Most Shocking Ending (SPOILERS)

Started by filmcritic, July 01, 2003, 02:30:31 PM

filmcritic

What is the most shocking or surprising ending you have ever seen? I was really shocked by at the ending of "The Sixth Sense", "The Others", "Jacob's Ladder", "The Usual Suspects", "Vanilla Sky", "Mulholland Drive" and many others.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Derek237

TheVoiceOfNick

My all-time favorite... Fight Club

polkablues

"Audition"

"Man Bites Dog"

"AI"... shocking because of how completely wrong the ending was.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickMy all-time favorite... Fight Club

I wouldn't really call the 'realization' the ending; more like the beginning of the third act.  :yabbse-undecided:
Unless you meant the penis shot.

Hands down: "Carrie"

Also:
"Planet Of The Apes (1968)"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

ono

Quote from: MacGuffinI wouldn't really call the 'realization' the ending; more like the beginning of the third act.  :yabbse-undecided:
Unless you meant the penis shot.
"Walls of Jericho" and the line, "you just met me at a very strange time in my life" was a pretty good scene to me.  I don't know if that's what he's talking about, though.  But you're right, when most people mention Fight Club and "ending," they're really referring to the start of the third act, which is odd.

Myxo

Quote from: filmcriticWhat is the most shocking or surprising ending you have ever seen? I was really shocked by at the ending of "The Sixth Sense", "The Others", "Jacob's Ladder", "The Usual Suspects", "Vanilla Sky", "Mulholland Drive" and many others.

It's all about Arlington Road.

filmcritic

Man, "Arlington Road" had a really shocking ending but I also hated it. The movie was good up until that point.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

phil marlowe

i recently bought tyhe arlington road dvd in memories of a time long a go where i saw it and liked it. when i saw it again i hated it. the dialogue and the acting was the lamest parts.

Myxo

Quote from: filmcriticMan, "Arlington Road" had a really shocking ending but I also hated it. The movie was good up until that point.

It isn't your typical  good vs. evil ending now is it?

rustinglass

Dancer in the Dark. Although it was expected, it was very shocking
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Myxo

Quote from: rustinglassDancer in the Dark. Although it was expected, it was very shocking

Good one. Agreed!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I like Pi's ending.  I never would've seen what he did comgin from a mile away.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas