just Just Withnail's short films

Started by Just Withnail, June 16, 2010, 12:57:38 PM

Just Withnail

Quote from: JG on October 21, 2014, 08:56:18 AM
just wanted to reiterate what everyone has been saying - great job, beautiful stuff! your most recent is my favorite, the fluid camera works so well for your material.

Thank you!

i'm jealous because i too have written a bunch about childhood and those early days on the house computer. its a generational thing, so i'm assuming i'm not alone.

Written for film? Shoot it! I'd love to see. It's certainly a fundamental aspect of our generation's childhoods.

i also admire that you seem to be making shorts at a pretty quick clip (at least one a year?).. keep doing it! don't view them as stepping stones to features, these are the real thing.

It's been really important to me to always be ready to go out and do something, always have something to play around with, since noticing during to hand to hand to mouth how little stands in the way of hitting the streets and creating something.

Since the funded projects are a little bit further apart, it's always been important to have something to do if/when the schedule falls apart. Two examples: we actually got Good Machine Gun Sound funded in winter 2012, to shoot that summer, but it got postponed a year due to some bad planning. A happy accident, as the creative vacuum created an strong hunger to do something, and made possible the improvised feature I posted the teaser for some pages back, which gave me a huge amount of experience with actors and playing around, which informed Good Machine Gun Sound quite a bit. That project is still not finished but we haven't been hurrying too much, and it's been very nice to have something to play with. And after we got a rejection from the Northern Norwegian Film Center on the first application for World Wide Woven Bodies in 2013, because of a not-quite-finished script and because they wanted to see how Good Machine Gun Sound turned out, I quickly made Everyone is Present, a still unfinished short you can see the teaser to here.

Teaser for Everybody is Present

Just Withnail

So!

I just returned from an incredible premiere of World Wide Woven Bodies at the Tromsø International Film Festival. We got extremely good responses and talked with a very interesting producer about future collaborations. As the film is now starting it's festival run, I'll remove the password from the public (and the same with Good Machine Gun Sound). But send me a PM and I'll send you the password if you want to see it.

And in with the new:

Here is a secret link to Everybody Is Present, a no budget improv-based little thing. We basically worked with a very general outline of what was supposed to happen, and this is culled together from 3-4 half hour improvisations.

https://vimeo.com/115961726
password: aet

I'll leave that password open for a little while.

matt35mm

You're the real fuckin' deal, Truls. Always an inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing.

:bravo:

Just Withnail

Thank you so much for that Matt! I'm very happy to hear it.

Just Withnail

Fellow xixaxers!

Any of you in New Orleans? World Wide Woven Bodies will be screening at the film festival there in about a month, would be great to hang out.

dude i would love to come, i'm about 2 hours away so i don't go there too often but it's a great place to hang out. congrats homie.

max from fearless

Congrats brotha! So happy for you, this is great and looking forward to whatever you do next!

Just Withnail

Thanks max! and 03 - you should definitely come if you're that close, it would be great to hang out!

We also made a teaser, that can be seen here

If someone still wants to watch the film, just shoot me a PM and I send a link.

N

Congrats man. Jealous of anybody who gets to watch your films on the big screen. Good luck.

Just Withnail

Thanks for that N!

I'll also be going to New York after the festival - any xixaxers there who'd like to meet up? I'll be there from approx the 22nd of October to the 27th.

Edit: Or Boston? I'll be going there first, so will be there for a few days around the 22nd, and then NYC.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Just Withnail

Had a fantastic time in the states, hanging out with both Matt and Pete and also bringing home an award from New Orleans! We got one of two Special Jury Awards, runners up to the winner of the Narrative Short category.

In other news, Good Machine Gun Sound and World Wide Woven Bodies will be premiering online at NoBudge sometime soon in the future.

Right now I'm writing a longer thing about a girl who tries to go vegan but can't do it. If anyone has interesting vegan-related stories, I'd love to hear. As of now the script features a fish screaming like a human, a dead moose frozen in a lake and plenty of steadicam shots following cats.

jenkins

max from fearless