greatest PTA scene

Started by Alethia, April 08, 2003, 10:32:02 PM

Myxo

The awkward moment at the bar around the pool with Phil Hoffman in Boogie Nights. That is priceless stuff.

Redlum

More of a shot I guess but a lot of the actual content is read off Tom Cruises face.

The long tracking shot down the hotel hallway with Frank after the interview. Really quiet and tranquil with Jon Brions 'G Bb G, G Bb G' playing lightly.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Alethia

you mean after he gets off the cell phone w/ janet?  where he looks behind him and kinda speeds up as his crew tries to stay with him?

Redlum

Yes, yes. After that bit.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Alethia

72teeth

Jimmy Gator's Breakdown.
Although we may have to give Phillip Baker Hall this one.
"Just...play us a diddy,.. a Chopin diddy....(keel over: que embrassment, pain, regret, saddness, sickness....." Fried Fuckin' Gold!!!!
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Raul_Julia

The Matress Man commercial on the Punch-Drunk Love DVD where Philip Seymour Hoffman jumps off the truck, bounces off a mattress, and falls to the pavement.
Draco Malfoy is so emo.

Pubrick

Quote from: Raul_JuliaThe Matress Man commercial on the Punch-Drunk Love DVD where Philip Seymour Hoffman jumps off the truck, bounces off a mattress, and falls to the pavement.

we agree: http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2285&start=0
under the paving stones.

Rudie Obias

don cheadle buying donuts in BOOGIE NIGHT.  best PTA scene ever!!  "for the christmas"  indeed...
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

kassius

How about Magnolia when the WWDK goes on the air and you have this sequence where the camera pushes through to each character, like a chain, resembling their connection?

I liked how it went from Phil to Earl to Frank and so on.

When the camera looks up at Donnie, you hear Jimmy say: "And let me say: With these three kids right here, their going to be here for awhile, but today is
a dangerous day --
"

I love that.

Myxo

..the audio of Phil Parma crying over Earl Partridge.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Even though PTA and the actors think the scene feels like it's from a different movie,  my vote still have to go with the Donut shop and "the Christmas."  In retrospect, my subconscious said "so THIS is why everyone loves this movie!" during and after that scene. It has comedy, action, sadness (I think when the clerk gets shot it's pretty fuckin' sad) and a sense of hope all in one. Not to mention Christmas and all that 70's plastic.

My Vote: Donut Shop, Boogie Nights.

Others-
Sydney- Jimmy and Sydney in the car. "it fucks up the retail value!" and the way PBH goes "Mm-hm" without changing his facial expression.

Magnolia- Nothing stands out, but I really like Guzman with "That's not a rule? Oh that's a fuckin RULE!"

AlthoughWeAllLovePDLICantPickASingleSceneFromThatMothefucker

Pubrick

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionMy Vote: Donut Shop, Boogie Nights.
i think we can officially acknowledge this as the best scene. thinking about it now, i remember it's THE scene i always thought about during my boogie phase. even to the point of having an extended fantasy about the making of it. a lame thing to hav done, but rewarding.

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionAlthoughWeAllLovePDLICantPickASingleSceneFromThatMothefucker
hahah, no one blames u.
under the paving stones.

Finn

the funniest scenes are:

Sydney - When PBH is in the car with Sam Jackson. PBH pulls out a cigarette and Jackson tells him to put it out. PBH says "no" a few times and Jackson just gives up. Then he turns to PBH and says "alright....can I have on then?"

Boogie Nights - There were so many scenes in the movie that made me laugh. But particularly when Mark Wahlberg is at the record company and just goes crazy. There's just something hilarious about Wahlberg when he gets really mad.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

mogwai

let see if my memory serves me right. the funniest scene in boogie is when jack, reed and dirk is in the jacuzzi. in the background you can see scotty cleaning the swimming pool. that shit is phucking hilarious.