the strokes

Started by Rudie Obias, January 16, 2003, 04:44:51 PM

SHAFTR

I saw the Strokes in October as a main act.  I was really looking forward to seeing them since I've been a fan since their LP came out.  They were very good live, but their act was short.  It was around 40 mins, completly unacceptable for a main act.  Not even an encore.

I'm a sucker for the "The _____" bands

The Strokes
The Hives
The Vines
The White Stripes
The Moldy Peaches
The (International) Noise Conspiracy
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

life_boy

Quote from: SHAFTR

I'm a sucker for the "The _____" bands

What about The The?  They have some interesting stuff.

xerxes

Quote from: SHAFTRI saw the Strokes in October as a main act.  I was really looking forward to seeing them since I've been a fan since their LP came out.  They were very good live, but their act was short.  It was around 40 mins, completly unacceptable for a main act.  Not even an encore.

i think you saw the same show i did... at the greek??? maybe... they were very good, but true, they didn't stay on too long, and it was cold.

phil marlowe

Quote from: life_boyWhat about The The?  They have some interesting stuff.

They're great. I love The Naked Self.

bonanzataz

I don't like the vines.

Moldy Peaches = AWESOME!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

TenseAndSober

The Moldy Peaches are awesome, and the Adam Green "Garfield" album is cool too....so are the Kimya Dawson albums..

European Son

The Strokes dropped Nigel Godrich as the producer of their new album. I am NOT happy about this.

-dazza-

"Is This It" is a feckin' fantastic album.

And that is a medical FACT!  :P
"Go home, Yank. 'Tis my field." - The late, great, Richard Harris.

Newbie Confusion Device:  CLICK HERE

modage

the new Rolling Stone says that their new album will come out on OCTOBER 21ST.  it will be preceded by a month of club dates, and followed by a regular tuesday night spot on conan o brien during the month of november. :)

"We joke that everyone said the last record sounded like the late Seventies", says the Strokes Albert Hammond Jr., "and this one they're going to say is the early Eighties."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Dirk

From nme.com:

THE STROKES have revealed details about their eagerly awaited new album - describing it as 'more mellow' but with elements of MICHAEL JACKSON's 'BILLIE JEAN'.

Out of the 11 tracks set to make the final cut, working titles include 'Under Control', 'Nightmare', 'Supernova', 'Raga', 'Ze Newie', and 'Meet Me In The Bathroom'.

Drummer Fabrizio Moretti said: "We spent a lot of time looking for specific sounds."

Speaking about 'Nightmare', guitarist Albert Hammond Jr added: "That's probably one of my favourite drum sounds right there... It's kind of 'Billie Jean'-ish. We spent all this time to make it sound like a drum machine, but Fab still plays it."

According to singer Julian Casablancas, Nick Valensi "blew up two guitar amps getting that sound" for the solo in 'Supernova'.

The band's "first more mellow song", 'Under Control', was recorded live - annoying neighbours: "The neighbours on the seventh floor complained about the noise," said Hammond Jr. "It was four in the morning, and we had to pull the plug. And that was the take where we felt like we had it. But it was all right because we came in the next day and got it."

The Strokes also spoke about the aborted sessions with Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich. Hammond Jr insisted: "We got along really, really well".

He told Rolling Stone: "But we just had different ways of working. We'll spend days getting the right drum sound. We don't want to hear 'We'll fix it in the mix'".

As previously reported on NME.COM, The Strokes performed three new songs at Japan's Summer Sonic Festival in Osaka and Tokyo over the weekend (August 2-3). It was the band's first live show since winter 2002.

The new album is due for release on October 20.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

modage

Quote from: NMETHE STROKES have revealed details about their eagerly awaited new album - describing it as 'more mellow' but with elements of MICHAEL JACKSON's 'BILLIE JEAN'.

that quote is such bullshit.  nme always blows everything out of proportion and that quote is so out of context.  the strokes described ONE SONG as their most mellow, and talked about the drum sound on ONE SONG sounding like the drums on billie jean.  not a full album of mellow michael jackson influenced songs.  sheesh.          

post 1000. 8)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: Dirk'Meet Me In The Bathroom'.
that could be good.
under the paving stones.

moonshiner

Quote from: P
Quote from: Dirk
'Meet Me In The Bathroom'.

that could be good.

as long they don't start comparing that song to a George Michael tune, Wham years

drum clasp
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

European Son

This new record will make or break The Strokes. Either they're going to be one of the best bands of this decade or they're not. October 21 will tell all. It's my most anticipated album of the year. Very exciting.

Sleuth

Quote from: European SonThis new record will make or break The Strokes. Either they're going to be one of the best bands of this decade or they're not. October 21 will tell all. It's my most anticipated album of the year. Very exciting.

Well regardless, I think Is This It is a pretty good album and shouldn't be overlooked by the success/failure of the next
I like to hug dogs