Harry Knowles

Started by SubstanceD, February 19, 2003, 04:08:46 PM

SubstanceD

Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

RegularKarate

two-ton red-headed Man-whore

SubstanceD

HA, that's what I think.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

Raikus

Studio lackey is a bit gentle, isn't it? Bastard Red-headed Hellspawn of Hollywood would be more like it.

These great strips from Angry Naked World seem fitting:

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Knowles on Par's 'Mars' adventure
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Harry Knowles, creator of the Internet movie gossip Web site Ain't It Cool News, is coming on board to co-produce "Princess of Mars," Paramount Pictures' adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs pulp classic that Robert Rodriguez is directing.

Jim Jacks and Sean Daniel of Alphaville are producing the project along with Rodriguez and his wife and producing partner, Elizabeth Avellan.

In Knowles' 2002 autobiography, he describes Burroughs' "Martian Tales" series, revolving around adventurer John Carter, as one of the literary world's properties that is most deserving of a big-screen treatment.

Jacks, who had read Burroughs' "Martian Tales" books as a child, said he was reminded of them when he read Knowles' autobiography. Soon after Paramount secured Alphaville the rights to the books, Jacks began talking with Knowles about them.

Knowles -- based in Austin, Texas, where he oversees his Web site -- began consulting on the project, and Jacks suggested that he become involved in a more official capacity with a title, though any director who joined the project could have overruled that offer.

In the fall, Knowles gave the script by Mark Protosevich to Rodriguez, a longtime friend who also lives in Austin, and Rodriguez decided to join the team as director.

"So many filmmakers go to (Harry) for advice and he does it under the table," Rodriguez said. "I've always said to him that he should get credit for this, and with all the work we've done on this project, he deserves it."

Jacks said of Knowles' contributions: "He was very instrumental in us landing Robert, and he is truly well versed in all the John Carter books. With the help he had given and the help that he will give, it seemed only right that we include him in the movie, so we asked him to be a producer."

Knowles already has set up one other project as a producer, "Ghost Town" at Revolution Studios. He said his involvement in the two films shouldn't affect how he operates his Web site.

"I've been working pretty steadily on ('Princess') for the last several months and still updating and working on the site and writing columns for it," Knowles said. "I'm sure as things pick up, I'll need to bring on an editor. ... I don't want it to suffer."

Asked how Ain't It Cool will cover Paramount movies now that he is working on a Paramount project, Knowles said: "This is not about me coming on board as a publicist for Paramount. While I have been in talks for this, I've had test screenings of their movies, not all of which have been good. The site does what the site does. What I do creatively is a separate thing."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Jesus Christ The Stalwart Peon... what did you do to my face?  :cry:

Oh, yeah, Harry rules and all
Si

Myxo

I'm not sure.. But, his name is Harry.

So, he's got that goin for him.

Thrindle

Quote from: The Stalwart PeonStudio lackey is a bit gentle, isn't it? Bastard Red-headed Hellspawn of Hollywood would be more like it.
Question?   In the first frame (or whatever it's called) are they mocking the book Maus by Art Spiegelman?  It's a cartoon book about the holocaust, really cool book...   Do you know anything about this?
Classic.

Ghostboy

I don't think they're mocking the comic, they're just mocking Hollywood. And yeah, Maus is stunning.

I like Harry Knowles, and think he could make some great movies, and I'm glad he's working on this one. Sure, his writing is usually uneblievably poor, his website design hasn't changed since he typed the code in 96 or so and he claimed to love both Daredevil and the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- I still enjoy AICN. He's got a very communicable love of film that I really like -- he's the ultimate anti-snob, because he loves everything. Sorta like how Tarantino might reference Eric Rohmer and blaxloitation in the same scene.

He's probably not going to be around too long, though, unless he loses a drastic amount of weight.

The whole Brown Bunny incident on Cannes last year would have been a lot funnier if Harry Knowles had paraphrased that Winston Churchill quote instead of  Ebert... in fact,  I believe I read somewhere that  Harry Knowles has a Winston Churchill complex.
context, context, context.

Raikus

Quote from: ElPandaRoyalJesus Christ The Stalwart Peon... what did you do to my face?  :cry:

You came down with the small pox.

Don't worry, you got better.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: ElPandaRoyalJesus Christ The Stalwart Peon... what did you do to my face?  :cry:

You came down with the small pox.

Don't worry, you got better.

Oh... god bless that small pox cure thing
Si

hedwig

I like AICN, and I do like Harry Knowles, but I think it's interesting how, in his DVD's of the Month reviews, he'll sometimes "forget" to mention some really good high-quality movies, yet somehow manages to mention every single b-movie coming out that month, even the one he thinks are shitty.

modage

what bugs me is that every month he lists like 10 movies that have been out already for years.  and if they're somehow being 're-released' its the same edition that has been sitting there on shelves anyways.  this months offenders are...

Candyman: Special Edition i got it last halloween
Lawrence Of Arabia: One Disc  its been on bargain bin shelves for years
Billy Wilder Collection uh, yeah.  they've all been out forever, even in this box
Chinatown is he serious?  does he actually think this has not been out on dvd before?
The Howling: Special Edition got it last halloween
Klute its been out.

i mean, does he do that on purpose or is he just retarded?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

hedwig

My guess is that he puts those there knowing that they've been out on DVD already so that the people who don't know that and don't own them can click on his links to Amazon = $$$$$$$