What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

bonanzataz

i saw david sedaris at a reading about a month ago and he recommended it to the audience. it's a nonfiction story about a family where the mother is a coke addict, the daughter gets pregnant as a teenager and then falls in love with a heroin dealer, and the son is an up and coming gangsta (at this point in the book). it's very interesting and i read 100 pages in two days (it's a pretty long book and my attention span for nonfiction generally doesn't last that long) but i haven't read in a little while b/c i've got work. can't wait to finish it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Myxo

Raikus

Never was much into King, but after finishing the Dark Tower series I wanted to read some of his shorter stuff. Just finished 'Rage' and am starting 'The Long Walk' now.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

grand theft sparrow

Glad to see I'm not the only one on a King binge.

hedwig

Quote from: Myxomatosis

I'm a big Carlin fan but I find that book cover and the title to be pretty stupid. His humour was never exactly SUBTLE but it seems like he's making the whole religious thing a bit...I don't know -- TOO blunt.

Ravi

So Carlin's got another shitty book out...

I couldn't even finish half of Napalm and Silly Putty.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Ravi

Did you try reading it, or did you decide it sucked when you wanted to sound cool?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

hedwig

Quote from: RaviSo Carlin's got another shitty book out...

Hmmm....Napalm and Silly Putty was the first of his books that I read, and strangely it was my first exposure to him as well -- so I absoutely love it. Then Brain Droppings, I thought, was all right. But then I saw his comedy on tape, and there was one moment where he says, "Fuck Mickey Mouse. Fuck Mickey Mouse in the ass with a big rubber dildo, then break it off and hit him over his fuckin' head with it." -- and immediately, I was a fan.

Pedro

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca

I thought Peter Griffin wrote that.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob
Quote from: Ravi

Did you try reading it, or did you decide it sucked when you wanted to sound cool?

I did try reading it, but I didn't like it. At least it wasn't as ranty as some of Carlin's later stuff.

Just bought this one

and ordered this one

but I'm saving them to read on the trip to India.

tpfkabi

The Man Called Cash
by Steve Turner
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jasper_window

Jesus' Son.  It's very good.

Gloria

Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang - Joyce Carol Oates