A Guns 'n' f$!@ing Roses thread

Started by jtm, December 09, 2003, 09:48:30 PM

RegularKarate

That's old news though...

"Dr. Pepper For the Ears" would be a better title for the album though.

jtm

i started this thread but i haven't even read half the posts in it. yeah, i know, i'm a shitty xixaxer.

but this one caught my attention enough that i thought i had to post.

Quote from: Pas Rap on March 16, 2004, 08:30:37 AM
They we're the best hair metal of the '80s I think ... but now they have Bucket Head in their band. Bucket Fucking Head.

AC DC sucks though.

what the hell is wrong with Buckethead?!?!

sure, it's silly that he dresses up in a silly hat and mask, but his technical ability at the guitar is undeniable.

i've only heard about half of what he's ever recorded, but even that is miles above what the next "guitar prodigy" has ever done.. hell, just in 2007 alone he released 27 albums... his musical prowess has always amazed me. he can play funk, metal, rock, blues, jazz, chicken picken, acoustic, etc. better than most people at the top of their fields in those categories.

as far as his technical ability at the guitar, he's mastered it more than anyone else on this planet. don't go knocking him.

and as far as the new album that we may finally hear soon; i want it to be great... but after a decade of waiting, and it being the most expensive recording ever made, i don't think it can ever reach my, or anyone else's expectations.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: RegularKarate on September 30, 2008, 05:50:33 PM
That's old news though...

"Dr. Pepper For the Ears" would be a better title for the album though.

I know it's old news, I'm just providing the article as a reminder to anyone who missed it.  I don't like Guns 'n Roses, but I will gladly take a free can of Dr. Pepper.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy To Drop November 23: Report
Web site claims that's the day long-awaited LP will land on Best Buy shelves.
By Chris Harris; MTV

Well, it's looking more and more likely that Guns N' Roses' follow-up to 1991's Use Your Illusion albums, Chinese Democracy, will actually see the retail light of day in our lifetime.

Last month there were rumors that frontman Axl Rose had inked a deal with Best Buy allowing the chain to be the album's sole purveyor, and that GN'R's manager, Andy Gould, told 900 Best Buy employees during a Dallas convention that the LP would be on store shelves by November 25. Now comes word from Hits Daily Double that Interscope has arrived at a hard-and-fast, set-your-clock-to-it release date of November 23.

Although a spokesperson for Interscope had not responded to MTV News' requests to confirm the report as of press time, Hits Daily Double claims the record will drop the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving, giving the record a full seven days at retail before entering the December 2 Billboard chart; typically, albums are released in the U.S. on Tuesdays.

With the site reporting a firm release date, it seems Chinese Democracy is finally imminent, but without label confirmation, the report could just be the latest in a long string of rumors. A track from the album called "If the World" accompanies the closing credits of "Body of Lies," the new thriller starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe. Plus, Guns N' Roses' song "Shackler's Revenge" appears on the new "Rock Band 2" video game.

If the report is true, then November 23 marks the end to what's been a 17-year saga, rife with broken promises, confusing delays and rock criticism punch lines. And you'd have to imagine no one could be happier about it than Rose himself. In 2006, in an online posting that promised the band would do its best to have the record ready for release that year, the frontman said that "to say the making of this album has been an unbearably long and incomprehensible journey would be an understatement.

"Overcoming the endless and seemingly insanity of the obstacles faced by all involved, not withstanding the emotional challenges endured by everyone — the fans, the band, our road crew and business team — has, at many times, seemed for all like a bad dream where one wakes up only to find they are still in the nightmare, and unfortunately this time it has been played out for over a decade in real life," Rose continued. "The true ongoing behind-the-scenes triumphs and casualties are much more complicated than any negative speculation that media or otherwise has managed to hit upon. For much of the time some form or another of legalities have been taking place that really the best way to deal with publicly was to keep our mouths shut in an attempt to ensure the best outcome and especially one that wouldn't jeopardize the band or the album."

Despite all this, and with fans growing increasingly impatient for a taste of Chinese Democracy, Rose has still managed to tour — successfully, at that — as Guns N' Roses. The road to the record's release has also been littered with numerous leaks (one reportedly facilitated by former baseball catcher Mike Piazza), false starts and a number of sightings, where the singer has reportedly previewed his magnum opus for complete strangers. In 2006, Rose stopped into a New York nightclub to celebrate his 44th birthday and played 10 tracks for the club's owners and a group of friends.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy Track Listing Revealed On Pre-Order Site
List on Best Buy's site includes many songs that have leaked over the years.
Source: MTV

Chinese Democracy, Guns N' Roses' 17-years-in-the-making follow-up to 1991's Use Your Illusion albums, will feature 14 tracks when it's released November 25, exclusively through Best Buy.

According to a Best Buy's site, where the oft-delayed LP is available for pre-order, the album's title track will lead off the set, which features just one of the legendary rock band's founding members, frontman Axl Rose.

The rest of the tracks include "Scraped," "Shackler's Revenge" (which appears on the new "Rock Band 2" video game), "Street of Dreams," "If the World" (which accompanies the closing credits of "Body of Lies," the new thriller starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe) and "This I Love." There are also several tracks that have leaked online over the years in various stages of completion: "Better," "There Was a Time," "Riad N' the Bedovins," "Sorry," "I.R.S.," "Catcher," "Madagascar" and the album closer, "Prostitute."

The release date has yet to be officially confirmed by GN'R's label, Interscope, the band's manager, Andy Gould, or Rose himself. But all signs seem to indicate that the album no one ever thought would see the light of retail will be in stores in time for the holiday shopping season.

The revelation that the album will be released by 2008's end means Dr Pepper is going to be giving away a lot of free soda — so long as the soft-drink company makes good on its promise that everyone in America (except ex-members Slash and Buckethead) would get a free can of soda if GN'R released Chinese Democracy this year.

Rose has even gotten behind the idea. "We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album," he said in a statement in March. "As for us, this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others, we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album, I'll share my Dr Pepper with him."

According to sources, Dr Pepper is waiting for the release date to be made official before rolling out its plan to distribute free cans of its product. "We're waiting to hear about Chinese Democracy just like all the other GN'R fans," Tony Jacobs, the vice president of marketing for Dr Pepper, said in a statement last week. "But if the rumors are true, we're putting the Dr Pepper on ice."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

from the reviews i've read the album is better than the verve's recent turd of a album. only slightly better that is. what a waste of studio time, eh?

MacGuffin

Dr Pepper to deliver on its free-soda promise

LOS ANGELES – Dr Pepper is making good on its promise of free soda now that the release of Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" is a reality.

The soft-drink maker said in March that it would give a free soda to everyone in America if the album dropped in 2008. "Chinese Democracy," infamously delayed since recording began in 1994, goes on sale Sunday.

"We never thought this day would come," Tony Jacobs, Dr Pepper's vice president of marketing, said in a statement. "But now that it's here, all we can say is: The Dr Pepper's on us."

Beginning Sunday at 12:01 a.m., coupons for a free 20-ounce soda will be available for 24 hours on Dr Pepper's Web site. They'll be honored until Feb. 28.

http://www.drpepper.com

Skeleton FilmWorks

jtm

i've only heard 2 songs from the upcoming album, and neither did much for me.

but i am digging the album cover.

hedwig

i saw Chinese Democracy in the store earlier this week and realized there has not been a major pop culture event in recent history that i've cared less about. i even cared more about the Sex and the City movie.

did anybody here care? i want to hear about your experiences of anticipation, excitement, doubt, curiosity, and then finally hearing the album. i want to know what this meant to people who cared.

jtm

fuck everyone who posted in this thread that still considers G'N'R a hair-metal band.

mogwai