The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Started by underdog, February 27, 2003, 10:14:59 AM

MacGuffin

Guillermo del Toro Gives Hobbit Update

ComingSoon.net talked to director Guillermo del Toro about The Hobbit and its sequel last night at an event for the new Hellboy II: The Golden Army DVD.

He says they won't start the casting process until they've finished writing: "Literally, like every week, what you discover writing the two movies, writing the two stories, it changes. So, every week there's a discovery, and anything we say this week would be contradicted next week. Certainly that would be true in casting. Why create hopes or why create expectations if down the line you're going to go, 'You know what? That was not a good idea.'"

Regarding the creatures, he says there are so many more to be explored in "The Hobbit" films that were not explored in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. "We want to do a muscle-driven, radio-controlled suits for a couple of things. I already started that with Wink in 'Hellboy II.' Wink was pushed as far as we could within the time limits and the budget limits of the movie and we're going to take what we learned and apply it.

"Smaug is the creature in 'The Hobbit.' The way Tolkien wrote it, already, is magnificent. It's already a fantastic character. So, obviously, dragons, you ask every person what their best favorite dragon is, they will give you a different answer. In my mind, what we're going to attempt on the design of this creature and the creation of this creature needs to push the envelope beyond anything you've ever seen on that kind of creature.

"There is some stuff that has been done with dragons that I find... there are very few landmarks created for me. One of the best and one of the strongest landmarks that almost nobody can overcome is 'Dragonslayer.' The design of the Vermithrax Pejorative is perhaps one of the most perfect creature designs ever made. So, what you have to be careful is not to try to be distinctive just to be distinctive, but Smaug has certain characteristics that make him unique already. I am bursting at the seams about spilling the beans, but I won't because I would be shot."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Dominic Monaghan Planning To Return For 'Lord Of The Rings' Prequels
Actor says 'Hobbit' producers want to 'bring back some of those characters' that 'LOTR' fans know and love.
Source: MTV

PARK CITY, Utah — In the eyes of many geeks, "Star Wars" ruined its perfect batting average by going back to the well, as did "Indiana Jones" and several other notable franchises. But now, Dominic Monaghan is promising that "Lord of the Rings" won't leave a similar bad-sequel aftertaste in the mouths of its beloved fans.

And, to ensure it, Monaghan and his fellow Hobbits are making plans to once again return to Middle-earth.

"They really want us to come back, and I think there's a really strong chance that we might be back," Monaghan revealed to MTV News at the Sundance Film Festival, doing publicity for his Slamdance breakout "I Sell the Dead."

While it remains to be seen whether his old friends Elijah Wood, Sean Astin and Billy Boyd feel the same way about returning for "The Hobbit" or another possible prequel in development, Monaghan was eager to add his name to the returning "LOTR" talents. "It's being produced by Peter Jackson, who obviously made the first films, and his special-effects company are making it," he explained. "It's directed by Guillermo del Toro, who I think, outside of Peter Jackson, would be the number-one person to give this any amount of the tenderness that it deserves. Obviously, Ian McKellen's going to be back for it, and Andy Serkis is going to be back for it."

As die-hard fans of J.R.R. Tolkien know all too well, however, the participation of Monaghan and friends means that new scenes will have to be added to the beloved book. "We're not in 'The Hobbit,' no, but I think the idea in [Jackson's, Del Toro's and the other producers'] heads is that the trilogy of the 'Lord of the Rings' films was so beloved by the fans that they're really keen to try to say thank you for the support that they gave to the 'Lord of the Rings' movies and possibly bring back some of those characters that they know and love," he explained of new story lines.

"It's a completely different story," Monaghan continued. "You don't have the same characters all the way through it. And I always read 'The Hobbit' as being more of a children's introduction to the story, and then 'Lord of the Rings' was kind of the main piece."

As for the "going back to the well too many times" stigma that haunted Indiana Jones last year, Monaghan insists he isn't afraid of pushing his perfect record as Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck a bit further.

"I don't really see myself retiring [Merry]. I don't have any kind of retirement ideas," said Monaghan, whose angst-ridden "Lost" character Charlie Pace has brought him an equal amount of fame in recent years. "You obviously want to be careful that you're playing the same beats. You just re-explore that character. And I think once you're in your Hobbit feet and your Hobbit costume, it's pretty easy to get back in there.

"And you would watch the films," he said of his plans to prepare to play Merry again. "And try to understand the tonality of what you were trying to play. I was trying to play a boy, like an 11-year-old boy [in the original films], so I would just go back into what it was like to be a boy and have that sense of innocence [again]. So it's not a huge push to get me back in there.

"I've been chatting with Pete and [writers] Fran [Walsh] and Philippa [Boyens] about the chance of us coming back," he said of the recent activity that fans all over the world will undoubtedly find precious. "I think the fans of the first three 'Lord of the Rings' films will be charmed by going back into the world."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Hobbit' Director Guillermo Del Toro Says Script, Visualization, Casting Under Way
'We are already about a good third of the road [along] with some of the creatures,' director says.
Source: MTV

With work on "The Hobbit" really starting to move forward, Guillermo del Toro updated MTV News this week with exclusive scripting, casting and pre-production news, including confirmation that "Hellboy" creator Mike Mignola will be coming aboard for early visualization.

"We are sketching and designing with Weta's John Howe, and [Adam Lee]," del Toro offered. "Mike Mignola is coming soon. He's going to do a stint on the design team."

This is good news for fans of Mignola, who worked with del Toro on both "Hellboy" films as well as providing some art for "Pan's Labyrinth."

"In about two, three months we're going to full-on have more designers come on ... from outside Weta. But we are already about a good third of the road [along] with some of the creatures — some really interesting and strong designs."

The script is currently del Toro's biggest task, though he was reluctant to specify exactly how far along he is at the moment.

"We're working on the outline. We did the cards, and then after the cards, we're fleshing out the outline. It's a titanic task. It sounds easy, but, uh, it's, I think, the harder thing to untangle."

Casting is still at a very early stage, but del Toro revealed that there's a very short list of names that he would like to see playing Bilbo Baggins.

"I can say safely, about four," he explained, but at this stage he has not talked with any of them.

"We make it a point not to talk to them — or any other actors that are not confirmed — because I think it's bad policy."

One of the biggest questions on the minds of Tolkien fans right now is what the current plan is for the proposed second del Toro entry, one that would bridge the gap between When asked whether that one had a title yet, del Toro could only joke, "I think that if I told you anything right now ... there's a sniper across the road."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

World Excl: Jackson/Del Toro Talk Hobbit
The duo reveal the make-up of both films
Source: Empire Online

And the world exclusives from our 20th birthday issue – guest-edited by Steven Spielberg – continue to pile up...

We've known for a while that Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro's eagerly-awaited adaptation of the Lord Of The Rings prequel, The Hobbit, would comprise two movies, due in December 2011 and 2012. But the make-up of those two movies has been up for debate... until now.

We spoke exclusively to both Del Toro and Jackson for our birthday issue, and they told us the latest, which is...

"We've decided to have The Hobbit span the two movies, including the White Council and the comings and goings of Gandalf to Dol Guldur," says Del Toro.

"We decided it would be a mistake to try to cram everything into one movie," adds Jackson. "The essential brief was to do The Hobbit, and it allows us to make The Hobbit in a little more style, if you like, of the [LOTR] trilogy."

So there you go. The second film will not, as had previously been suggested, a film that will bridge the 60-year gap between The Hobbit and the start of Fellowship Of The Ring.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hugo Weaving to Return for The Hobbit
Source: TheOneRing.net

Guillermo del Toro has confirmed in a chat with BBC Radio 5's Simon Mayo (at the 02:10:55 mark) that Hugo Weaving will reunite with Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen in The Hobbit.

Del Toro says the trio will return "...as the roles they originated in the trilogy." Weaving of course played Elrond in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

The first of the two films is scheduled to be released in December of 2011 followed by the second in December of 2012.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

SDCC: Peter Jackson Gives a 'Hobbit' Progress Report
by Elisabeth Rappe; Cinematical

While speaking to fans during Comic Con, Peter Jackson revealed that The Hobbit is much farther away than fans have been led to believe: "Everyone assumes we're casting but we're not," he said. Recently rumors suggested that Jackson (who's producing this time around while Guillermo del Toro directs) would use this time at Con to announce who would play Bilbo Baggins in the much-anticipated double-feature prequel, though not only did he not reveal any names -- he claimed they're not even close to choosing one.

Jackson said that they're three or four weeks away from handing in the first draft of the script, and that the film isn't even really greenlit yet -- they still need to finish writing, get approval on the script, and have the budget approved before we will see any actual progress in the way of casting. While there is no doubt that the film will get made, it's still in that squishy working stage, and we shouldn't be scanning the trades for a Bilbo Baggins casting announcement for a few more months.

Hopefully, though, things will remain on target so that we'll all be able to watch the first Hobbit film when it hits theaters in December of 2011. We'll have more from Peter Jackson in a little while as Cinematical was one of a handful of sites who got to sit down for an intimate chat with the filmmaker. Stay tuned ...

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jackson, del Toro still working on 'Hobbit' scripts
Production on pics expected to begin next summer
Source: Variety

Peter Jackson is predicting production of "The Hobbit" films will start in the middle of next summer, a few months later than expected.

Jackson made the projection in a recent interview with a German web site to promote "The Lovely Bones," which he directed and produced.

Jackson explained he's hoping to complete the second "Hobbit" script -- written with Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and director Guillermo del Toro -- by the beginning of next year, which would trigger calculation of the budget and setting a start for lensing in New Zealand. "The Hobbit" films are being exec produced by Jackson and Walsh with MGM and New Line co-financing.

No castings have been announced and it's unclear whether "The Hobbit" films will keep their previously announced release dates of December 2011 and December 2012. New Line parent Warner Bros. will handle domestic and MGM will have international.

Tolkien's book, published in 1937, follows the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, who obtains the ring that was the centerpiece for "The Lord of the Rings."

Following the success of the "Rings" trilogy, Jackson sued New Line over profits from the first film. Though they settled in 2007, that slowed development of "The Hobbit."

New Line was then sued last year by Tolkien's heirs and HarperCollins over allegations that the Tolkien Estate had not been the 7.5% of profits to which it was entitled from the three films. The suit, which demanded $220 million in compensation, was settled in September with the terms not disclosed and the heirs asserting that production could go ahead unimpeded.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

McKellan: 'Hobbit' to begin shooting in July
New Line hasn't officially announced start date
Source: Variety

Ian McKellan is predicting that the first of the two "Hobbit" films will start shooting in July, even though New Line hasn't officially greenlit the pics.

"We have not set a start date yet," a New Line spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Peter Jackson has been aiming to complete the second "Hobbit" script -- written with Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and director Guillermo del Toro -- which would trigger calculation of the budget and setting a start for lensing in New Zealand.

"The Hobbit" films are being exec produced by Jackson and Walsh with MGM and New Line co-financing. The two pics are based on JRR Tolkien's novel, which follows the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, who obtains the ring that was the centerpiece for "The Lord of the Rings."

McKellan declared on his personal web site that shooting will begin in New Zealand with filming taking more than a year.

"Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started," McKellan added. "The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons' and the studio in Miramar."

Tolkien's novel is set 60 years before "The Lord of the Rings." A few "Rings" cast members, such as Andy Serkis and McKellen, will make return appearances in "The Hobbit."

New Line shares financing rights with MGM/UA, which bought the original rights in 1969. The Lion could conceivably sell those rights as part of MGM's restructuring.

Warner topper Alan Horn said earlier this year that the most probable scenario would be a release of the first film in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Filmmaker Del Toro to give 'Hobbit' new look

HONG KONG - One of Peter Jackson's frequent collaborators says the "Lord of the Rings" director passed the torch to Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro to give the trilogy's two-part prequel, "The Hobbit," a fresh look.

After the huge success of the "Rings" series, Jackson is now working on adapting the J.R.R. Tolkien fantasy novel that takes place before the trilogy. But this time the Oscar-winning New Zealand filmmaker is producing and working on the script, relinquishing directing duties to Del Toro, whose credits include "Pan's Labyrinth" and the two "Hellboy" movies.

Longtime Jackson collaborator, art designer Richard Taylor, says he thinks his friend gave up the director's chair "probably because he's spent so long in Middle Earth ... and probably felt a director such as Guillermo could bring something passionate and unique and original and new to the content for the sake of the fans," referring to the imaginary world where the novels are set.

"It's an absolute delight to be working with Guillermo Del Toro. We've all enjoyed his craft as seen in 'Pan's Labyrinth' and the 'Hellboy' movies. His unique aesthetic and storytelling style brings a lovely aesthetic to the world and one we're enjoying being part of," Taylor told The Associated Press on Monday in Hong Kong, where he is attending a digital entertainment conference at the technology park Cyberport.

The Weta Workshop president said his team has started designing the landscape and characters in "The Hobbit," but that he was unclear when shooting on the New Line Cinema production will start in New Zealand.

"We're just patiently waiting for it to begin. It's been in early development for a while. I'm sure it will get going some time soon," Taylor said.

He said he will stick to a consistent look for the main characters that appear in both the "Rings" series and "The Hobbit."

Taylor, who also won Oscars for his work on the "Rings" series, said he doesn't know if "The Hobbit" will be released in 3-D, but said the Weta team will take advantage of technological advancements since the first trilogy.

"Like any film, there will be an effort to utilize the tools that are available to us today to achieve visual images that will excite and intrigue an audience as we did try 10 years ago."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hobbit script is done: Peter Jackson says what's next
Source: SciFi Wire

Peter Jackson, who is producing the two Hobbit movies, spoke with Moviefone to clear up those rumors about a start date, casting and whether the movies are delayed.

About the only thing he'll confirm is that the script for the two proposed movies is now complete:

"We've just delivered the script. Literally last week, we delivered the second of the two screenplays -- the first draft. So the studio's got both scripts now, which is a milestone; and if anything was holding it up, it was us doing the screenplays, because we'd just been writing as fast as we can, but it took us this long to get them finished. So we take whatever responsibility there is for the speed. And we're now in the process of budgeting the films, and then hopefully we'll get to a budget the studio [people] are happy with, and they'll greenlight the movies and we'll announce the shooting dates. I'd be pretty optimistic that we'll be shooting before the end of the year. I would imagine October, November, we'd be shooting by. I'm not announcing it, though."

One big hangup, of course, is the fate of MGM, one of the studios that holds the rights. It's still being sorted out how the financially troubled studio will be saved, and that means there's no green light yet for the Hobbit movies.

"Well, it's not really been delayed, because we've never announced the date," Jackson told the site. "I mean it's sort of interesting because the studio [MGM] has never greenlit The Hobbit, so therefore The Hobbit has never been officially announced as a 'go' project, nor have we ever announced a date. But there's so much interest that people—newspapers and magazines, of their own account, say, ah, it's likely to film in May, it's likely to film in June, it's likely to film in September. People make this stuff up. And then if it's not filming in June, you get a story saying, 'The Hobbit's been delayed.' But it's never actually been announced."

Until the production receives a green light, producers can't cast or set up a schedule, Jackson added. "But I would imagine that if we get a green light within the next month or two, we would be hopefully making some casting announcements by, I guess, the middle of the year. We've done a little bit of auditioning, but we haven't really done any meetings with actors or anything yet. We've just been totally committed to the scripts. Everything's a little bit later than what people assume it is. I think people think we've been sort of doing secret casting."

Stay tuned for more news!

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Does anyone who doesn't light their own farts on fire care about The Hobbit movie that's never going to be made?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on April 19, 2010, 01:14:01 AM
Does anyone who doesn't light their own farts on fire care about The Hobbit movie that's never going to be made?

I got halfway through the article and an elitist thought came to my brain, "Is this the state of Cinema to give a shit about this?" The LOTR craze smacks of the Star Wars fandom but yet it's being legitimized in topical corners that not even Star Wars could breach. These films will be made and if they are halfway reminiscent of the first three films then new reasons will be invented to explain how they have broken new barriers or whatever. I like Del Toro and I imagine he will do a lot of good things for the franchise, but I can safely say that even if I like these new movies, it won't be for the reasons the majority of the fan base does. Normally not a problem, but the fan worship for these movies is always at a fervor pitch and can inspire you to easily hold unfair viewpoints about the movies.

Derek

Pretty sure it's going to be made. And I'm sure if Del Toro, Jackson et al have devoted years of their lives to this and relocated in Del Toro's case, that yes, people do care and will be a massive hit.

Not a huge Rings fan, but of course a decade on there is the inevitable backlash against a movie franchise that is really quite good.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pas

The Hobbit has the potential to be an even bigger movie than LOTR because it has an extremely wide appeal. 5 year olds kid will definitely get it more than LOTR. It's a quest rather than a big epic war so it's simpler for your mom too.

I hope it gets made in 2D though

Sleepless

3D will have died a death by the time this comes out. Surely.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.