some of my favorites off the top of my head.