Tim Burton

Started by tpfkabi, April 20, 2003, 02:42:22 PM

modage

Make an original film that is not an adaptation of something please, thanks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

too much comfort zone.

tpfkabi

fyi - he was on Charlie Rose recently. i caught part of it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Tim Burton to Attack 'Sleeping Beauty' Next?
by Monika Bartyzel; Cinematical

There's a new rumor going around -- one that teeters very delicately on the fence between adoration and fear. But either way you fall, don't hold your breath because it's still very much a rumor: Harry over at AICN was talking with a contact who said that Tim Burton isn't done with Disney fairy tales, and now wants to zero in on Sleeping Beauty.

Of course, the most beautiful girl in the land dancing and singing "Once Upon a Dream" isn't really the sort of theme Burton is usually attracted to. So, what's the deal? Supposedly, he doesn't want to focus on Aurora, but rather the other woman of the tale, the one I raved about just a few months ago: Maleficent. In "a quasi Live Actiony kinda way," Burton is said to want to tell the imposing woman's story from her point of view and call the project, aptly, Maleficent.

Part of me is excited by the idea of Burton taking a stab at horned one's life and giving us his thoughts on why she's the baddie -- what created the rift with the round and bubbly fairies and Aurora's parents. But the other part worries that this would be too much of an event. At times Burton himself is so larger than life that his presence and vision is almost a character in his films, and the only way I see Maleficent truly reigning on the big screen is in a form where that's diminished.

But maybe the better question should be: Do you want to see Helena Bonham Carter playing Maleficent?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

I went to the Tim Burton exhibit at the MoMA.  It was awesome. 

http://modage.tumblr.com/post/341377932/tim-burton-exhibit-moma
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Tim Burton to produce 'Abraham Lincoln'
'9' collaborators reteam on 'Vampire Hunter' adaptation
Source: Variety

Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov are reteaming to produce a bigscreen adaptation of Seth Grahame-Smith's novel "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."

History-horror hybrid book, which details the Great Emancipator's secret battle with the undead, hit shelves today. Story portrays the 16th president as an ax-throwing, highly trained vampire assassin.

Burton, whose "Alice in Wonderland" opens Friday, most recently collaborated with "Wanted" helmer Bekmambetov on the animated feature "9," which they produced.

The pair optioned the rights to "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" with their own coin and are financing development. Grahame-Smith is scripting.

Jim Lemley, who also produced "9," will serve as a producer on the Lincoln pic.

WME, which reps Burton, Bekmambetov and Grahame-Smith, brought the package together.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tim Burton Next 3D Animated Film? Da Da Da, Da, Snap Snap, `The Addams Family'
By MIKE FLEMING; Deadline Hollywood

EXCLUSIVE: Alice in Wonderland director Tim Burton has found a new 3D project. He will direct a stop-motion animated film based on Charles Addams' original ghoulish cartoon drawings of The Addams Family. Illumination Entertainment, the Universal-based family film unit headed by Chris Meledandri, has acquired the underlying rights of the Addams drawings, once a staple of The New Yorker magazine.

Other than being inspired by the same source material, the animated feature is unrelated to previous incarnations of Addams' work, the 60s TV series, the two `90s feature film comedies that Barry Sonnenfeld directed with Raul Julia and Anjelica Huston, or the Broadway musical opening this spring with Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth in the starring roles.

Meladandri will produce the film. Kevin Miserocchi of the Tee and Charles Addams Foundation will be executive producer. A writer will be hired shortly. Burton, whose visual creations are currently on display at a MOMA exhibit that opened last November, is expected to provide much of the visual look of the film himself.

Burton's experience in animated film is extensive. He last directed Corpse Bride, and is making a feature version of Frankenweenie, the 1984 30-minute short film Burton made about a boy who reanimates his dead dog. That reportedly got him tossed off the Disney lot for making a film too terrifying for a family audience, but the film has since become a cult favorite. Burton recently produced 9, as well as the delightful stop-motion animated The Nightmare Before Christmas, for which he wrote the story.

His intention is to go back to the litany of Addams illustrations that displayed a sharper wit than could be place into a 60s family TV series.

While there are many post-Green Zone articles speculating how Universal will pull itself out of an extended feature slump, Illumination's upcoming animated slate should be a big help in giving Universal a foothold in the 3D CG family entertainment market.  Meledandri left the top post at Fox Animation to form Illumination in 2007, and begins contributing to the Universal pipeline when the studio releases the Steve Carell-voiced Despicable Me on July 9. That's followed by the April 1, 2011 release of I Hop, with Russell Brand voicing the Easter Bunny, with the Ricky Gervais creation Flanimals coming later 2011. Right behind that is Where's Waldo and Dr.Seuss' The Lorax

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

please, someone stop him already. and lock johnny depp up where burton can't find him.

Ravi

Is Tim Burton now following orders from anyone who says "Hey, Tim Burton should directed _______!"  I said that about Sweeney Todd years ago, and Alice in Wonderland is obvious for him.

polkablues

MTV contacted Burton's "people" (you can never be sure what that word means), and they denied the rumor.  Which is for the best.  Burton's name is so tainted now, I can't take him seriously anymore.  If the story was that Henry Selick was doing a stop-motion animated version of "Addams Family" based on Charles Addams' original cartoons, I would be excited.  When the story is that Tim Burton is doing it, I would sincerely rather he didn't.
My house, my rules, my coffee

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Disney, 'Alice' scribe team for film about 'Sleeping Beauty's' evil queen (exclusive)
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Having scored a hit with "Alice in Wonderland," Disney and screenwriter Linda Woolverton are teaming to bring to the big screen "Maleficent," a live-action take on the evil queen in the 1959 animated classic "Sleeping Beauty."

"Maleficent" might reunite Woolverton with Tim Burton; it's one of a handful of projects the filmmaker is circling. His interest in the character was piqued in the summer when he was in post on "Alice," and the studio and Burton's camp have been trying to keep a lid on the project, though the Web site Ain't It Cool News mentioned Burton's interest in January.

No deal has been made with Burton, and the hiring of Woolverton is the first concrete step forward in its development.

In "Beauty," Maleficent is a tall green-skinned woman with horns who can morph into several forms, including a terrifying black and purple dragon. The character, who has appeared in many Disney books and TV shows and is a popular Halloween costume, is also the most serious character in Disney's villain stable, featuring a darkness not found in other Disney characters.

Woolverton's "Maleficent" movie would tell the classic fairy tale from the point of view of the self-proclaimed "Mistress of All Evil," offering a new take on a classic tale as she did with Lewis Carrol's "Alice."

It is unclear just how dark and edgy Disney -- which had no comment on the project -- wants to make "Maleficent." The dragon scenes in the 1959 feature, for example, are notable for their intensity. But if any filmmaker has a successful track record of making the dark and weird work for families, it's Burton.

CAA-repped Woolverton has a long history with Disney, and is best known for having written on the 1991's "Beauty and the Beast" and 1994's "The Lion King."

Skeleton FilmWorks

blackmirror

Ed Wood remains the greatest Tim Burton movie I have seen.

Pas

That Charlie and the chocolate factory news prompted me to come here and say that Tim Burton is the worst. Johnny Depp is the worst. They are both the worst.

Is this shit Tim Burton pumps out every couple of years for 14 year old girls supposed to look nice? Because it looks horrible to me. Here's a tip to know if something is wrong with your films: your most die-hard fans are the people who obsess over Twilight.

And how to talk about Tim Burton without talking about Johnny Depp.

At this point, if anyone can take Johnny Depp seriously in any role other than emo-drag-queen (the same role he's been doing the last 6-7 years I guess) please explain how you do it. Public Ennemies was unwatchable, really. Just unwatchable.

You live in France with one of the weirdest french chick (Vanessa Paradis) and all you can come up with is this garbage? Frankly, I think the guy hates movies even more than me.

I bet he started Boogie Nights but at around midnight he said to Vanessa "hey babe we'll finish this tomorrow alright, I'm sleepy." Then the next morning he went on wikipedia and looked up the story and when the gf woke up he went like : "Oh sorry babe I couldn't sleep this morning I finished the movie, wanna know the ending?"

I bet that's what happened. To him.

MacGuffin

John August reteaming with Tim Burton? (exclusive)
Source: Hollywood Reporter

John August is in negotiations with DreamWorks to write the studio's feature film adaptation of "Monsterpocalypse," a strategy game played with collectible miniature figures.

And much like the monstrous beasties stomping around that board, there are major players, studios and schedules that may get shifted around, even pitted against one another, if the project moves forward.

First, the latest development raises the possibility that August will reteam with Tim Burton, whom DreamWorks has been wooing to take on the project as its director. DreamWorks, which grabbed film rights to the "Monsterpocalypse" property last month, hasn't yet nailed down the "Alice in Wonderland" billion-dollar man. Talks are, however, ongoing.

If that deal comes together, it would be the fourth collaboration between August and Burton, following "Big Fish," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Corpse Bride." But the two also have a feature adaptation of the '60s TV show "Dark Shadows" in development at Warner Bros. with Burton regular Johnny Depp attached.

Both Depp and producer Graham King have suggested that "Shadows" could film by the end of the year, after the actor shoots the fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" installment for Disney this summer. But Depp might want to take a break after shooting "The Tourist" for Columbia and GK Films, which would push back the production of "Pirates" and take Depp off the table for the rest of the year.

Even if "Pirates" moves forward as planned and Burton commits to "Monsterpocalypse" and his typically expansive prep work, it's highly likely then that "Dark Shadows" would be delayed. That's a prospect WB would push back on. ("Charlie" and "Bride" together grossed $584 million worldwide for the studio).

Beyond scheduling issues, there is slight overlap contentwise between "Shadows" and the new project.
"Shadows," which has Depp set to play the vampire Barnabas Collins, is spun from the spooky daytime series that included ghosts, zombies and werewolves.

"Monsterpocalypse," which was created by Matt Wilson, who will co-produce the movie, involves game maps on which all manner of Japanese-inspired monsters, aliens, robots and insects do battle while laying waste to the cityscape, which changes for each game.

In addition to the game, which is published by Privateer, Desperado has put out a "Monsterpocalypse" comics series with storylines spun from the game's characters. Fans of the property held a convention called MonCon 2010 a few weeks ago in Tulsa, Okla.

There's no reason Burton and the studios couldn't ultimately do both, though scheduling can get more complicated and interest wanes the longer it takes to get a project before cameras. And WB owes DreamWorks' Steven Spielberg one for letting Clint Eastwood take the Peter Morgan-scripted "Hereafter" to WB last year. That supernatural thriller, which stars Matt Damon, opens in October.

No producer deals on "Monsterpocalypse" have been struck, though Richard Zanuck is likely to be involved since he has produced five of Burton's past six films. The project would be released through DreamWorks' distribution deal with Disney via the Touchstone label.

The UTA-repped August last wrote and directed the indie drama "The Nines." He also has an adaptation of "Preacher" in development at Columbia. He has written "Go" and co-written "Titan A.E." and the two "Charlie's Angels" movies.

Released in March, Burton's "Alice" has since become the fifth-highest grossing movie of all time worldwide, with $333.6 million coming from domestic theaters. Before that, the WME-repped filmmaker helmed "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" for DreamWorks/Paramount.

Together, August and Burton also have a feature-length, 3D stop-motion animated version of Burton's 1984 short film "Frankenweenie" set up at Disney.

Skeleton FilmWorks