Gossipy tabloid schlock. I'm interested.

Started by av8raaron, March 02, 2003, 06:46:55 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i do not know where this puts me in this crowd, but i am just not a emily watson fan. Before PDL and after .

i dunno i just get nothing from her

aurora

She kinda grows on you

When I first heard she was going to be in PDL I was like 'oh her... she ain't that good though'

But after seeing PDL I was like 'oo she is alright!'

and then after watching the 'Here We Go' video I'm like 'oo she is cute'

But she isn't 'hot' like say... Heather Graham is... she is more 'cute'. Like Duck Sauce said - 'like a puppy'

MacGuffin

Quote from: DionySuSWhen I first heard she was going to be in PDL I was like 'oh her... she ain't that good though'

You must not have seen "Breaking The Waves" or "Hillary And Jackie" when you said that.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aurora

Do you mean appearance wise or performance wise?

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: DionySuSDo you mean appearance wise or performance wise?

both, i couldn't buy him falling so in love with her not based on anything we saw, outside of pdl i feel like she is just i dunno bland

i fear and i pray i am wrong that pt put her in the movie to off set the shit he was going to get from no nothing snobs who were gonna give him shit for making a film for adam sandler .

i hope i am wrong because he is too good to worry about the type of people who would flip out over sandler, those people are and always will  be under him, and anyone else worth a shit.

aurora

I think the reason he falls in love with her is because he hasn't had a girlfriend before or maybe no girl has showed interest in him before now and its kinda a new and overwelming experience to him

I think thats true in life too

I remember when I was young this chick really liked me... and no chick had ever come out and said that to me before so I was like 'woahh she is cool'. At the time she didn't seem that good looking but after like a week of seeing her she just seemed to get hotter and hotter. And she kinda looked like Emily Watson to top it off! haha

av8raaron

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: DionySuSWhen I first heard she was going to be in PDL I was like 'oh her... she ain't that good though'

You must not have seen "Breaking The Waves" or "Hillary And Jackie" when you said that.

As much as I like it, Waves is kind of quirky (there are other threads on Von Trier where this is echoed), but Hilary and Jackie and Anglea's Ashes are both more conventional films that are well worthy of their recieved praise.  I thought her supporting role in Red Dragon, albeit pretty small, was well done.
Fresh buttered toast.

av8raaron

Quote from: Butterscotch Jones
Quote from: DionySuSDo you mean appearance wise or performance wise?

both, i couldn't buy him falling so in love with her not based on anything we saw, outside of pdl i feel like she is just i dunno bland

i fear and i pray i am wrong that pt put her in the movie to off set the shit he was going to get from no nothing snobs who were gonna give him shit for making a film for adam sandler .

i hope i am wrong because he is too good to worry about the type of people who would flip out over sandler, those people are and always will  be under him, and anyone else worth a shit.

I remember the IMDB boards being filled with this debate in November of last year.  It struck me that an uncommon viewpoint in this screenplay is that almost every scene is viewing what Barry sees.  It's uncommon to see an entire film where a single main character is the only person focused on exclusively.  The only scenes that don't include Barry are the Utah scenes which are there to keep the audience more in the loop.  Much of the criticism of the limitations of Lena is that we just don't see that much of her - in fact, we see none of her without Barry or Elizabeth and in no scenes does she appear without Barry.  In this way, we see her more as Barry sees her, rather than as the usual movie viewer sees from a god's-eye perspective.  Quirky, but not bad.  It's just why Watson is considered a supporting actress, despite being the female lead.

As for PTA trying to appease the masses by balancing Sandler's reputation with Watson, I doubt it.  Based on all the interviews with all three I've read, I just don't see PTA casting anybody for any reason other than that's who he wanted.  Barry Eagan isn't too far removed from a shy, sad Happy Gilmore or a Longfellow Deeds with anger issues.
Fresh buttered toast.

av8raaron

Quote from: DionySuSI think the reason he falls in love with her is because he hasn't had a girlfriend before or maybe no girl has showed interest in him before now and its kinda a new and overwelming experience to him

I think thats true in life too

I remember when I was young this chick really liked me... and no chick had ever come out and said that to me before so I was like 'woahh she is cool'. At the time she didn't seem that good looking but after like a week of seeing her she just seemed to get hotter and hotter. And she kinda looked like Emily Watson to top it off! haha

PTA himself has described Barry as being a creation somewhat out of his own life.  He said he wanted to make a film that portrayed falling in love with somebody that captured the "intoxicated" feeling.  I think he pretty much nailed it.
Fresh buttered toast.