John Woo

Started by MacGuffin, March 18, 2004, 10:38:39 AM

SHAFTR

Rainbow 6, Spy-Hunter, He-Man, Metroid and a musical....how many of these is Woo actually going to do?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Woo putting 'Stranglehold' on vid games
Source: Hollywood Reporter

John Woo is renowned for his mastery of action, directing scenes with a choreographer's artistry that has influenced the likes of Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino. He also has earned the admiration of many video game makers, some of whom have paid him the compliment of trying their own hand at Woo's techniques.

He now is directing his own video game project, a next-generation action game titled "Stranglehold" set to be confirmed Wednesday at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2005. But more than that, Woo is intent on blazing a path for Hollywood filmmakers to control their own creative destiny in the fast-growing video game realm. And in fact it was Woo's experience checking out the scene at the annual E3 confab a few years ago that convinced him it was time to become more proactive in the game space.

"I went to E3 several years ago and saw my action style imitated in a lot of other games, and they were not even well done," Woo said. "I thought I should protect my trademark and produce my own video games."

That reasoning led Woo to form Tiger Hill Entertainment with his producing partner Terence Chang and entertainment executive Brad Foxhoven. As a hybrid between Hollywood and video game studio, the company's mission is to bring Woo's original story ideas to the video game realm and serving as a bridge between Hollywood talent and the game publishers and developers.

Vin Diesel's Tigon Studios, which last year released its first game, "The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay," is another creative entity looking to foster closer ties between Hollywood and video gaming creative community. Diesel, a gamer himself, has been able to secure Hollywood talent for his games, while finding good developers to create them. Moving forward, Tigon will develop original game properties like "Perrone" and work with game publishers on other projects.

Even the movie studios like Warner Bros. and the Walt Disney Co. are getting more involved in the development of both Hollywood and original IPs through their video game divisions. Warners and Disney now own game development studios that are working on original projects for current and next-generation game consoles.

But industry observers say the true promise of convergence between traditional filmed entertainment and video gaming lies in the hands of creatives like Woo.

Woo recently implemented his crossover business philosophy for Tiger Hill by working with Clive Barker to strike publishing and movie deals for his new action horror game "Demonik." Majesco will publish the next-generation game. Woo will produce the "Demonik" movie, which Barker is attached to produce, direct and potentially write.

Meanwhile, "Stranglehold" is Tiger Hill's first Woo-directed video game project. It is a next-generation action game that Midway is developing in Chicago for release in 2006.

"The 'Stranglehold' project is the natural evolution between Hollywood and games, said Rob Sebastian, managing director of games and technology at Endeavor, which brokered the deal. "This isn't just a trend but the future of gaming."

"Stranglehold" is a third-person, action-adventure game set in Hong Kong and Chicago that stars international action film star Chow Yun-Fat ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") in his video game debut. Yun-Fat is reprising his role of Inspector "Tequila" Yuen from Woo's 1992 feature "Hard-Boiled" in virtual form. The game promises to feature much of the hyperkinetic, choreographed action and slow-motion sequences that Woo is known for.

"With 'Stranglehold,' I want to go back to my roots and do a gritty, emotional and sensational game," Woo said. "It's kind of like my Hong Kong movie 'Hard-Boiled' but in a more updated environment. I never believed I could have topped my action in that film, but 'Stranglehold' will bring the action to an even higher level."

Chang said he and Woo will produce the game along with Lori Tilkin, who heads Tiger Hill's animation division and also is taking over the day-to-day management of the company.

" 'Stranglehold' is the first video game John has personally supervised and taken such an active role in," Chang said. "There is no one better than Chow to work with in exploring this cyber aspect of his Hong Kong films."

Woo said that with his background in film, he can bring stronger characters and better storytelling to the games. He also can recruit top Hong Kong action stars like his friend Yun-Fat.

"Video games, as a new medium, have given us the means to create truly original and unique forms of entertainment that we've never been able to create before," Yun-Fat said. "Being able to bring movielike action, where people can watch and enjoy, to the world of video games, where they can experience the adrenaline-filled action firsthand, is a great experience to be a part of," he said, adding that video games allow Hollywood the opportunity to push creative boundaries even further than on film.

Steve Allison, chief marketing officer at Midway Games, said that because of Woo's deep roots in the Hong Kong action film genre, his involvement in "Stranglehold" brings instant legitimacy and vision to the Midway development team.

"He's the guy that created this stuff, so everything from the kinds of moves in the game to the set pieces for action to the way our cut scenes are 'shot' and look to the way we do our particle, lighting and slow-motion effects will all be touched by John," Allison said. "He asks a lot of 'what if you could do this?' questions about set pieces or situations that set off incredible game play ideas in our guys."

Unlike its video game competitors, Tiger Hill also is in the film business and realizes the importance of ancillary revenue in ways interactive companies have not yet grasped.

"Video games, especially the action and horror ones, are heavily influenced by movies," Chang said. "But the successful games in turn spawn successful movies since there are already built-in audiences and marketing. As a movie producer as well as a game producer, it makes perfect sense for me to develop both at the same time from one idea (and) story."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

context, context, context.

pete

whatever Geroge Lucas's "got" when he directed episode 1 and 2 John Woo has it 10-fold.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Woo back in China to shoot thriller

John Woo is going back to China to shoot a neo-noir thriller for Bristol Bay Prods. The untitled project will be filmed in Beijing and will be produced in association with StudioCanal. Woo also will produce with Terence Chang through their production company, Lion Rock Prods. Caroline Macaulay of Lion Rock will be executive producer. One of the appeals for the filmmakers was the chance to shoot in China and explore the country's seemingly contradictory duality of being a communist-run nation with a capitalist impetus.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Woo: No Actors Flying by Wire in His Film

Hold the guide wires, John Woo says. Woo is dipping into the popular Chinese historical genre with his latest project, "The War of the Red Cliff," but won't be zinging his actors around the screen on cables as in recent kung fu productions such as Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

"It would be a joke to film it like some sort of kung fu epic," Woo was quoted as saying in an interview with Web site Sina.com.

The director said he had little interest in movies that propel their stars into the sky during fight scenes.

"Red Cliff" tells the story of an epic naval battle between powerful dynastic rivals as told in the historical novel "Romance of the Three Kingdoms." Now in preproduction, it will reportedly feature Hong Kong star Chow Yun-Fat.

Filming is expected to begin in China by the end of the year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

John Woo Films Cancelled?
Source: CANMAG.com

Here is another big update (if true) for the Fourth of the July holiday. According to a report sent over by 'Black Belt Hopeful', both John Woo's Spy Hunter and He-Man projects are being placed on hold.

John Woo has a lot on his plate with projects that include Spy Hunter, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, The Red Circle and The Battle of Red Cliff. It turns out that the director may soon have most of this same plate emptied.

Just got back from karate practice. A guy at my xxxx, xxxx, is a casting agent. He was doing some casting for John Woo's U.S arm last year - something
called "Spy Hunter" and a film based on the "He-Man" comics. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that - well, he says - those films are not getting up
"anytime soon", because 1) the studio got cold feet on both 2) Woo has gone onto other projects. 

Interestingly enough, they had been discussing names for the "He-Man" movie - everyone from Triple H, Matthew Davis, Chris Showerman, Paul Walker (Nicolas Cage was NEVER involved) - and the 'Spy Hunter" movie - The Rock was apparently as good as 'on board' - but he assumes that when/ if they get back up, they might be with new casting wishlists. (The films that Woo has gone on to do are "Battle of Red Cliff", starring Chow Yun Fat, and a film called "The Red Circle".

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

The Rock was, at one time, even mentioned for the part of He-Man which could mean he is getting the double shaft if this report turns out to be true.

So far we have received no confirmations on this report.

Spy Hunter is (was) targeted for a July, 2007 release.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Star-Studded Cast for Woo's Battle
Source: Cinematical

The last we heard about John Woo's long-simmering The Battle of Red Cliff was back in February, at which point there were rumors that it actually might be moving forward. And now, a mere seven months later, the project finally has financing lined up, a cast in place, and a confirmed start date. For those of you who have forgotten, the movie is based on a classic Chinese novel, and tells the true story of "the final days of the Han Dynasty in the year 208, ... [covering] the war that established the Three Kingdoms period, when China had three rulers." The central battle of that war took place, as you might have guessed, at Red Cliffs, and involved as many as a million soldiers.

Surprisingly, the mutterings about the cast have turned out to be mostly true: This morning's Variety reports that the film will star frequent Woo collaborator (back in the Hong Kong days) Chow Yun-Fat, as well as Ken Watanabe, Tony Leung and Lin Chi-Ling, who apparently is a Taiwanese model. The IMDb also lists Andy Lau in the cast, but his presence is unconfirmed.

Production is expected to begin next March, with release planned for early 2008.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Chow Yun-Fat drops out of John Woo's latest
The actor who got his start with Woo pulled out of "Red Cliff" just as shooting started.

HONG KONG (AP) — Chow Yun-Fat's withdrawal from a major Chinese historical epic directed by John Woo — the man who made him an icon — has raised questions about whether a local son has forgotten his roots.

Chow, who starred in Woo's classic 1986 film, "A Better Tomorrow," dropped out of the director's $80 million "Red Cliff" just as shooting got under way. He was the film's biggest star.

The 51-year-old Hong Kong actor said he submitted a request to pull out through his lawyers Friday because he only got the script last week and didn't have enough time to prepare. Officials for the movie dispute this, saying they couldn't work with Chow because he made unreasonable demands.

It's unclear what those demands were, but Woo's business partner-producer, Terence Chang, told Chinese news Web site Sina.com the movie's Hollywood insurer opposed 73 clauses in Chow's contract.

"There are too many (clauses we couldn't accept), and many exceed industry standards," Chang said.

China Film Group publicist Wen Wengli confirmed Chang's remarks.

Chang said Chow received a copy of the script last year and the version he got a week ago was a revision that incorporated his suggested changes.

The producer said Chow was promised $5 million for the movie, plus royalties from box-office returns. "We didn't mistreat him," Chang said.

Chow says he took a pay cut and agreed to be paid in installments. However, he acknowledged that he used a Hollywood-style contract.

"My contract is indeed based on contracts I use for Hollywood movies in America. Maybe everyone hasn't gotten used to Hollywood contracts because so many investors are involved," Chow said in a statement.

Filmmakers said the movie remains on schedule and Chow's replacement will be announced this week.

Chang has said the Chinese government views the film, based on an ancient battle, as a showcase of Chinese history and wants it released before the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

"Red Cliff" marks Woo's return to Chinese film after directing Hollywood movies such as "Broken Arrow," "Face/Off" and "Mission: Impossible II."

Chow's screen credits include "Anna and the King," "Bulletproof Monk" and the upcoming "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

You know, it's been so long since I've seen The Killer and Hard Boiled, I don't know if this is a bad thing or not.

MacGuffin

Leung returns to Woo's 'Battle'

HONG KONG -- Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, who quit director John Woo's "The Battle of Red Cliff" last month, will rejoin the $70 million production following co-star Chow Yun-Fat's sudden  departure earlier  this week, producer Terence Chang said on Thursday.

Leung was set to be with the production in Hebei, outside the Chinese capital next week, Chang, principal of Los Angeles-based Lion Rock Productions, said in a telephone interview from Beijing.

Chang would not say if Leung was rehired to replace Chow in the role of Zhou Yu.  Leung previously was cast in the role of Zhuge Liang, but quit in March due to scheduling conflicts only to be replaced by actor Takeshi Kaneshiro.

"Leung's one of the best actors working in Chinese cinema today, I'm so glad that he's coming back to the production," said Chang, whose Lion Rock is co-producing with the Chinese state-run China Film Group Corp and Chengtian Entertainment, both based in Beijing, and with CMC of Taiwan, Showbox of South Korea, and Avex of Japan.

Asked if the film's shooting schedule had been affected by the rapid series of cast changes Chang said, "Nothing is affected because we have so many characters in the story and it's so complicated, one actor will not affect the production."

As to whether popular star Chow's sudden departure from the production caused any backlash from any of the film's many investors, Chang said, "I thought there would be, but there has been none whatsoever. They all welcome Tony."

A two-part production based on a decisive battle fought in China's Three Kingdoms period (220-280AD), the film is Woo's first Chinese language film after more than a decade.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Chow Yun-Fat Expected to Return to Film

Chow Yun-fat has tentatively agreed to rejoin the cast of John Woo's new Chinese epic, "Red Cliff," a publicist for one of the investors said Monday.

Chow dropped out of the film as shooting began last month. The 51-year-old Hong Kong actor claimed he got the script late and didn't have time to prepare, an allegation that Woo's producer, Terence Chang, has disputed.

His departure generated headlines because of Chow's famous on-screen partnership with Woo. The filmmaker made Chow an icon after casting him in the 1986 Hong Kong classic "A Better Tomorrow"

Tony Leung Chiu-wai then agreed to step into Chow's role as the general Zhou Yu. Leung had previously left "Red Cliff" because he said it came too soon after his last movie. He was replaced by Taiwanese-Japanese heartthrob Takeshi Kaneshiro in the role of strategist Zhuge Liang.

Now Chow wants back in, too, after a round of negative press has given the impression that he was behaving like a prima donna.

Although he hasn't yet signed a contract, Chow has verbally agreed to return for a role to be determined, said Wen Wengli, spokesman for the state-run China Film Group.

However, major casting decisions won't be changed, he said.

At a press conference last week, Woo said Chow's withdrawal dealt him a heavy blow while he paid an emotional tribute to Leung for taking Chow's place.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Woo strikes gold on 'Ninja'
Will helm film; game is in works

John Woo is attached to direct and produce "Ninja Gold," a new intellectual property from video game creator Warren Spector.

Spector is best know for creating such games as "Deus Ex," "Thief: Deadly Shadows" and "System Shock." Fox Atomic will release the eventual film, with Woo's Lion Rock Prods. and frequent Woo collaborator Terrence Chang producing. Spector will executive produce.

" 'Ninja Gold' is a great property that is rich in mythology and perfect for John's unique visual style," Fox Atomic president of production Debbie Liebling said. "It speaks directly to Atomic's core audience of young adults, and I think they are going to love it."

"Ninja" centers on a ninja warrior, part of a centuries-old legacy and bloodline, forced to confront the reality of covert warfare in the modern world.

"The game concept is actually based on facts that the Yakuza and the Russian mob are involved in tons of gold being stolen in South Africa," Chang said.

Added Spector: "The idea actually started with John Woo. He wanted to do something involving traditional ninjas in a modern-day setting, and the idea just resonated with me. I was intrigued with the idea of what happens when the traditional and the contemporary come into conflict. And, to say the least, I was very interested in working with John on a project. I'm just a huge fan."

Spector said Woo was intimately involved in the creation of the "Ninja" cast of characters, especially the hero. He said Woo's input on the basic situations and thematic underpinnings of the story puts him in a great position to develop the film property without a lot of assistance from the game creators.

Chang said the film will be more reality-based but still will have fantastic elements from the game. He said the hope is to put the film into production next year, but that requires a script to be completed by then. No timetable or publisher has been announced for the game.

The collaboration between one of the biggest names in video games and one of the top action filmmakers took a different approach to creation. Spector said that typically, someone from Hollywood shops a film idea around to game publishers and developers in the hopes of getting a licensed game going. Somewhat less typically, a game developer will come up with a game that hits big enough to interest the movie folks.

"What happened with 'Ninja Gold' was very different and, to my mind, much cooler. I know that my thought from the start was to develop something that would work just as well in games as in movies, and I know John was thinking along the same lines," Spector said. "This was an attempt to create a concept that would work in, and be developed for, a variety of media simultaneously. That's something new for games -- and for movies."

Woo has been at the forefront of the collaboration, creating his own game studio, Tiger Hill Games, in May 2003. Through a publishing deal with Midway Games, its first title, "John Woo's Stranglehold," ships in August for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game is a virtual sequel to Woo's "Hard Boiled" and features Chow Yun-Fat reprising his role digitally for the game. Woo directed the game's motion capture and was involved in the game's creation.

The PS3 "Stranglehold" Blu-ray Disc will have the game and the original "Hard Boiled" movie on the same disc. Once the game has launched, there's the potential for a film based on the new story.

"We would definitely bring 'Stranglehold' to the big screen," Chang said. "We want to be very selective about producing games. We would like game titles to have all kinds of possibility. Having a movie made from them is certainly a major consideration for deciding on a title."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

John Woo sets next project: '1949'
Fortissimo Films to handle worldwide rights
Source: Variety

John Woo is to direct "1949" a big budget romancer that will crank up as soon as he has finished his epic "Red Cliff."

Pic is a $40 million Chinese language epic produced by Woo and Terence Chang's Lion Rock and Fortissimo Films handling worldwide rights outside China.

Based on true events at the end of WWII and the final years of the Chinese Civil War, pic will star Chang Chen and Korea's Song Hye-kyo (second ref: Song, please note I've used Variety's preferred spelling of this person) and Chang Chen (second ref: Chang). Screenplay is by "Lust Caution" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" scripter Wang Hui-ling.

Lensing will begin in December in China and Taiwan with theatrical release skedded for December 2009 and the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China.

Coin comes from investors including Ling I-Jun and China Film Group.

"A project of this pedigree is guaranteed to move people as it realistically portrays the realities of the history of the Chinese people and nation," Fortissimo co-chief Michael J. Werner said.

Skeleton FilmWorks