the marquee

Started by (kelvin), June 25, 2003, 03:32:33 PM

DocSportello

:oops: It's hard out there for a newb. Although some are self-explanatory, I can't help but wish I knew the context of most marquees. Still hilarious, though! Any one care to share the story of the Gloder Van Vorkenson one? It just sounds like gold to me.

Reel

I wish you could just click on the ones that are too inside and have it all explained for you, but that's not fun, is it?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: DocSportello on February 12, 2012, 08:20:34 PMAny one care to share the story of the Gloder Van Vorkenson one? It just sounds like gold to me.

Found it:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=11134.msg291072#msg291072

And incidentally, Xixax has the top Google result for Gloder Van Vorkenson.

Pubrick

Not to dissuade you from reading the whole classic thread but here's the original post:

Quote from: Pas on April 28, 2010, 09:17:22 PM
Maybe I turned off Boogie Nights halfway through but at least I just started the best thread of the year amirite  :yabbse-thumbup:

Thanks Polka for the Shining comfort.

Jerome you got some pretty good classic stuff in there! No Peckinpah and Kurosawa is pretty evil.

also, really funny the people who go: ''look, really sorry... like, I don't want to say it but... I've never seen any film from Gloder Van Vorkenson... yikes!''

...... guys.........

fuck this is just unforgivable.......

ah shit I'm sorry ok I know I talked shit about these films and I know I pretended I saw them ok.

I've never finished a Quentin Tarantino movie. I started Jackie Brown I think. The rest I just talked about by reading IMDB. I just hate Tarantino ok!

So yeah... pretty awful I guess  :yabbse-undecided:

under the paving stones.

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 12, 2012, 09:01:09 PM

I like how Google says, "Did you mean: Gloder Van Vorgenson?"

Thanks, Google, but I'm pretty sure we know how it's spelled.
My house, my rules, my coffee

DocSportello

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 12, 2012, 09:01:09 PM

Found it:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=11134.msg291072#msg291072

Thanks JB

Quote from: polkablues on February 13, 2012, 12:31:20 AM

I like how Google says, "Did you mean: Gloder Van Vorgenson?"

Thanks, Google, but I'm pretty sure we know how it's spelled.

lol

Quote from: Pubrick on February 12, 2012, 10:47:22 PM
Not to dissuade you from reading the whole classic thread but

[/quote]

Not at all. In fact I did read the entire thing cause I still needed a bit more context, and it was kind of everything you'd want in a thread. Funny, revealing, down right heated at times. And you guys didn't mention all the other marquees that were born unto the thread: how to steal dvd's, gone with the wind, spaceballs.. a couple others? That was an awesome idea an Pas' part. But shit, Boogie shut off halfway?  haha Damn.

Also, the more I read old threads and sorta come to recognize peoples' likes and dislikes/personalities etc., the more I realize, I'm starting to really like this place 

Reel

ehh, you know what? I'm not even gonna bother with taking the screenshot, too much time and effort when all I need is a simple answer. So, assuming that one of you admins put the picture up, you must know what movie it's from, correct?

Here, I'll describe it:

A shadowy figure is in the foreground, holding a knife. In the background stands a scared, curly headed kid. They seem to be surrounded by lockers or something. The sun is shiny and desaturated outside.

for the longest time, this picture screamed Rob Zombie's Halloween to me. It reminded me of the scene when the Spy Kid gets his ass whooped after school, but that wasn't the grown up Michael who did it, and not with a knife.
( Plus, most of you guys hated that 'Halloween' so no way it's going up there. ) So, kindly tell me what movie this is so I can go out and rent it, thanks.

polkablues

From your description, I would guess maybe Let the Right One In?

Wait, is it indoors or outdoors? If it's outdoors, I would guess Brick.

Reel

It's indoors, but it's in like an open air hallway, so both. I would guess Brick, Let the right one in wasn't that sunny. I'll check out Brick.

Pubrick

Brick sucks, watch the marquee instead.
under the paving stones.

Reel

The way it looked like a Rob Zombie film is what attracted me to it the most, but yeah, I'm taking a break from JGL ( watched 50-50 yesterday, ugh )

polkablues

He's trolling.  Brick is great.

Reel

well that very well may be but the JGL break is still in effect.

polkablues

HE IS A NATIONAL TREASURE.

Champion Souza

This one is creepy.  Because that girl is a child.

Now that The Master is nearing it would be nice if some of the old frequent contributors (Pas, S.R., GT) started posting again.  Don't they realize I need to be entertained?